X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE redefines itself

http://dot.kde.org/2009/11/24/repositioning-kde-brand

Short version: KDE has grown to mean more than just the Desktop Environment. KDE now means the community, as well as the software it produces. Thus, the term "KDE" will no longer be used as the name of the desktop, and will instead refer to the community, and the software brand. What would have been KDE 4.4 will be known as "KDE Software Compilation 4.4"

Full text of the post on dot.kde.org:
    KDE has changed over the past 13 years. The application framework has grown, matured and gone cross-platform, as have the applications. Strong growth in our community has created an increasingly diverse and large set of high-quality applications.

In the process, KDE's identity has shifted from being simply a desktop environment to representing a global community that creates a remarkably rich body of free software targeted for use by people everywhere.

KDE is no longer software created by people, but people who create software.

To be able to communicate this clearly in our messaging, it is necessary to reposition the KDE brand so that it reflects the reality. We therefore also need distinct brands for the products we produce.
    Summary

* We will use simply "KDE" and retire the expansion "K Desktop Environment"
    * We will use "KDE" exclusively in two meanings:
    o KDE, the community, which creates free software for end users
    o As an umbrella brand for the technology created by the KDE community
    * We will use distinct brands for the software that was previously referred to generically as “KDE”:
    o The KDE Workspaces will be separately referred to as "KDE Plasma Desktop" and "KDE Plasma Netbook"
    o The KDE technologies used for building applications will be referred to as the "KDE Platform"
    o The KDE Applications will stay as they are: "the KDE Applications"
    o The product we currently have released as "KDE 4.3" is essentially a compilation of our software (Workspaces, Applications and Platform), and thus the next release will be named "KDE Software Compilation 4.4"

Details
    KDE: the community

The strength of KDE is the community. It is where it all starts. It includes the KDE culture, the KDE values and the KDE mission. The community is also what ties us together and gives us an identity. This identity is KDE. So it is natural that the brand "KDE" stands first and foremost for the community.

Sometimes we use the term "KDE project" as a weak way to say "KDE community". We have grown far beyond the situation where you could refer to KDE as a “project”. It is not a limited effort to solve the problem of having a desktop GUI for Linux anymore. It has evolved into a thriving community of people continuously working on creating and improving free software for end users based on specific values, ideals and goals.

The KDE brand transports the values of the KDE community, such as freedom, technical excellence, beauty, pragmatism, portability, open standards, international collaboration, professionalism, respect, and great teamwork.
    KDE: the umbrella brand

In the context of software KDE acts as an umbrella brand for the software created by the KDE community and software using the KDE platform. This includes the KDE platform itself, the KDE Software Compilation, and all other KDE applications. See it as a hierarchy, with the KDE umbrella brand on top and the other brands below it.

Graphical representation of the Brand Map
    Retiring the term "K Desktop Environment"

The expanded term "K Desktop Environment" has become ambiguous and obsolete, probably even misleading. Settling on "KDE" as a self-contained term makes it clear that we have made the shift from a limited set of software components to a community providing an ecosystem of free software applications and platforms for the end user on the desktop, mobile devices, and more.

The term "K Desktop Environment" can be accurately and completely replaced by "KDE Community", "KDE Platform", "KDE Applications" or specific KDE application names, depending on what is actually meant.

For the desktop itself we will have the clearer name "KDE Workspace". The huge set of KDE applications can be put under the KDE umbrella brand using more specific brands for individual applications or application suites. The confusion about what a desktop environment is and implies can be avoided by using clearer terms in this manner.
    Using distinct brands

To successfully position "KDE" as the community and as an umbrella brand, we need strong identities for our range of products. A summary of these products and the new brands are set out below.
    KDE Products

Software created by the KDE community is branded on its own under the umbrella brand of KDE. Use of "KDE" in the product name is optional and depending on the context. Especially for applications that are not well known as KDE applications and are not easily identified as such by a "K" prefix in their name, it is recommended to use "KDE" in the product name.
    KDE Applications

KDE applications make up the breadth and richness of the KDE universe. They are solutions to specific use cases. KDE applications can run independently of the KDE workspace and can freely be mixed with applications based on other platforms and toolkits. Here are a few examples:

* Okular or KDE Okular
    * Dolphin or KDE Dolphin
    * Amarok
    * Krita or KDE Krita
    * KWord
    * KPresenter
    * KDevelop
    * KSysguard
    * K3B

There are a few brands which are used to identify application suites built up from several applications. These can be used just like application names when referring to a set of related applications bundled under the application suite brand. Those brands are sometimes also used to refer to a sub-community. Examples include:

* KOffice (KWord, Krita...)
    * KDE Kontact or Kontact (KMail, KOrganizer, KAddressbook...)
    * KDE Edu

KDE Workspace

KDE provides workspaces. These provide the environment for running and managing applications and integrate interaction of applications. The workspaces are designed as generic environment for all kinds of desktop applications, not only applications built on the KDE Platform. They integrate best with applications following the standards used by the KDE Platform. There are different flavors of the workspace to address the needs of specific groups of users or adapt to specific hardware platforms:

* Plasma Desktop or KDE Plasma Desktop. This is the workspace for desktop computers. It's built on the classical paradigm of a desktop environment.
    * Plasma Netbook or KDE Plasma Netbook. This is the workspace for computers with a small display, e.g. Netbooks.
    * Future KDE workspaces tailored to specific devices will follow a similar naming scheme

The workspaces include many key components such as KWin, KDM, Plasma library, KSysguard and System Settings. Generally we market the specific workspaces (like Plasma Desktop), explaining they are part of the KDE Workspaces.
    KDE Platform

KDE software is created on the KDE Platform, the base of libraries and services which are needed to run KDE applications. It is used by core and third-party developers to create KDE applications. Especially when including development frameworks and tools it may be referred to as KDE Development Platform. It is built on a number of Pillars (Akonadi storage framework, Solid hardware layer, Nepomuk information management, Phonon media framework, Plasma library).
    The KDE Software Compilation

The KDE community does regular releases of a core set of KDE software products. These releases are called the KDE Software Compilation and tagged with a version number, e.g. "The KDE community is releasing KDE Software Compilation 4.4". Applications that make up the KDE Software Compilation may be run independently of each other and additional applications can be added without problems. These applications can be freely mixed with applications using other frameworks and run in whatever desktop environment one may choose.
    Further information

The full details on KDE branding can be found in the document "Repositioning the KDE brand" and there is also a Brand Map on the KDE Community Wiki.
    Implementation

The structure above has been agreed after over a year of discussion and planning. It has been discussed with the community in various places as well. We know and acknowledge it is different, and takes some getting used to. Some things might seem unnecessary - please believe we thought it through. It is time to move on from the discussion and start implementing. We want to have most of this in place for the 4.4 release of the KDE Software Compilation.

We will use the KDE brand and the other sub-brands actively in our communications, making sure to distinguish between them in a natural way, and start treating the workspace as "just another product". Over the next months we'll be increasingly transitioning to the new terminology and updating our online resources and marketing material to provide a single, coherent branding structure. Of course, as a member of the KDE community, you can help. First of all by using the new terms in your communication, updating sites, documentation and dialogs; secondly by explaining things to others.
    # make install --not-war

Re: KDE redefines itself

Personally, I start to worry when an organization starts to worry about "re-branding" their product rather than improving it. This is especially true when the product is in the middle of a "difficult" development cycle. Therefore (as someone who doesn't like the Gnome philosophy, or product), I am concerned by this announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
      Personally, I start to worry when an organization starts to worry about "re-branding" their product rather than improving it.
      I don't think the promo team does much coding, so the re-branding probably won't take anything away from improving the product.

Still, the benefits of the changes in the naming policy are less than clear to me

Comment

I read that announcement the other day too. I think part of my (the?) confusion is that the proposed use of "KDE" is how we have come to think of it anyway - it's a natural.

Comment

I kind of understand the why, but still, for me, KDE has always refereed to "everything" anyway. I never really needed a differentiation between the "Community", " Coders", and "Applications". I have to agree with Askrieger, that is worrisome that there is this need of ID separation. KDE is All regardless if it is cross platform. The why that I understand is the "other" camp (M$) usually needs things defined as such (this isn't a jab, M$ products and structure is defined very similarly) and KDE has been working very hard a trying to get things ported to that camp to get a "share" there as well.

Comment

Marketing. Got it bass-ackwards again.

KDE is KDE, the KDE community is the KDE Community. Always use the simplest solution.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

When FOSS projects didn't advertise (for what ever reason ... mostly lack of money) people complained that they weren't advertising. Now the KDE has a PR team and they are preaching the KDE gospel, "spreading the word", redefining community, etc.... people complain again?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

My take is that this statement is long over due. It will clear up the confusion that has arisen concerning the various categories of KDE and how to refer to them so that everyone is on the same page when they discuss KDE issues, problems, improvements, etc... All in all, a good move!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

TLR, but isn't that coming from the organization that uses numbers 4.0, 4.1 etc for unfinished products?

Stick to programming, that's well done, forget the crap about rebranding.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian
                  TLR, but isn't that coming from the organization that uses numbers 4.0, 4.1 etc for unfinished products?
                  That's not an uncommon practice in the open source world, where "point zero" releases are often developer releases/tech previews...it's the old "release early, release often" policy.

I'm quite certain gnome 3.0 won't be a "finished" product either.

Of course, this doesn't stop people from expecting a "finished" product, which is why these things should IMO be clearly mentioned in release notes/announcements.

Comment

Stick to programming, that's well done, forget the crap about rebranding.
                    Are you a programmer, Adrian? Using numbers to specify release levels is a common practice among programmers, both FOSS and proprietary. So is using names AND numbers. Allow me to hit you with a clue stick: IF programmers waited until their programs were "perfect" before they released them the only program you would be running would be "Hello World". ALL programs are unfinished products! GNOME 2.2 is unfinished. KDE 4.4.2 is unfinished. So is KDE 3.5.10, although it may never be "finished", except as a viable desktop. New technological advances and discoveries REQUIRES that application development continues.

Have you heard of "Release early, release often"? In the Linux community the USERS are the testers. We try software from version 0.0 through x.y (alpha, beta or gold) and we report bugs and makes wish requests to the bugzillas. Only folks not familiar with Release Early Release Often post whines and rants in the blogs. Whines and rants rarely contain useful information and most programmers rarely visit blogs for bug information.

Personally, KDE4 at all levels has been very usable for me. KDE 4.4.2 is the fastest and most powerful DE that I have ever used.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

It's not they confused me, poor schmuck, with the numbering scheme it's that they confused even distributions like... surprise, surprise... Kubuntu (and others).

But who knows maybe I'm wrong... it wouldn't be the first time or the last time either.

Comment

the only program you would be running would be "Hello World".

ROFL!!!! Great line there! I'll have to remember that. I remember learning a few languages and having to do that. Makes you feel good to see ol' "Hello World" for the first time.

Comment

It's not they confused me, poor schmuck, with the numbering scheme it's that they confused even distributions like... surprise, surprise... Kubuntu (and others).
                          "confused"? How?

But who knows maybe I'm wrong... it wouldn't be the first time or the last time either.
                          Like I used to tell my physics and calc students: Everyone is smart, some in one thing and some in another. It goes for stupid, too.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                            "confused"? How?
                            By using an unfinished (more like alpha or at most beta quality) product for their releases.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                              "confused"? How?
                              By using an unfinished (more like alpha or at most beta quality) product for their releases.
                              Actually, kubuntu never used KDE 4.0 in any release. It was possible to install 4.0 on hardy (and there was a kde 4.0 remix available) for testers, but the official release version came with KDE3.

Comment

Working...
                              X