Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer 5315 fans not spinning, overheating and shutting down. FIXED!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer 5315 fans not spinning, overheating and shutting down. FIXED!!

Hello everyone. I hope someone can help me, because I'm really getting fed up.

i have an acer aspire 5315 with karmic installed. The problem is the fan does not spin when it boots up, so it overheats and shutdown.

I have gone into /etc/default and edited grub to read:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noacpi quiet splash"
    This doesn't work.

I have also tried:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=off quiet splash"
    This doesn't work, in fact it comes up with a screen full of gobbledey gook and does not boot.

(and yes, i've done the grub-update thing afterwards....)
    In order to get the fans to spin, I have to do the following bodge:

reboot the laptop, press the shift key when 'grub loading' appears. press e to edit, delete noacpi and type it in again, press ctrl x and it boots with the fan spinning.

This is getting extremely tiresome, and I would like a permanent fix please. Seems to be a common bug, amazed it hasn't been sorted yet.....

Re: Acer 5315 fans not spinning, shutting down.

Have you tried adding the noacpi as the last item in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= line?

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash noacpi"
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yep, I've also tried that, no luck. I remember when i did a test install of Karmic, I ended up installing some headers and image files, and that worked. But i cannot find the instructions anymore. Bizarre considering I found and solved it really quickly last time.

Comment

I've found that if I put the laptop to sleep, and wake it up, the fans start spinning...

This appears to be a acpi bug with certain versions of the linux kernel, as it's affecting other distros as well.....

Comment

Re: Acer 5315 fans not spinning, shutting down. FIXED!!

Well I installed the latest kernel today 2.6.31-19-generic and this has fixed the fan issue. It spins up when i turn the laptop on...

Comment

Re: Acer 5315 fans not spinning, overheating and shutting down. FIXED!!

The Acer 5315 isn’t that bad of a machine, however there are one or two things you have to be very careful of, if you are buying to install a fresh o/s the likely hood is that you will end up overheating the laptop.
            The fan speed on this is controlled by Acer e power management, so without that you’ll end up with a laptop that keeps shutting down every 5 or ten minutes.
            The fan is of very poor design, if you remove the rear of the laptop the fan may well look clean however if you disassemble the fan you will find an internal grill structure that WILL be clogged, it’s a very poor design flaw.
            If you purchase one of these with a bios revision- pre 1.4 you will find the machine overheats when coming out of sleep mode or powering up?
            For some reason Acer decided not to spin the fan on boot up, so you will need a bios upgrade, takes 2 minutes and can be done through windows but be careful.. IF YOUR MACHINE OVERHEATS DURING BIOS UPDATE YOU WILL KILL YOUR LAPTOP it will be unfixable
            ! I stripped mine cleaned the fan and put the laptop in the fridge for 20 minutes before attempting to update the bios, however i was running windows 7 which fyi will overheat this machine,
            The gpu stays around 70c which is 2 hot for any gpu to run at all the time. Given all that, once you have done everything and put xp or vista on with Acer e power, you will have a user friendly machine that will complete most everyday tasks with ease

Comment

Re: Acer 5315 fans not spinning, overheating and shutting down. FIXED!!

Hi all....

I believe this is the BIOS update accesstech was referring to, just click on the "BIOS" tab.

Regards...
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Working...
              X