Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Introducing Muon, a new Package Manager under Development by a Kubuntu Dev

This package manager is slick. I installed audacity with it. In the dependencies tab there was a list of packages needed. It appears to have installed them automatically? Or did I already have them? Does Muon install dependencies automatically or is there a way to chose the ones you want?........and want to avoid.
    OS: Win7 Prof. X64, XP Prof. x86. WD 160GB X3 RAID 0<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid X64 LTS. <br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 10.10 Maverick X64 KDE 4.6.2<br />MB: abit IP35 PRO. Q6600 OC: 3204MHz. <br />RAM: OCZ 1066MHz 8GB (4X2GB) <br />Graphics: Nvidia 9800GTX+ OC: 823/1265<br />Displays: LG 1280X1024. Asus 1680X1050

Comment

Like all good package managers, dependencies are identified, and if not already, installed along with the package(s) you've selected. Don't confuse dependencies with recommends. You can't opt not to install a required dependency, but you can choose not to install any recommends.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

OK so today I notesed wile looking around at packages in Muon at the bottom line of the window whar it seas 30,000 packages...2000 installed bla bla that 4 were upgradable so I close and check apt-get and yes the same 4 packages.

so back to Muon click full upgrade get a screen showing the 4 packages click aply and all goes well..........exept!! .... after instaling & rechecking the package cake the package list wouldent display eney more untill I restarted Muon.

but other than the miner glitch it worked fine with good display of info (the dpkg output in a terminal like popup would be nice instaed of just progress bar but hay) and done like you expect looking at the controles.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Like all good package managers, dependencies are identified, and if not already, installed along with the package(s) you've selected. Don't confuse dependencies with recommends. You can't opt not to install a required dependency, but you can choose not to install any recommends.
          thanks. I didn't know that. When I install packages with Synaptic after I select a package to install I would right click the package and then click on the recommends and add them. I did think they were dependencies. I figured mark suggested were optional packages. Always learning I am.
          OS: Win7 Prof. X64, XP Prof. x86. WD 160GB X3 RAID 0<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid X64 LTS. <br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 10.10 Maverick X64 KDE 4.6.2<br />MB: abit IP35 PRO. Q6600 OC: 3204MHz. <br />RAM: OCZ 1066MHz 8GB (4X2GB) <br />Graphics: Nvidia 9800GTX+ OC: 823/1265<br />Displays: LG 1280X1024. Asus 1680X1050

Comment

I just dist-upgraded my Kubuntu 10.10 and got the new Muon, ver. 1.0.1. I spent 3 minutes poking around in it, and I must say this is turning into a very nice piece of work! Congrats to Jonathan!

Comment

I just did the same in my Maverick guest OS, and installed Muon.

It's OUTSTANDING! 8)

IMO, it is ready to replace Synaptic.

Jonathan, is there a deb package ready for Lucid Lynx?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

This maybe? --> https://launchpad.net/~echidnaman/+archive/qapt/

Comment

My favorite feature is listing packages by Origin, which shows you packages only in a particular addon repository (ppa's for example)

Thank you Jonanthan!

Comment

+10000000000!!!!

Comment

Just looked at that. Yes, that is a wonderful feature. I think that this has already been asked for, but if it hasn't...

When you click on any package, four tabs: Details, Technical Details, Dependencies, and Changes List provide you with good information. But I've always wanted to know from what repository the package was from. Yes, with the use of the Origin view you can figure it out, but you have to click on each of the repositories to find out. I'd like to see a fifth tab - Origin - that would contain this information.

Muon is, and I'll say it again, as have others, an outstanding application, the more so given how new it is. Rarely do we see such a feature rich and (near fully) developed an application released for use as Muon. Great job John. Absolutely great!

Comment

Well put, SnowHog!

Since it is built using Qt and rides upon KDE4, I have no doubt that it will become the default KDE4 package manager, at least on my boxes! The less I have to depend on GTK+ the better off I will be.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I am using muon on both lucid and maveric, always without a problem.

Quote from snowhog:
                          I'd like to see a fifth tab - Origin - that would contain this information.
                          I forward that motion
                          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I'd like to get that feature in muon, too.
                            Multibooting: Kubuntu Focal Fossa 20.04
                            Before: Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                            Win 10 sadly
                            Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

just installed the ppa, with muon 1.0.1 its already better then the stock kpackagekit. only thing im not liking so much is that i can't right click on a package to install/update/remove (i.e synaptic style) other then that WOW. im impressed.
                              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                                just installed the ppa, with muon 1.0.1 its already better then the stock kpackagekit.
                                apt-get from the CLI is better than kpackagekit!

Muon is an amazing app. The more so given the short period of time it has been 'available.' John is to be highly commended for an amazing application.

Comment

Working...
                                X