Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

/dev/sda1: UUID=". . ." SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext (EXPLAINED, SOLVED)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/dev/sda1: UUID=". . ." SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext (EXPLAINED, SOLVED)

See last post for EXPLANATION.

Can anyone please tell me what the above UUID exactly means - as far as the ext types are concerned.
    Why two types on one UUID?

This is my boot partition.
    Could this entry create strange boot problems?

Re: /dev/sda1: UUID="54a8daf4-b7ad-4c82-9640-20771f3c7840" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext

that would depend on whare your reading it from??
    I'v never seen the TYPE= part reported twice on a line like that?

more info is neaded!!

and yes it mite caws boot prob's

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Re: /dev/sda1: UUID="54a8daf4-b7ad-4c82-9640-20771f3c7840" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE=

yeah, where'd you get this? (I faintly recall seeing the same thing somewhere on my system, so I think it is OK, but I can't recall where that line of info comes from ...?)
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: /dev/sda1: UUID="54a8daf4-b7ad-4c82-9640-20771f3c7840" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE=

/dev/sda2: LABEL="sda2Grub" UUID="571f4e8c-337-44c7-95y0-68dc10687d6h" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
        OK, that's one of mine, from
        sudo blkid

Looks ok; I'm forgetting the logic behind it just now;
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: /dev/sda1: UUID="54a8daf4-b7ad-4c82-9640-20771f3c7840" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext

strang........my blkid looks like this

vinny@desktop:~$ sudo blkid
          [sudo] password for vinny:
          /dev/sda1: UUID="52EC5D53EC5D3289" TYPE="ntfs"
          /dev/sda2: LABEL="" UUID="423B-2BDF" TYPE="vfat"
          /dev/sda3: UUID="0ee90e7d-8196-414d-b049-a5b32b7d8b77" TYPE="ext3"
          /dev/sda5: UUID="aac6ff15-4a58-4a49-b7fa-c5ae40c964e4" TYPE="ext3"
          /dev/sda6: UUID="26baca98-cab8-4bff-b2a7-3dc344dac0be" TYPE="swap"
          and fstab like

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
          UUID=0ee90e7d-8196-414d-b049-a5b32b7d8b77 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
          UUID=aac6ff15-4a58-4a49-b7fa-c5ae40c964e4 /home ext3 relatime 0 2
          UUID=26baca98-cab8-4bff-b2a7-3dc344dac0be none swap sw 0 0
          /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
          as we see no double TYPE= part's

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5759245
            Not a full answer per se, but confirms what you/we are seeing. Mine works and always has worked fine. I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe someone else knows more about this blkid output.

Comment

QqMike, Vinnywright,

thanks for the input.
              I got the strange reading by using 'sudo blkid' just for the heck of it after I saw it in another post.
              Suspect that it could be one of the causes of the strange and erratic boot problems I have had recently.

/dev/sda1 is home to my most recent installation: Lucid! As if I did not have enough trouble already. But I like a challenge.

Anyway, installed Lucid on that partition which made my working HDD (9.10) from boot to 'also ran'. It resolved some of the boot problems I had. I have two hard drives, one for each installation. Data are on a separate partition with backup on data partition of each hard drive and on CD. So, I am not worried about Lucid screwing up anything. I am more worried about my constant tinkering . . .

I am concerned about that 'ext2' part because nowhere during installation of 10.04 did I see any reference to 'ext2'. Only ext3 and ext4. I elected to use ext3!

After a thorough physical cleaning of the MoBo and the cards, I reset the BIOS to factory settings and then modified them for my use. Thereafter, my computer restarted on the first attempt. It means nothing because sometimes it start fine and sometimes it takes my 15 or more minuted to get it going.

We will see tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by PJJ
                ... sometimes it start fine and sometimes it takes my 15 or more minuted to get it going.
                Is it possible that automatic filesystem checking schedule (or whatever it is called) is messed up? IIRC mine checks every 30 mounts or something like that. Anyway, a filesystem check would cause a long delay before starting up the system. Just a shot in the dark.
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I'm saying that I wouldn't be too concerned about the format of the blkid output.

But, I would check your filesystems using GParted Live CD; it will tell you what formats you've put on each partition (ext2, ext3, etc.).
                  GParted (Live CD, USB, HD)
                  http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
                  New Manual. New man page. See Documentation:
                  http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php
                  This will tell you if that partition is, in fact, ext3 and not ext2.

Slow boot times ... If you are using GRUB 2 to dual-boot on more than one hard drive, there is a bug that may be causing the slow boot times (it doesn't seem to affect everyone the same way):
                  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/420933
                  Read down through where workarounds are suggested by Felix Z.

Comment

Good suggestions, Qqmike.
                    I read the launchpad thread carefully. It appears that the solution to my boot problems is explained in there.

I will re-install 9.10 on the first hard drive (now it is on the second) and the experimental 10.4 on the second. After I have checked the results of the transfer first, of course.

I will report back after all is done.

There is a possible workaround in this thread
                    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/420933. But I would rather try the other solution first.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                      I'm saying that I wouldn't be too concerned about the format of the blkid output.

But, I would check your filesystems using GParted Live CD; it will tell you what formats you've put on each partition (ext2, ext3, etc.).
                      GParted (Live CD, USB, HD)
                      . . .
                      This will tell you if that partition is, in fact, ext3 and not ext2.

Slow boot times ... If you are using GRUB 2 to dual-boot on more than one hard drive, there is a bug that may be causing the slow boot times (it doesn't seem to affect everyone the same way):
                      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/420933
                      Read down through where workarounds are suggested by Felix Z.

Installed GParted and checked the partitions. No ext2 anywhere. Only ext3, just as I ordered it.

Re-installed 9.10 on first partition of first HD. Got rid of Lucid completely. then mkconfig.
                      Have not dared test it yet.

Restarted computer. Proceeds to "restarting system now" or so - then hangs on a black screen.
                      Manual shutoff works.
                      On restarting the machine, everything starts up whirling away - except the screen remains black.
                      No way of telling where we stand and what is happening.

After several modified restart attempts the screen will finally come on and POST preceed normally to login and to a working OS.

Suspect it could be a video driver problem. Correct?
                      Older nvidia Gforce 400 video card. Driver is available but results in bad screen resolution and very large font types.

Any solutions, please?

Comment

That would be my guess -- Video.
                        Is it a faulty shutdown in 9.10? That is, does the restart button on 9.10 not work? (If so, I think I saw some posts on that somewhere around here.)
                        As for video, try dibl's how-to:
                        Top 20 FAQ
                        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0

When you get into 9.10, go ahead and get the updates now; see if that changes anything.

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts.

The restart button itself works. The system starts to shut down, up to "system restarting' (or a similar message) at which points it just sits there, and sits, and sits . . .

I can manually shutoff power.

Upon restarting the system there will be only a blank screen - with the compute running and doing something. I cannot see what.

If I repeat the shutdown process several times using different methods of shutting the computer off, such as using power button to shut off or just simply shutting power supply off, the system will eventually start normally.

At that time it will also present me with an error message about the floppy drive - the non-existing floppy drive!

If I connect the floppy drive, I will get another floppy related error: "Floppy drive fail". Pressing F1 will get the system into normal boot mode.

I believe the last error is a bug. Read something about other people having the same problem but can not find the site again.

The main thing bothering me is the need to do multiple shutoffs in order to get the system to go through POST and following with a normal screen and not just a black 'hole'.

Comment

That's what I mean by the shutdown/restart button doesn't work.
                            Try a search on shutdown or restart for 9.10, as I believe I've seen this pop up recently.

Try this, too:
                            In Kubuntu,
                            Close all your open windows and programs.
                            Open Konsole, issue this command:
                            sudo shutdown -r now
                            to restart the PC.
                            And
                            sudo shutdown -h now
                            to shut it down.

See if they work.

Comment

I am doing that as well.

Same result.
                              It will make the screen go black but the computer continues to run until I manually shut it down.
                              Then: See above.

Comment

Working...
                              X