X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOWTO: Add KDE 4.5.0 Repository

Hmm, weird that it's different at your KDE
    Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Re: HOWTO: Add KDE 4.5.0 Repository

A Word of Warning!

I just upgraded my laptop and my desktop from KDE 4.4 to 4.5. Went quite smooth on my laptop; the only problems were two missing libraries for kontact. This was annoying but not too difficult to fix: start kontact from the command line and it tells you what libraries are missing ('libkontactinterface4' and 'libakonadi-contact4'); install them manually/via apt-get, and it works.

On my desktop I was not quite so lucky: the kontact problem was the same and easily fixed, but first KDE would simply not start! After restart upon login, I get the message that the selected session type (kde) is invalid, and the option disappeared - I was left with 'failsafe' and 'IceWM' (my backup window manager, in case KDE breaks, so I can still use a web browser), and could not log-in to KDE. I had to install 'kdebase-workspace-bin' and 'kubuntu-desktop', both of which were apparently not installed during the upgrade due to some conflicts. I used aptitude, which makes useful suggestions to resolve conflicts; I accepted the first proposed solution, and now it works fine.

I'm reporting this here so that it may save others who run into the same problem some time searching the Internet (there are lot's of forum discussions about this).

Chopstick

Comment

Working...
      X