This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package manager

When one install Kubuntu Breezy, the package manager that comes with it is impossible to use. I prefer to use Synaptic, but I cannot even install or connect to internet yet. How can I add other sources esp. CD's to it?

I have the Ubuntu Breezy CD as well. My previous work around was to first install Ubuntu and add the Kubuntu CD as a source to Synaptic and then add KDE as base, but many things like my scanner simply won't work with the "standard" Ubuntu install, even though I re-use the Kubuntu CD as source. With KDE is works first time, but oh, the sources that I am unable to add!!! I am not a scientist!

Re: Package manager

You can add the Ubuntu CD to your package list. Open a konsole: K>System>Konsole, then give the following command
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    When asked, type your password. The console editor nano will open showing the file /etc/apt/sources.list, which is the sources list. The first thing to do is to type Alt-B which will enable automatic backup. This will give you a copy of the file called sources.list~ when you save it.

The first line of the sources.list file will say something like
    Code:
    deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 5.10 _Breezy Badger_ - Release amd64 (20051012)]/ breezy main restricted
    Copy that line to the line below so that you have two identical lines. Now you have to make some small changes. First, add a # sign at the front of the top line. Second, delete the K in the word Kubuntu on the second line (the one without the #) and change the small u at the start of ubuntu to a capital U. Save the file by typing Ctl-O. Then type Ctl-X, to exit nano. Put the Ubuntu CD-rom in the drive Still in the console, type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    If it has been more than 15 minutes, since you started sudo, you will have to enter your password again.

Now you can iuse your Ubuntu disk as a source. I would suggest entering the follwing command while you're still in the Konsole, with the cd-rom in the drive
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Alternatively, you can use Adept one last time to install synaptic,

Comment

Sure will. I have tried to add the CD, I know my lines should differ slighty from what you have, but I cannot figure it out. For instance the amd64. Not being in front of my machine, I think that I have an i686.

deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 5.10 _Breezy Badger_ - Release amd64 (20051012)]/ breezy main restricted
      It still won't see the Ubuntu CD. The problem is how do I get the correct name of the CD from the CD? It seems that even the caps have to be correct before it sees the CD. How can I know for sure that everything in the CD name is correct? My copy was burned by friend, don't know how it will affect the naming, although it installs perfectly.

Comment

@GrootBrak

you can use "apt-cdrom add" or something like this to add your cdrom the source-list files.

Comment

I believe the intel architecture is called "i386", but I could be wrong. That's why I asked you to COPY the top line of YOUR sources.list, NOT of MINE. The fact that it was copied by someone other than yourself shouldn't change the title.

That said, cider is right. The correct way to add your Ubuntu cdrom is to start a konsole, and to give the command "sudo apt-cdrom add". The program will then ask you to put the cdrom in the drive. It will identify the cdrom, add it to the source list, store it's directory, and even do some simple error checking. I haven't installed from a cdrom in a while.

Comment

Hey, that's what I like! Just a simple command! Will try it as soon as I can Grub to agree and get going again. I'm getting a a Grub 22 now, started out with a Grub 17. Looks like I'm moving on throught the list!!!

Comment

Unfortunately, that indicates negative progress. You get error 17 when GRUB tries to mount a partition that exists but doesn't have a file system that GRUB can mount. You get error 22 when GRUB can't find the partition that it's trying to mount. The order of the two errors indicates that GRUB used to try to mount some partition it couldn't recognize and now it's looking for a partition that doesn't exist. Basically, there's a line in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file that has a typo.

You might want to look at the GRUB MANUAL at http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html especially the section on GRUB second stage errors.

Comment

Working...
              X