Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED]video standby every 10 minutes when mouse is not used (watching a video)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]video standby every 10 minutes when mouse is not used (watching a video)

Kubuntu Lucid, quad-core AMD w/4gb SDRAM, SATA HDD.

I have looked for all configurations relating to energy saving including the screen-saver, which I do not use. I have set all settings to about 4 hours. Nonetheless, if I am watching HULU, a TV program channel, about every 10 minutes the video portion of the offering goes off. The sound continues to play, but if I want to view a program, I am continually interrupted with (I believe) some energy-saving feature.

Additionally, I have checked the BIOS and nVidia configuration to see if there is some energy saving feature I have missed.

I have googled without success and have been trying to solve this problem for about a year.

I do not know how to write a program, but is there some way I can write an instruction that will overrule any standard energy saving feature? I desire using my computer for entertainment, as well as, regular personal business and net search.

In System Settings, I have checked every configuration entry, even those that did not appear to apply to my problem. I have exhausted everything I am familiar. Thanks for any help.

Re: video standby every 10 minutes, when mouse is not used (watching a video)

Maybe the Energy Star features ?

query:
    Code:
    xset q
    off/on:
    Code:
    xset -dpms
    Code:
    xset +dpms

More:
    Code:
    man xset
    NAME
    xset - user preference utility for X
    -dpms The -dpms option disables DPMS (Energy Star) features.

+dpms The +dpms option enables DPMS (Energy Star) features.

dpms flags...

The dpms option allows the DPMS (Energy Star) parameters to be set. The option can take up to three numerical values, or the `force' flag followed by a DPMS state. The `force' flags forces the server to immediately switch to the DPMS state specified. The DPMS state can be one of `standby', `suspend', `off', or `on'. When numerical values are given, they set the inactivity period (in units of seconds) before the three modes are activated. The first value given is for the `standby' mode, the second is for the `suspend' mode, and the third is for the `off' mode. Setting these values implicitly enables the DPMS features. A value of zero disables a particular mode.
    q The q option gives you information on the current settings.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: video standby every 10 minutes, when mouse is not used (watching a video)

Originally posted by Rog131
      Maybe the Energy Star features ?

query:
      Code:
      xset q
      off/on:
      Code:
      xset -dpms
      Code:
      xset +dpms

More:
      Code:
      man xset
      NAME
      xset - user preference utility for X
      -dpms The -dpms option disables DPMS (Energy Star) features.

+dpms The +dpms option enables DPMS (Energy Star) features.

dpms flags...

The dpms option allows the DPMS (Energy Star) parameters to be set. The option can take up to three numerical values, or the `force' flag followed by a DPMS state. The `force' flags forces the server to immediately switch to the DPMS state specified. The DPMS state can be one of `standby', `suspend', `off', or `on'. When numerical values are given, they set the inactivity period (in units of seconds) before the three modes are activated. The first value given is for the `standby' mode, the second is for the `suspend' mode, and the third is for the DPMS (Energy Star):
      Standby: 600 Suspend: 600 Off: 600
      DPMS is Enabled
      Monitor is On
      `off' mode. Setting these values implicitly enables the DPMS features. A value of zero disables a particular mode.
      q The q option gives you information on the current settings.
      Many times I thought I could not learn the Linux system at all. I was both happy and surprised when I typed 'xset q' in the konsole and found that DPMS was enabled with all 3 options set for 10 minutes. Then I typed in 'xset -dpms' and hit the enter key, after opening a root shell. When I typed in 'xset q' to see if change had taken place, I found that DPMS was now disabled. I am very happy and grateful. Thanks for the thorough explanation and instruction. You solved a problem I have struggled with for almost a year, not constantly, but off and on, in an attempt to try new things until I found a solution. Apparently my subject line was sufficient to get a read this time. Your explanation was just plain wonderful. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X