This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: After many years KDE 4 is still not ready

Trying to stay SOMEWHAT on topic...I used to use a lot of electric fence but we always had problems with rabbits in the garden.

Well, I was reading in The Mother Earth News one day and it said that rabbits may jump when they run but they don't jump when they walk, they hop. And because of that, they don't even to seem to think of an electric fence that is a few inches off the ground in terms of jumping over it. They try to crawl under, like a piece of brush, feel the electric field and back off.

So...i tried it and it woiked!!

Didn't keep the deer out though!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

While YOU might not be ready, KDE4 is for sure ... have a look at this, it's written by some guy in his 70s, who says it just takes a little good will and time to figure out how things work in KDE4 - hope this helps !

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/144200/index.html
      "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - Mitch Ratcliffe

Comment

I have to agree KDE 4.5 - 4.6 are definitely ready.

Comment

I am running Mint 10 KDE 32 bit, basically updated Kubuntu 10.10 for the most part. KDE 4.6.0 in my opinion is very good, the few problems I have encountered were mostly graphics card issues. Adding the xswat ppa repo and updating the NVidea drivers solved the biggest part of the issues I was seeing. I changed a couple of settings in KDE to resolve the crash at shutdown and restart, just a matter of a few mouse clicks really.

Kwin has improved by leaps and bounds in my opinion, I had desktop effects to some degree with the open source NVidea driver! All my applications work fine and launch quick. Plymouth works perfectly after changing a couple settings with StartUpManager, as a matter of fact it works so well I do not see any text at all.

KDE has gotten better and better with every release and the point releases seem to fix things up quite nicely. I do not see anything wrong with the locations of the various settings either, they get more organized with every release. Honestly, I don't have a single complaint about KDE 4.6.0 and the kubuntu packages and updates just keep making things better.

At this point in time I can't see why anyone would want to run KDE 3.5.

Comment

Originally posted by exploder
            ... At this point in time I can't see why anyone would want to run KDE 3.5.
            I can. That's what I use and it works. The reason for me to use it is that it would would be effort on my part to change and I'm not interested in expending any effort toward something which will not gain me something I need, because that would be at the expense of spending time towards something that I do need. Perhaps at some point I will be forced to change, but I'll deal with that if it happens. Mind you, I take a very dim view of being forced to do anything. Life is too short.

Comment

Here we are in December 2011 and things are getting worse for KDE, not better.

Its a disaster, its a goner, its a no-hoper dying horse that needs to be taken out and shot.

KDE 3.5 was the pinnacle of the KDE range. All it needed was some incremental improvements, and it would have ruled for the next two decades easily. Even if substantial work had to be done in the engineroom to refit it, so be it.

But no, nerdism happened. And killed it.

Bits of the underlaying structure are leaking through into the user experience - KDE Folks, I'm sorry but NOBODY CARES about Plasma. The desktop infrastructure is your problem, not the user's, and the new system is really clunky and awkward to use even after months of experience with it.

There is little intuition anywhere in the new interface, and there are still many, many bugs.

But what was the final straw for me was this realization. Whenever the slightest thing goes wrong with KDE, or I can't find something I need - let that last one sink in, this is KDE - it results in a 30 min to 1 hour excursion involving the reading of FORUMS.

I'm sorry, this differs from Apple or Microsoft's rubbish how exactly?

I don't care about any of the legacy window managers like fvwm, and I certainly dont care about any of the new flash in the pan ones like the Qt one or Unity. There will never be enough of a developer or user base for it to be worth anyone except compulsive fiddlernerds fiddling and nerding with them.

There are only the big 3.

GNOME - which went from Ok, to disastrous, to nearly usable now but a total barge.
              KDE - the story so far.
              XFCE - well, I tried it but it reminded me so much of GNOME (it IS basically just a cut down and streamlined GNOME style desktop), I deleted it in 20 minutes and went straight back into the KDE fight.

Now I've had enough. Early in 2012 I'm moving to XCFE to stay.

KDE Folks - this kind of motley crew 'community' rubbish is what sank GNOME to the point it nearly didn't refloat, and that bogged down XFree86 so much eventually Xorg was born because everybody needed X and didn't care about larval jihads.

And just to quickly dismiss the usuall silly retroll: "Why don't YOU do something about it then Mr Right??":

Why don't YOU? You're the nerds developing it. You're the ones who are supposed to care. You're the ones who f*****d it right up. YOU are the ones doing it WRONG. Its YOUR problem, not ours, and its a problem YOU created. YOU fix it.

I'm a clever and ingenious coder and designer and I say that with a straight face. I would have contributed to KDE 3.5, or 3.6, or 3.7....
              I feel like any work contributed to the 4 series is really just a monumental waste of my time during which the ticking of the seconds of my life going by into waste would be unbearably loud.

KDE-WRONG-Makers: Grow up and learn not to change things for their own sake, you can do that with your own backyard project, not with something that you know lots of people have come to rely on and look to.

And no, the complaining users (like me), are not being old fashioned, retro or luddite (you may have to look that one up).

We like stuff that works, and there are only certain ergonomics that work, and this has all been thrashed out before, and you are not being original. You are just being self indulgent, and getting the interface design WRONG. Yes WRONG.

I will end this note in the vernacular.

KDE 4, its a BIG, PIECE OF ****.

GNOME, its a BIG, PIECE OF ****.

XFCE, I dont like it but its the ONLY, OPTION, LEFT.

Thank You.

Comment

So install slax and have your KDE 3.5, and let us know how great it is.

Comment

I bet pilemoneyon still uses a rotary phone too :-D...

Nice thing about Linux is that its FREE! If you want to complain to someone who HAS to listen to you, then use a Mac or Winblows. End of story.

If you don't like KDE, use Gnome... If you don't like Gnome, use XFCE... If you don't like XFCE, then use E17... If E17 is too nerdy for you, use Fluxbox... Jezzz, this can go on for hours....

You get the point... If something doesn't work for you, change to something that does.

Hope you have a merry'ier Christmas than you apparently are now...

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by pilemoneyon
                    I feel like any work contributed to the 4 series is really just a monumental waste of my time during which the ticking of the seconds of my life going by into waste would be unbearably loud.
                    Time [write-this-rant] >> Time [apt-get install xfce4]

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
                      Time [write-this-rant] >> Time [apt-get install xfce4]
                      ^^^^ 8)

Comment

Its a disaster, its a goner, its a no-hoper dying horse that needs to be taken out and shot.
                        Now I've had enough. Early in 2012 I'm moving to XCFE to stay.
                        Rubbish,
                        Rubbish,
                        Good luck with that.

Your tale of woe reminds me of an old story....
                        A train rolls into the station and a man gets off. "How is like living in this town?", he asked an old man setting on a chair on the platform. "How was it like in the town you came from?", he asks the traveler.
                        "It was terrible, the place was falling apart and the people weren't friendly at all". "Well", said the old man, "you'll find it the same way here.". Disillusioned, the traveler got back on the train.

Another traveler stepped off the train and asked the old man the same question, and got the same reply. The second traveler responded, "It was a wonderful, beautiful town populated by wonderful people!" The old man replied, "It's the same here!". Delighted, the second traveler picked up his bags and walked to the hotel.

A bystander saw and heard both conversations and asked the old man why he told two different stories to the two travelers. The old man replied, "Towns are pretty much all the same. The only difference is the attitude of its occupants. Both travelers bring with them the attitude they had in the towns of their previous residence."

The KDE3 vs KDE4 argument is an old saw that doesn't play any more. I've been using KDE since its Beta 1 release in the 1998 release of SuSE 5.3. Every release has been a wonderful DE. Each had its problems, but if you were expecting a perfect DE then you'll have to supply the perfect developers to do the work. Good luck with that, too.

There were complainers when ver 2.0 was released, and there were complainers when ver 3.0 was released. To expect ver 4.0 would not have complainers is to not understand human nature. But, the KDE developers were not given any choice about the matter of the differences between 3.x and 4.x. This is because Trolltech, the creators of Qt, had a decision to make. They had been working on Qt since the middle of the 90s, and new hardware and technology made Qt3 outdated. They could either kludge Qt3 by trying to tack on new technology, creating a Rude Goldberg monster, or they could start fresh. They decided to start fresh. As one who was using Qt3 at work, the release of Qt4 was a breath of fresh air that returned Qt back to the standard C++ development model. If you had ever used Qt3-Designer to create applications you would understand the problem. Qt4 is built on a superior modular framework which will allow further development without having to start from scratch.

Hope you like XFCE4.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Not again...

Obviously, thousands if not millions would tend to disagree...

KDE 3.5 was the pinnacle of the KDE range. All it needed was some incremental improvements, and it would have ruled for the next two decades easily. Even if substantial work had to be done in the engineroom to refit it, so be it.
                          There was so much discussion back then as to why KDE3.X had to go. Plus, it looked dated. I do not want to run an OS that looks like it's from 1998. Just my opinion.

I will end this note in the vernacular.

KDE 4, its a BIG, PIECE OF #&%$.

GNOME, its a BIG, PIECE OF #&%$.

XFCE, I dont like it but its the ONLY, OPTION, LEFT.

Thank You.
                          Have you looked at Trinity? You might find a home there.
                          http://www.trinitydesktop.org/

As for me...I have a modern computer and couldn't imagine running an antiquated UI on it. Especially one that also has no support (QT3). Also, in this day and age, UI's need to be flexible enough to go onto many different devices and platforms.

Like I said, check out Trinity. Open Source is all about choice and freedom, after all.
                          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                          K*Digest Blog
                          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                          X