X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWTO Configure KDE and Akonadi so it just works

Added Jul 2,2011:
    A few days ago, I followed these instructions, this time on HP 64-bit laptop (Natty), and again, it worked flawlessly.

Added May 9, 2011:

I just followed my own instructions below while in Natty Narwal 11.04. Kontact/Kmail works perfectly. I copied my ~/.local/share/contacts/* in Maverick to ~/.local/share/contacts/ in Natty, and I have all my contacts available to me.

DISCLAIMER: The following worked for me. MY CPU IS AN INTEL PENTIUM 32-BIT DUAL-CORE and this was done on Lucid Lynx 10.04. I went through a lot of pain and many posts on KDE Community Forums before I got it all figured out. I am reasonably confident that the following is complete, and that when followed, will get Akonadi working with KDE, and that your Contacts will once again be readily available within Kontact as they are supposed to and as you expect them to be.

Do all the following with Akonadi stopped and Kontact/Kmail shutdown.

System Settings > Advanced > KDE Resources > Contacts
    You need to add akonadi as follows:

Click on Add... and click on Akonadi Address Books
    If Personal Contacts isn't displayed in the Akonadi Address Books Resource
    Settings
    then you have to:

Click on Manage Adress Book Source > Add... > Personal Contacts
    Point the Directory to: ~/.local/share/contacts/

Back in Configure KDE Resources, click on akonadi and click Use as
    Standard
    and click Apply

Akonadi server needs to be running before Kontact is launched to avoid Akonadi
    Server Self Test errors, and to ensure that your Contacts will be seen when
    Kontact is launched. We accomplish this by adding an entry to Autostart as
    follows:

K > System Settings > Advanced > Autostart > Add Program...
    In the pop-up, type: /usr/bin/akonadictl start and click OK
    Check Enabled Startup

Akonadi requires that Contacts be located in ~/.local/share/contacts/. The default Address Book used by Kontact is located in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc. If you don't have folders created there, you will have one or more .vcf files. These need to be copied to ~/.local/share/contacts.

Once all this is completed, logout of KDE and do a shutdown/restart. When you
    log in (KDM), and your Desktop is presented, Akonadi will have been started,
    and if you launch Kontact it will run, Akonadi will not pop-up with errros,
    and your Contacts will be available in Kontact.

I went through a lot, with many posts on KDE Community
    Forums, before I got this straightened out. Since then, I have had zero Akonadi
    errors, Kontact launches and my Contacts are always available.

And yes, a user should not have to go through all of this pain to have Akonadi working with KDE. I personally fault the developers for not having put just a bit of effort into writing a transition program that would do all of this for the user. Such a script could be written, and IMO, needs to be.
    Attached Files
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: HOWTO Configure KDE and Akonadi so it just works

HI Snowhog nice recap

I set mine up the same way after reading through pages of your "discussion"on kde-forum

Now if I could only get google cal resources to sync with gcal everything would be hunky dory.

Google contacts syncs nicely.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thank you, Snowhog! It worked perfectly.

Comment

Akonadi requires that Contacts be located in ~/.local/share/contacts/. The default Address Book used by Kontact is located in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc. If you don't have folders created there, you will have one or more .vcf files. These need to be copied to ~/.local/share/contacts.
        "Good golly Miss Molly." I went blind trying to find whatever I could to make Akonadi work with stability.

This isn't at all intuitive, and I can't believe if that fact was advertised somewhere, I somehow missed it. That needs to be fixed or logged as a bug (if it isn't already). Kontact and Akonadi are supposed to work together, but how can they if they have no common configuration out of the box. No wonder it felt like KDE, Kontact, and Akonadi were at war all the time. I'm still not going to dump Thunderbird/Lightning and go back to Kontact just to try that; too much time invested in the alternative. But thank you Snowhog for that effort.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I'm still not going to dump Thunderbird/Lightning and go back to Kontact just to try that; too much time invested in the alternative. But thank you Snowhog for that effort.
          I believe that by kde4.5.1 akonadi and kontact should be happily married.

I hope by then they get the syncing of google-resources fixed.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Well this was jet another effort to fix Akonadi and that did not work.
            After I stopped Akonadi and went add went KDE resources -> Add...
            -> Akonadi Addressbooks then nothing happened. I tried it a second time
            then a window came up, showing the familiar "Akonadi not operational" image.
            And clicking on the Details then the usual error messages came up...stuff had already fixed in previous trials.

Actually Akonadi was working directly after the upgrade and converted also my addresses, but then it fell apart and I have not found a way to fix it. Some [solved] issues where temporarily and Akonadi showed again errors after reboot. Same experience for my other 2 PCs where I upgraded to Lucid.

So I have been forced to go to Ubuntu/Evolution, which is much simpler, but WORKS!

Comment

It seems to work now, at least for Contacts! Thanks, Snowhog, for posting this!

At the moment when I check the status of Akonadi, I get:
              $ akonadictl status
              Akonadi Control: running
              Akonadi Server: running
              Akonadi Server Search Support: not available
              What does the line with Search Support refer to?

Also, when I use the Akonadi resource for my Calendar (in Kontact) it crashes quite often... it's the same file as in the standard resource (std.ics). Should this be copied to a special folder as well? (currently it resides in ~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics)

So, is there anything else I can do with Akonadi? Except Contacts and Calendar in Kontact.

Comment

Chopstick@

Don't have an answer for you, but suggest that you post your question on KDE Community Forums

Likely, both the location of, as well as adding the KDE Resource is required, just as it was for the Contacts.

Comment

I found the reason for
                  Code:
                  Akonadi Server Search Support: not available
                  It was because I had Nepomuk disabled... so it is not really a problem.

With Nepomuk enabled I get
                  Code:
                  $ akonadictl status
                  Akonadi Control: running
                  Akonadi Server: running
                  Akonadi Server Search Support: available (backend: Virtuoso)
                  Which is what is what is supposed to happen, I believe.

Of course I'm not indexing any files (Strigi disabled), but maybe it is indexing my contacts?
                  And in KDE 4.5 also my email?

Chopstick

Comment

Hi Snowhog
                    I just crossed over to 64 bit Lucid, and there seems to be a lot of things that are different from the familiar 32 bit.

You wrote:
                    We accomplish this by adding an entry to Autostart as
                    follows:
                    K > System Settings > Advanced > Autostart > Add Program...
                    In the pop-up, type: /usr/bin/akonadictl start and click OK
                    Check Enabled Startup

However, when I started writing the string, there appeared a list of no less than 23 items starting with
                    "usr/bin/akonadi_", none of them adonadicti. There was no way of convincing the gui to accept "akonadicti". So I tested the one that offered "/usr/bin/akonadi_contacts_resource"
                    No go.

Then I added two:
                    "/usr/bin/akonadi_knut_resource" and "/usr/bin/akonadi_vcard_resource"
                    Rebooted: One of them worked. I don't know which.

I tested "distribution lists", which has been an issue. It's still not working.

Attached Files

Comment

Well, it isn't akonadicti that you have to type; it's akonadictl (that's a lower case L at the end).

paul@mybrainonlinux:~$ locate akonadictl
                      /home/paul/.config/autostart/akonadictl.desktop
                      /usr/bin/akonadictl
                      paul@mybrainonlinux:~$

Comment

My mistake: worked now, or rather, adding the akonadictl worked, but after reboot, the familiar error message appeared again. I threw it out and tried various combinations. The one that works is the one I described yesterday:

/usr/bin/akonadi_contacts_resource (did not work alone)
                        /usr/bin/akonadi_vcard_resource (did not work alone)
                        usr/bin/akonadi_knut_resource (I just tagged this on for good measure - have no idea what it is)

Comment

Originally posted by Chopstick
                          Also, when I use the Akonadi resource for my Calendar (in Kontact) it crashes quite often... it's the same file as in the standard resource (std.ics). Should this be copied to a special folder as well? (currently it resides in ~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics)
                          I was having issues with the Calendar as well. I had also set up the akonadi resource for the Calendar. That, according to one of the Moderators on KDE Community Forums, is the problem. Akonadi isn't yet configured to work with Kontacts Calendar. So remove that akonadi resouce from KDE Resources > Calendar, so that you only have ~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics and it is checked and set as Standard > Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                            DISCLAIMER:
                            I just thought I'd mention this: In 32 bit Lucid I followed your instructions to the last comma, but there was no need to copy the contacts - they were there.

However, in the freshly installed 64 bit Lucid, it turned out that not only were there no contacts in ~/.local/share/contacts, there was no such folder at all. In spite of my having checked that the directory was pointed to in the "manage address book...add" box. So I created ~/.local/share/contacts and now akonadictl works.

Comment

Sorry to be a bore, but having reinstalled Lucid 64 bit (AGAIN! - still experimenting), I again found that the relationship between Akonadi vs Contacts was unstable. Sometimes Akonadi started first, sometimes not. I found a post on Launchpad that has so far seemed to settle my issue. (Have rebooted at least 5 times and each time found my contacts waiting in Kontact.)

IN ADDITION to adding to KDE resources as described by you, Snowhog:
                              Go to System Preferences
                              -> Open Autostart
                              -> Add program...
                              -> insert: akonadictl start
                              -> Select "start in terminal" (or something like that)
                              -> Ok
                              -> Ok
                              -> Close program and restart (K)Ubuntu
                              ENDQUOTE

In other words, not /usr/bin/akonadictl start, JUST akonadictl start
                              Source: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...di/+bug/564263
                              Written by Cra**** on 2010-05-26 (last post to date)

Comment

Working...
                              X