This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You 'might' need to let it run

While Skyping with one of my supporters, a notification popped up about a netware upgrade to Lucid. He took the upgrade -- about 120 new files, upgrading 1287 existing files, 878Mb total, 2 to 6 hours time. He let it run over night. When he rebooted in the morning he had a shiny new Lucid Lynx desktop. The upgrade ran perfectly, as does the desktop. Oh, when I closed down my Skype connection with him his download speed was about 150Kb/s.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: You 'might' need to let it run

Greetings,

My laptop, Toshiba Satellite, took about 2.5 hours to upgrade. I had it hooked to Ethernet instead of going wireless, which would probably have taken the better part of a day. The upgrade went without a hitch. It downloaded, installed, cleaned up and rebooted as I was expecting it to, perfectly.

Now, to install it on my Core 2 Duo that is about to be freed from the clutches of Windoze. Woohoo!

Lucid somewhere in the Mid-West, U.S.A.

Rick
    "Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace." - Me

Comment

I for one have never had a problem upgrading "via" the web
      they always go without a hitch...
      "knock on wood"

Comment

Greetings,

I only had a problem once, with the online upgrade, when upgrading my laptop to v9.10. When downloading, I forget the progress it was at, maybe 98%, the upgrade locked up. But, that could be due to the laptop's lack of power. It's a Core 2 Duo, but only 1.83 GHz if I remember correctly.

Now, here's something else to think about. When I went to install v10.04 from the live CD onto my Core 2 Duo desktop box, I inadvertently selected the option to check Lucid out without installing. OK, so I had an icon, to install the OS, on the desktop after booting. I installed from there and the installation went without a hitch. I don't know that doing the install that way is any different then just selecting to install from the CD, but I am most happy with my results. I installed the 64 bit version, by the way. And, yes, I made sure that the MD5 checksums matched.

Just something else to think about when getting ready to install Lucid...

Happy with my install in the Mid-West, U.S.A.

Rick
        "Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace." - Me

Comment

Originally posted by ffendland
          I for one have never had a problem upgrading "via" the web
          they always go without a hitch...
          "knock on wood"
          Net upgrade? Most times for me there are trouble.

This weekend I upgraded the dual core ASUS barebone PC - GRUB was there, but nothing on the screen, so I had to just press <RETURN> to get in, so I could reset the GRUB start resolution so the monitor accepted the output.

Then for a day or so I had this ugly screen when logging on - until I was offered some upgrade that fixed it.

On the old Toshiba Satellite A10, the upgrade broke my Linux - it turned the screen black and that's it. Would not run from the live CD either, so I had to find my old KK disk and do a fresh install. Only good thing - it did not mess up the XP, though.

But - when 10.4 runs, it is loading very fast and so far no problems.

Comment

Working...
          X