X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9.10 > 10.04 RAID 1 "mount point /dev/shm does not exist"

Hello all ,

I have not used the machine in in question for a bit, received it as a essentially unused left over from work. Built in adaptec RAID controller and plenty of drive bays + sata ports so I figured It would work well as a home media / file server.

Set up as RAID 1 and never had any difficulties setting up 9.10. I hadn't used it in a few months and decided to fire it up and get it running full time and the distro upgrade to 10.04 seemed to go flawlessly.

Upon booting however, i noticed some interesting grub entries, listed after memtest I have options referring to /dev/sdb1 with correct kernel versions. First listed is the last two kernel versions but no drive / mount reference.

No matter what I pick i end up getting dumped to a maintenance shell. errors as follows...

"mount : mount point /dev/shm does not exist
    mountall : mount /dev/shm [282] terminated with status 32
    mountall : Filesystem could not be mounted : /dev/shm
    mount : mount point /dev/shm does not exist
    mountall : mount /dev/shm [286] terminated with status 32
    mountall : Filesystem could not be mounted : /dev/shm
    fsck from util-linux-ng 2.16
    init: mountall main process (278) terminated with status 4
    Mount of root filesystem failed.
    A maintenance shell will now be started.
    CONTROL-D ... " etc etc

/dev/sdb1 comes back as clean and I did do manual fsck.

Oddity to me is that If I disconnect the secondary drive it seems to boot without a hitch!
    I think I tried just the primary drive as well with success.

I am computer proficient.. work in the field etc etc, never had an issue like this with linux. Some googling turns up other people having the mount issue with /dev/shm among other things, after performing upgrades. But they all seem to have a more severe situation

All data appears to be intact BTW.

Oh... side note.... I tried searching the forums but turned up every post with dev in it.... quotes didnt seem to make a difference ... any tricks to that anyone can think of ? I tried looking over several pages of results after performing various searchs and could not turn up anything directly relevant.

Oh, I noticed a few people saying grub or the boot folder was missing / corrupt. In my case they seem to be intact.

Thanks in advance for any help! I CAN rebuild, as always, but I would much rather not of course!!

ps---I do have multiple machines / drives and etc available so I hope I can accommodate any request!

Re: 9.10 > 10.04 RAID 1 "mount point /dev/shm does not exist"

Did you see this?: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114477.0

Comment

no sir ! am reading /trying now!

will post results. thank you!

oh i see now that is for soft raid... i do have a hw controller and would like to continue using it.

I mean.. I suppose it the sw method can work quickly then I can do that worst case. Anyone have any opinions on the speed compared to a hw controller handling the mirroring? I personally have never used SW RAID before .

Thanks again!

Comment

Hardware RAID is faster than software RAID.

However, many/most of the common consumer-grade motherboard host controllers (Marvell, Silicon Image, etc.) don't have Linux drivers available. You might pull it off with ndiswrapper and a Windows driver.

For commercial/industrial server design, a better choice for hardware RAID would be a card from someplace like 3ware: http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata.asp

which has Linux drivers for their products.

Comment

Working...
        X