X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[FIXED] Error: Install Package - Failed to Lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock

Hi there. I am new to Kubuntu.
    I have installed Kubuntu 10.04.1 on my laptop as a dual boot with Windows Vista (on separate partition).
    So far so good.
    I seem to have a working Internet connection, as I can use Google search with Konqueror,
    but individual web pages will not load.
    To be able to post on this forum I have to use Windows Vista.

Problem is I can't get updates to any software either.
    When I try I get the following messages:

Waiting for authentication...

Error: Install Package
    Failed to lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock

I have searched the Internet for answers, but found only one mention of /var/lib/apt/lists/lock problems.
    They seem to be connected to people upgrading their Ubuntu install to higher version.
    But I have done a clean install with the newest available version of Kubuntu, 10.04.1

Also I can't get my screen resolution right.
    My laptop can handle 1280x800 (and 1024x768) but Kubuntu won't give me more than 800x600 in settings.
    Anyone know how to solve that ? (I did an Internet search for that too but didn't find clear (recent) answers for that.

I am aware I am very new to Kubuntu, and will need to learn a lot of new things, but if I just can get the basics working I know I will succeed to get it rolling.
    It's just very hard to get a system running if I need to reboot into Vista every time I need to search the Internet or ask on a forum.
    So any help is very welcome and will be highly appreciated.

On my part I can say that once things work sufficiently I will become an active part of the Kubuntu community and start contributing myself.
    I have experience in translating software and can contribute in that field.
    So I am not only asking, but am very willing to give as well.

Sincerely,

William

Re: Error: Install Package - Failed to Lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock

Hi William and welcome to the forum.

The error message suggests your package manager may have crashed. The default package manager (kpackagekit) isn't very good. Much better ones are synaptic or adept (I use the latter as I find it user-friendly). Adept also has an add/remove software entry which newcomers can find helpful.

Boot into 'buntu and load a terminal (konsole)

In it type (or copy and paste- Tip when in konsole you right click and then select paste)

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Return
    Then your password
    then return

That should clear the lock

Then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    return

That will update the list of packages available

Then

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    return

That will identify whether any packages have upgrades available, and download and install them. As you are using 10.04.1 there shouldn't be too many but there will be some.

Now

Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic adept
    return

That will install both synaptic and adept. Please be aware that synaptic is the ubuntu default and it will drag a number of other (gnome) packages with it - that need not concern you.

After that you can use either synaptic or adept to install/remove packages, updates etc (although for the latter you may just conclude that it's actually very easy to do it in konsole.

Now to the graphics. The most obvious question is what graphics card do you have?

Ian

Comment

Hi Ian. Thanks very much for your kind reply.
      I will try out what you posted above (but will need to reboot into 'buntu to do that and I can't load any web pages there yet).

In the mean time:
      The graphics card is a SiS Mirage 3 Graphics (Silicon Integrated Systems) and I think it is part of the SiS671FX Series Northbridge.

Comment

Ouch!!!! That doesn't appear to be a card that is fully supported out of the box.

A bit of trawling around has led me to here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=958967&page=37

Folks have got them working but they seem to have had to go through some hoops to get there.

One thing I would say is that in some of the instructions they use the term gdm. That's the gnome display manager. You will need to substitute that with kdm.

I'm intrigued by your ability to do a google search but not to load web pages. Have you set up a firewall?

Comment

Yeah, just my luck having the unsupported card I will take a look in th link you provided.

As for the firewall: I haven't touched anything relating to firewall yet, since I thought first to get the (other) basics working.
          That is; unless it's been automaticaly installed during installation. (I will have to reboot back to buntu to find out)
          Also I noticed at every time I start up Konqueror it asks me if I want to install a package of addons, and when I say ok go ahead and do so it will say they had allready been installed.
          So I though forget about Konqueror I'll use Firefox, but when I try to install the FF package (allready present) it doesn't do anything. So no FF.

About the list of commands for Terminal you gave me.

The only thing that appeared to work was the password being accepted at first command, but am not sure wheater the lock was cleared.

(And pardon me for the bad translation from other language)

About the Sudo apt-get upgrade:

E: Couldn't get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock -open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
          E: Couldn't lock the lists -map

About the synaptic:

Package synaptic isn't available, even though referred to by an other package.
          Possibly this means the package is missing, is redundant, or only available from an other source
          E: Package synaptic has no installable candidate

Anyway : the software update manager still gives the same error message as before.

Comment

The first command, when followed by your password should return you to your original command prompt. It should have cleared the lock.

It may be worth rebooting after clearing the lock and then trying to update the package list.

As regards the synaptic error, at this point all the packages your system knows about are those on the cd. That doesn't include synaptic. You have to update the package list with sudo apt-get update first. Note that it is sudo and not Sudo.

If it doesn't work after running sudo dpkg --configure -a and rebooting then it may be necessary to delete the lock manually, Lets try this way first.

Comment

I tried it but it won't work.
              Yes I did write sudo not Sudo. I copied exact as you wrote.
              Also after rebooting I can't get updates.

About the SiS drivers the following:
              I tried the solution of downloading the (SiS672 drivers) file containing a data.tar, a control.tar and a debian-binary (to my usb thumbdrive)
              Now I should execute the debian-binary file, but I don't know how to do that.

[edit: Now I managed to execute debian-binary (won't work while in usb thumbdrive, so moved it to Downloads), but get the following error : Conflicting packages - xorg-driver-sis671 won't be installed]

One thing is for sure: Never buying anything made by SiS ever again ! (this is not the first time their products give me grievances)

Comment

Waiting for authentication...

Error: Install Package
                Failed to lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
                When a package manager is running, it creates a 'lock' file so that another instance of a package manger can't run at the same time. If there is a crash or the program does not close cleanly for some reason, it will leave this behind. You may need to use the terminal to delete it if you still get the error after rebooting.

First, make sure you don't have KPackageKit running, then use this command to delete the lock file:
                Code:
                sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
                Note the filename and path are shown in the error message you got, the file can be in different locations.

Then run
                Code:
                sudo apt-get update
                Code:
                sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                and see if you get any errors, if so try re-doing the commands The Liquidator posted.

Comment

If Claydohs tip doesn't work, it suggests to me there is another angle to this. This, and your odd internet problem, makes me wonder something has gone wrong during the installation.

I assume that you've not actually got any data saved in kubuntu? If so, if the routines have failed I'd be inclined to reinstall but before you do, run a CD check at the options screen before choosing "try kubuntu" (I assume you are using the live cd) to rule out burn errors etc.

Then, once you have it working go straight to the update/upgrade/install synaptic (and/or adept) options I have mentioned. You should find yourself in better shape then.

Good luck!

Ian

Comment

I think the problems running Konqueror are related to the lock file as the codec/addons installer used at Konq's first run is using package management tools to install them, in this case it is failing to do so but isn't smart enough to give a proper error. The same is the case with the Firefox installer.

Unfortunately the graphic resolution problem is another kettle of (smelly) fish

Comment

Thanks for your replies ! Makes me very happy there are people out here that are willing to help out like you !

I managed to get my screen resolution fixed, and are now sporting 1280x768 pixels.
                      It was very difficult and involved a lot of trial and error, but I did it !
                      Many of the howto's I found out there were incorrect or posted with errors and I solved it when I started to get more feeling how to work with commands.

But my internet problems aren't solved yet though.
                      I hope someone has some ideas what action i might take, because it's taking me soo long to get my Kubuntu ready to use. Too much stress and frustration involved. I really want to start enjoying it the way it's ment.
                      Anyone ? :P

Comment

Please start a new thread concerning your Internet issue.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi! I' m new in kubuntu and i have the same problem with the same video card. I still cant get the screen resolution. How could you solved that problem?
                          Thanks in advance.!

Pd: sorry for my english, i'm spanish Speaker...

Comment

Working...
                          X