Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Introducing Muon, a new Package Manager under Development by a Kubuntu Dev

It's better than KPackageKit...thanks.

But KPK has automatic notification of newest packages in KDE system tray. How can I enable it with Moun?

And I can't see in Moun an option like "lock package" in synaptic. Will it be introduced in the future?
    I'm an Italian user, sorry if my English is bad...

Comment

The developer is blogging here > Jonathan's Blog

With the QApt/Muon 1.1 alpha
      [img width=400 height=219]http://jontheechidna.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/muon-config-2.png[/img]

Packages for the Maverick can be found from the > QApt PPA

The Natty packages > About Natty-changes >> [ubuntu/natty] muon 1.0.60-0ubuntu1 (Accepted)
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

There aren't Muon preferences in 1.0.2 version for Lucid...
        I have echidnaman/qapt repository.

How can I install 1.1 alpha version with Lucid?

Comment

> Jonathan's Blog >> QApt/Muon 1.1 alpha released:
          Unfortunately, QApt 1.1 cannot be provided to users of Kubuntu 10.04 as its version of APT is too old. QApt 1.0.x will continue to be supported throughout the 1.1 prerelease cycle, however.

Earlier, the aim (?) is the Kubuntu 11.04.
          ...So let’s just let Muon and QApt cook for a while, and then we can see where we stand for Kubuntu 11.04....
          ...So, enjoy Muon. QApt will be getting a bit of use via QApt Batch in 10.10, but until 11.04 we really need to test the heck out of QApt and Muon to ensure that Muon will be a good choice for inclusion by default in 11.04...
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
            Unfortunately, QApt 1.1 cannot be provided to users of Kubuntu 10.04 as its version of APT is too old. QApt 1.0.x will continue to be supported throughout the 1.1 prerelease cycle, however.

Understood...

Comment

Yeah, a notifier will be included with Muon 1.1. But as stated, unfortunately packages can't be made for 10.04.

Comment

Originally posted by JontheEchidna
                Yeah, a notifier will be included with Muon 1.1. But as stated, unfortunately packages can't be made for 10.04.
                Because the libqapt (sp ?) can't be upgraded?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yup, and Muon 1.1 requires QApt 1.1.

Comment

Thank you for creating such an awesome piece of software. This will definitely be replacing KPackageKit and that lot. I'm running Maverick and have yet to run into a hiccup. This is really the type of package manager Kubuntu needs. With all the work that has been put into making 10.10 usable (yes, I remember the downward spiral that was past releases), it is good to see some green shoots.

I have to say, I was sceptical about wanting to try Ubuntu / Kubuntu again, since Ubuntu locked me out of my encrypted home directory after a "minor" security update. This time I decided to go with a standard LUKS partition because you can't really go wrong there. But that is offtopic.

Anyways, I would like to know if you will be including support for something akin to the "apt-get autoremove" feature where let's say you want to remove Amarok, you could get all of it's deps as well that are orphaned. (And yes, I prefer Clementine). If I have missed this feature, let me know as well.

Also, I think it might be a good idea that when you click the "Apply Changes" button that you show a popup window listing all the changes made. The first time I used Muon, I thought it was weird that it just started installing and removing stuff without giving me a review of the changes I could peruse to make sure I didn't miss anything. If anything, it would make a good optional feature, but I think this should be default.

Speaking of default, I really hope Muon becomes the default package manager in 11.04. It sure kicks the shiznits out of PackageKit.

Comment

As of now there is a "preview" button in the toolbar, which will show you all packages that will change. The reason for this is that I'm really not a fan of popup dialogs.

I do plan to in the future make an optional popup confirmation dialog, for those that would prefer this. There are higher priorities at the moment such as getting the new Muon Software Center ready for its initial release for version 1.1, so a confirmation dialog is on the back burner for now.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Comment

thats looking good. one quick question , will it be possible (in muon) to select more then one package at a time for install. instead of only using the "install" button after selecting a package.
                        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

From the linked article:

But what if there were a way to alleviate both of the factors contributing to the lack of stellar package managers? What if all Qt package managers for Debianish systems

could share one underlying library to interface with the system package cache?

What would happen if the success of a package manager was not limited by the difficulty of writing a low-level package management backend, but rather was solely dependent on the quality of the user interface?
                          The above concept would seem to me to be something that should be intuitive and should have been something done several years ago when things settled basically on Debian, then Ubu and BSD.

I don't know how many different "photo programs" that I have seen that when one looked in the eeensy teeensy print on the box one found that the company had just put a different front end on the original, sometimes updated, Arcsoft PhotoStudio software.

If his idea were applied to a "music player" to get the guts to do EVERYTHING.... and then the people that have spent so much time and energy on what we now have in the dozens of players... could concentrate on absolutely unique interfaces that would attract oodles and oodles of users. And also maybe tweak the guts since the guts would be there to ....tweak!

woodsmoke
                          sigpic
                          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                            thats looking good. one quick question , will it be possible (in muon) to select more then one package at a time for install. instead of only using the "install" button after selecting a package.
                            I plan on making that possible, but it's currently not implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by JontheEchidna
                              Originally posted by sithlord48
                              I plan on making that possible, but it's currently not implemented.
                              awesome!
                              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I just tried muon package manager and software center and I can only say: WOW I hope it will be default in 11.04.
                                Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Working...
                                X