• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot shutdown to powered off state

Bug filed:

Bug #598674 in Ubuntu: “alt/sysreq/reisuo Required to Power Off”
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/598674
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Re: Cannot shutdown to powered off state

After a required clean re-install, now alt/sysrq/REISUO is not allowed. All attempted shutdowns only resulting in a "halt" state, requiring pressing the power button.

john@john-laptop:/usr/bin$ uname -a
    Linux john-laptop 2.6.32-24-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 19 01:12:52 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    john@john-laptop:/usr/bin$ sudo lsb_release -a
    [sudo] password for john:
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
    Release: 10.04
    Codename: lucid
    john@john-laptop:/usr/bin$

KDE version: 4.4.2

A dist-upgrade with an unanticipated trip to KDE 4.5.0b, left my machine in an unresponsive post-login condition. Thus I wiped my root partition (sda1) and left /home (sda2) intact (but backed up) and re-installed from my Shipit CD.

Other than that, Lucid still works great!!
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Re: Cannot shutdown to powered off state

O.K., I gave up on this bug.

I tried adding "acpi=force" to the boot string, knowing that sometimes it has worked in the past and sometimes has not. I did this because Kubuntu complains about my BIOS being too old and ACPI is incompatible with the age. At times playing with APM in the modules file works alright, at times not.

Anyway, forcing ACPI works and my laptop shuts down normally -- for now, under Lucid.

Comment

Working...
      X