This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amd64 9.10 Wubi Install

Alright first time installing any linux style box on my computer. I'm having to use dameon tools inside Vista because I was to stupid to get a freaking burner when I built the computer. I can get to the install screen and everything ok and it will being installing. That's not the issue. The only question I have is should it be downloading the i386 version of the OS too? I'm running a QX9650 which I know is 64bit (on Vista64 of course) and I don't want to have a 32bit OS when a 64bit is available honestly. Is this just something I have to deal with or is it for those programs that are built for 32bit procs? I just know I'm used to having the x86 and 64 bundled together.

Re: amd64 9.10 Wubi Install

Tried just letting it run and download i386 and of course it crashed and said it couldn't run.

Comment

All you need is the 64 bit version. AFAIK, the only difference is the flags used in the compilation of the packages by the developers.

BTW, today (release day) is absolutely the very worst day to try to download anything from the Ubuntu servers. They are guarqnteed to be overwhelmed.

Comment

I was thinking that too. Probably try Sunday or next week to see if it works. I'm pretty sure running via Daemon Tools as a mounted image shouldn't cause the issues. I'm with you though with the idea that it's the whole server side giving me the problems.

Comment

Ok Wubi sucks and I have no clue how I can force it to do anything now. I've placed both iso's in the same file, don't work of course. It always wants to download the i386 ver and when I thought I overwrote it Kubuntu booted, but of course to the black screen. Also running Wubi from the mounted image is doing the same thing.

Comment

This is definately not a problem of the the daemon tools but a bug in the new WUBI version. It happens to me too, although I tried the installation using a live-CD. WUBI should not download anything when run from a live CD, but anytime I tried the installation it begins downloading the 386-version . This is not a problem of the servers being too busy!
            Unfortunately there is only a command line switch to force a 32bit install but not a 64bit install. I've run the 9.04 version in 64bit before, so there is nothing wrong with my pc - just wanted to do a fresh start with 9.10.
            I am just wondering why there are so few reports on this problem as it should happen to anybody trying the 64bit installation

Comment

Thanks for the info. I thought it was just something I was doing. I guess we all need to put in a bug report for Wubi then. Wubi wasn't even recognizing that I had a file installed in the first place which was odd. I'll put in a bug report with a link here so they can see it is a trend I guess. Thanks alot btw.

Here's the link to the bug report btw: https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/465936

Comment

For troubleshooting - did you try the installation on a 32 or on a 64 bit Windows? I did it on a 32 bit XP. On monday I will check whether the same thing happens under 64bit XP. According to the logfile WUBI checks the operating system as well as system architecture.
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                10-30 15:14 DEBUG CommonBackend: platform=win32
                10-30 15:14 DEBUG CommonBackend: osname=nt
                10-30 15:14 DEBUG CommonBackend: language=en_GB
                10-30 15:14 DEBUG CommonBackend: encoding=cp1252
                10-30 15:14 DEBUG WindowsBackend: arch=amd64
                ---------------------------------------------------------------
                Maybe the installer now decides according to the platform but not the architecture?

P.S. Thanks for the big report and by the way I also tried the same "tricks" as you (same directory, --isopath, ...)

Comment

I'm only trying on a 64bit system (Vista Ultimate 64) ain't tried it on my old P4 WinXP box yet.

Comment

Bug report is still in effect but I found a work around.

The MD5 that Wubi was running doesn't match the ones for the new Kubuntu release at all. The work around was this.
                    X:\x\wubi.exe --skipmd5check in the command prompt. Then while it was doing the initial install I copied the 64bit ISO into the install folder and it worked.

Comment

[SOLVED] amd64 9.10 Wubi Install

According to the bug report a fix has been released so now the Wubi installer should now work properly.

Comment

Working...
                      X