X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howto Upgrade to Kubuntu 10.04

Kubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 LTS Upgrade

Recommended for upgrading from Karmic 9.10.

Please note: upgrades from Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) are not supported, a fresh install is needed.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Howto Upgrade to Kubuntu 10.04

The on-line upgrade should be more accessible to users with slower Internet speeds. They might prefer to fetch the new packages and actually upgrade them in two separate steps. Sadly, right now the upgrade manager copies the original /etc/apt/sources.list to its place once "cancel" is pressed. So I had to do this before canceling:
    (0) run the upgrade manager from the system tray and let it update sources.list suitable for 10.04, to the point where it's ready to start fetching the packages
    (1) save the new sources.list: sudo cp sources.list sources.list.new
    (2) cancel the upgrade manager, letting it undo any changes including restoring the old sources.list
    (3) backup the old one in case: sudo mv sources.list sources.list.old
    (4) enforce the new list: sudo mv sources.list.new sources.list
    (5) pre-fetch the packages: sudo aptitude -Vd dist-upgrade

Comment

I have tried burning to CDrom both Ubuntu and Kubuntu 10.04. I get I/O errors with both of them.

DL'd and burned on Vista with InfraRecorder.

Comment

Ensure you are using good CDs (don't buy cheap ones) and use a slow burning speed.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi all.

I know you can upgrade using the Alternate CD (for Karmic users) from the command line, using:
          kdesudo "/media/cdrom/cdromupgrade".

Curiously, does anyone know whether the same option is available on the Kubuntu 10.04 DVD?
          It may be on a manifest of the DVD but I am not sure where to find this info online.

I am still running dialup here (technological equivalent to two jam tins and a long, long bit of twine) so any extra packages I could install straight off the DVD is much better than an extra week's worth of downloads from an online repo!

Update: I have found the Kubuntu DVD manifest finally here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/dvd/20100427.1/
          It does not have the cdromupgrade program on it
          Does anyone know whether my existing KDE 4.4.2 install from Karmic is the same as the 4.4.2 install on Lucid (ie. the cdromupgrade program will not need to download/upgrade it). The KDE debs are probably the largest individual component on my system so not having to download it would be good!

Any other hints would be most appreciated (ie. can I somehow run the Lucid "alternative" cd & desktop dvd on my system to short-cut things)?

Cheers & thanks

Andy

Comment

Working...
          X