Clear All

Announcing Kubuntu 6.06 LTS Release Candidate

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ay/000081.html

About The Release Candidate
    ---------------------------------------

The purpose of the Release Candidate is to solicit one last round of
    testing before the final release. Here are ways that you can help:

* Upgrade from Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Edubuntu 5.10 to the Release Candidate
    by following the instructions given above.

* Participate in installation testing using the Release Candidate CD
    images, by following the testing and reporting instructions at
    http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Current
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: Announcing Kubuntu 6.06 LTS Release Candidate

When I upgrade from Breezy, will my current custom applications be wiped out?

Comment

No, everything should stay almost the same, just new themes can be installed sometime...

Cheers

Comment

To upgrade: replace all instances of breezy on your sources.list to dapper (note: only on official ubuntu repos, if you try on others it may not work) and apt-get dist-upgrade, if your already on dapper, then just dist-upgrade, no need to d/l a new CD.

PS: FIRST TIME ON A COMPUTER IN 1 WEEK!!! I'M BAAACK!
        <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Heck, I'm downloading the RC version anyway (just finished download Flight 7, 6 hours before the RC version was announced!!! that was so annoying ). I'm downloading the torrent so that I'll be able to seed it till the official release arrives.

Welcome back Nirvana!
          Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

where can I find sources.list file?
            can someone post the contents here for reference to upgrade?
            thanks.

Comment

What do you mean?
              When upgrading from Breezy, just change the every "breezy" into "dapper" in your repositories.
              Or better yet, go into Adept (or Synaptic, whichever you prefer) and change the repositories from there.

The instructions are on the page I linked to above. But I'll quote them here again, for your viewing pleasure:

Upgrade information for Kubuntu 5.10 ("Breezy Badger") users
              ------------------------------------------------------------

* In Adept go to Manage Repositories and change "breezy" to "dapper"

* Click "Fetch Updates"

* Click "Full Upgrade"

* Click "Commit"
              Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

I did the same on my breezy install already yesterday. but nothing happens. its says no packages are to be upgraded. what could be faulty?
                i have no internet connection. will that make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by vinodis
                  i have no internet connection. will that make a difference?
                  Indeed it does, if you don't have a connection, you need to get your hands on a 'text-mode install CD' and add that CD as a repository...or you can do a reinstall with the Desktop CD (formerly known as the livecd) or with the 'text mode install CD'.

Either way, if you can't contact the internet for upgrades, I'd recommend waiting for the final release (which should be a few days away)

Comment

Yes, you need to have an internet connection in order to upgrade to Dapper from Breezy. It's recommended that you have a good bandwidth since we will be talking about downloading megabytes of upgrades.

@kubicle: is it not possible to use the Desktop (a.k.a. Live) CD as a repository?
                    Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
                      @kubicle: is it not possible to use the Desktop (a.k.a. Live) CD as a repository?
                      I'm not 100% on this (as I haven't tried it myself), but I remember reading somewhere about that being the case, perhaps someone can confirm this?

Comment

i had already downloaded the dapper CD ISO image and Tried the installation instructions as specified. But still no luck. It says no upgradable packages.

Comment

Which installation instructions were you talking about?

The Dapper CD ISO image is meant to be burned on a CD so that you could either run a Live CD and install from there (Desktop CD) or just directly install it on your hard drive (Alternate install CD). In either methods, it's assumed that you are installing on a blank partition/disk or overwriting (erasing) an existing one.

If, however, you have an existing installation of Kubuntu (either Breezy or any of the older versions), you just need to follow the instructions that I quoted, updating your sources.list. You need to be connected to the internet in order to update your repositories (so that it will show what packages need to be upgraded) and to upgrade the system.
                          Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

I am referrin to the instruction given in the release notes on upgrade using Adept. I followed that yesterday without success.
                            I learned about the sources.list file today here. Going to try it today at home. Hopefully it would resolve the issues.
                            But I am sure the Adept based upgrade not work.

Comment

Well, you don't need the CD ISO if you are going to follow the update instructions using Adept. But you do need an internet connections, and probably a good one at that (256kbps perhaps)? Anyway let us know when you run into some bumps again. And if you do, try posting the contents of your sources.list.

(Btw, just out of curiousity, did you click on the Apply bottom after you edited the repositories in Adept, before clicking on Fetch Updates?)
                              Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Working...
                              X