This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reaction to Please Read Before Posting

While your requests for info seem reasonable enough on the face of it, actually there are serious problems.

You ask:

* What release of Kubuntu you are using.
    * If Kubuntu is installed, is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation).
    * What version of KDE you are using.
    * What version of Grub you are using.
    * What other Operating Systems are installed.

The first two questions seem reasonable if you are using a machine that you have installed the OS upon. But if you are using a machine you inherited, how do you know? What test can you run to get the answers?

Even if you installed, how do you know the answers to 3 and 4?

5 is a crapshoot. And shouldn't you ask if it is running as a virtual machine?

I'm mostly a Windows guy. There are a bunch of free programs (like SiSoft Sandra and SIW that answer similar questions for Windows. I haven't found any equivalents for Linux.

Re: Reaction to Please Read Before Posting

Originally posted by pwright2

* What release of Kubuntu you are using.
    In the terminal, issue

Code:
    lsb_release -a

* If Kubuntu is installed, is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation).
    If you don't know, .... how is anyone else supposed to know?

* What version of KDE you are using.
    For any KDE package, click the Help > About KDE menu item.

* What version of Grub you are using.
    If Kubuntu 9.10 or later, you are using Grub 2. If Kubuntu 9.04 or earlier, it is "legacy" grub. If you are using some other OS to boot Kubuntu ... then it's your problem to figure out which Grub you are using.

* What other Operating Systems are installed.
    It can make a difference, and you are the one who needs to know this.

The first two questions seem reasonable if you are using a machine tha
    t you have installed the OS upon. But if you are using a machine you inherited, how do you know?
    Indeed ... and how should I know?

What test can you run to get the answers?

See above.
    Code:
    lsb_release -a
    shows the Kubuntu version,

Even if you installed, how do you know the answers to 3 and 4?
    Answered above.

5 is a crapshoot.
    What -- do fairies install unknown OSs on your computer during the night?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

What -- do fairies install unknown OSs on your computer during the night?

You're thinking of gremlins, not fairies.

Comment

dibl, you do realize that if the operator knows enough to issue the terminal commands you listed, they probably are not in the newbies forum?

And that a number of us (finite but large) are sitting at computers that we did not configure. Yes, we probably can see the machine going thru gyrations during startup but how many people know what the heck 'wubi' is? Or virtualbox? Or vmware? or ...?

So, if it is really important that this info be included to help a newbie (and I concede that it definitely is), why not provide a script they can run which will tell them at least some of it? Better yet, someone find (or write) a System Information for Linux program which will tell the user a lot more in a readable and cut/pasteable format.

Comment

I think that as a newbie, just post your question in the appropriate section of the forum and provide as much information as you can. If we need more information to help you, we will tell you how to get it. I think most of us don't even follow all of that most of the time because as experienced users we know what information is needed and what is not when we post a question.
          Never too old to learn
          Ault, CO, USA

Comment

Right -- what Detonate said.

@pwright2, I did not mean to be harsh or arrogant -- I realize there are folks who know lots about Windows and nothing about Linux, folks who know nothing about operating a computer at all, etc. etc.

But you also have to understand the limitations of helping other users in a Internet forum, when everyone is anonymous. For example, if a person claims to be "newbie" and inherited his Linux computer, we have to allow for the other possibility -- that the person is attempting to gain access to someone else's system. Likewise, if a person is so unfamiliar with "his" system that he's never used the command line interface before, probably an Internet forum is not the way to gain that initial familiarity. You could Google "introductory linux book" and start that way, for example. Giving linux terminal commands to a person who doesn't know what the terminal is, sounds fairly risky to me.

The point of the "Read Before Posting" instruction is to help both of us "cut to the chase". You can find many threads on this forum, and Ubuntu Forums, that stretch way out while the person trying to be of assistance uses 10 questions to discover what kind of computer and configuration the original poster is trying to use. Very inefficient, for both sides. It's far quicker if the OP just lays it all out in the initial request for help, and with Google available it's not that hard to figure out what it takes to get the basic information out of your Linux system.

Also, there is a bash script* that I've seen mentioned on Ubuntu Forums that runs the queries about the hardware and software configuration, but I can't put my hands on it at this moment.

I hope this helps explain "why" -- no offense intended.

*EDIT: Here it is: http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Comment

Example:

Welcome to KFN. You're about to post in the Help the New Guy board.

Please include the following information in your posts:

What release of Kubuntu you are using. I don't know.
              If Kubuntu is installed, is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation). What's Wubi?
              What version of KDE you are using. I don't know.
              What version of Grub you are using. What's Grub?
              What other Operating Systems are installed. Windows.

Information about your PC:

Type (Desktop or laptop): I have a laptop
              CPU (Central Processor Unit) make (Intel, AMD, ?) and whether 32-bit, 64-bit, or ?: I don't know - how can I find out?
              GPU (Graphics Processor Unit) manufacturer and model: I don't know - how can I find out?
              RAM (how much installed): I was told it has 1 gigabyte. How can I know for sure?
              HDs (number of and type internal - number of and type external): One as far as I know.
              Optical Drives (number of and type internal - number of and type external): There is a drive I can put a CD in.

This information, when provided, saves everyone a lot of time, and possibly wasted effort, when attempting to assist you with your question/inquiry/problem.

Even the answers above are helpful, as they give us information as to what the member knows and doesn't know. It allows the responder to better word the reply.

The point is, that this information is 'helpful' in getting to a useful solution. Nothing more.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

Even the answers above are helpful, as they give us information as to what the member knows and doesn't know. It allows the responder to better word the reply.

The point is, that this information is 'helpful' in getting to a useful solution. Nothing more.
                I understand the situation about being a newbie, it's easier for the experienced user to adopt then the fresh user to adopt the "new ways"- I consider this great feedback, and good that it's been brought to attention. Take the opportunity to give some basic know-how about the operating system - give commands!

The new and the experienced user have different know-how - accept it and adopt it

Some changes/addons to the text (change accordingly)

Please include the following information in your posts:

What release of Kubuntu you are using. (alt+F2 >type konsole > type lsb_release -a )
                If Kubuntu is installed, is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation).
                What version of KDE you are using. (alt+F2 >type dolphin > tab help >about KDE
                What version of Grub you are using.
                What other Operating Systems are installed.

Information about your PC:

Type (Desktop or laptop) look at (K-menu > Programs > System > Info central) if you have KDE 4.5.*> (?)
                CPU (Central Processor Unit) make (Intel, AMD, ?) and whether 32-bit, 64-bit, or ?
                GPU (Graphics Processor Unit) manufacturer and model
                RAM (how much installed)
                HDs (number of and type internal - number of and type external)
                Optical Drives (number of and type internal - number of and type external)

This information, when provided, saves everyone a lot of time, and possibly wasted effort, when attempting to assist you with your question/inquiry/problem.
                Snowhog have given me alot of feedback and help during the past 2 years, and I'm grateful.
                cheers Snowhog, for help in the past .. and future

/jonas
                ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Another part of this is to require that - even a newbie - do SOME of his own homework. Even if that's just posting and saying "How do I find out?"

We're all volunteers here and most of us have things to do ourselves. I love to help someone find a solution to a problem but I am not my brothers keeper...

Please Read Me

Comment

Jonas@

Thank you. I've made some changes to my >>> PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING HERE <<< post based on good ideas you suggested.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Now that, my friend, is what this forum is all about.
                      Never too old to learn
                      Ault, CO, USA

Comment

Working...
                      X