This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/media/disk as the mount point? [SOLVED]

I just recently upgraded from 6.06. I have two harddrives; 1 is my / drive (/dev/sdb1) and the other is a backup drive (/dev/sde5).

In 6.06 I set the fstab so my backup drive would mount to /mnt/ but now, if I mount /dev/sde5 it asks for su password and mounts magically to /media/disk.

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>
    proc      /proc      proc  defaults    0    0
    # /dev/sdb1
    UUID=0b27cf52-1d02-4ed8-a2a5-d27662694626 /        ext3  relatime,errors=remount-ro 0    1
    # /dev/sdb5
    UUID=bd38c6cc-c33a-4664-825e-bfb0ca7aa05d none      swap  sw       0    0
    /dev/scd1    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0    0
    /dev/scd0    /media/cdrom1  udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0    0
    /dev/fd0    /media/floppy0 auto  rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0    0
    As you can see, there's no entry for /dev/sde5 in my fstab and when I tried to put it in there manually, I received the error that '/media/disk does not exist'.

My mtab:
    Code:
    /dev/sdf1 / ext3 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0
    proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
    /sys /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
    varrun /var/run tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755 0 0
    varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777 0 0
    udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
    devshm /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    lrm /lib/modules/2.6.24-23-generic/volatile tmpfs rw 0 0
    securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0
    /dev/sde5 /media/disk ext2 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uhelper=hal 0 0
    This is my mtab with /dev/sde5 already mounted (to /media/disk). Automatically, an mtab entry is created for something that doesn't exist in fstab! I'm confused by this new way of handling mount points in 8.04. Can somebody please help?

I'd like to be able to have /dev/sde5 mount consistently at the right point, automatically, and without su priveleges needed.

Thanks,
    Reza
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Re: /media/disk as the mount point?

Run blkid to identify the UUIDs of each partition. It's 'safer' to identify partitions in fstab by UUID than by direct /dev/xxxx notation. Specifically, as how drives are enumerated (now) is different than it was.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm unsure what the blkid command does. blkid -h doesn't seem to be of much assistance. what sort of input is it looking for? And, will entering the harddisk UUID really solve my problem if the error seems to be in the mount point?

Thanks,
      Reza
      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
        As you can see, there's no entry for /dev/sde5 in my fstab and when I tried to put it in there manually, I received the error that '/media/disk does not exist'.
        Yes, that would be an issue. If you desire to have ready access to this partition 'after boot,' you need to add an entry for it in fstab.

Comment

as I went on to explain in my initial inquiry, I did try to enter it in fstab as /dev/sde5 on mount point /media/disk. The resulting error was that "mount point /media/disk/ does not exist." Am I missing something?

Thanks

Comment

Yes. /media/disk is 'dynamically established - it doesn't exist until, as you have things, you desire to mount the partition. You can fix this by creating the mount point. Open a console and type:
            Code:
            sudo mkdir /media/disk
            Then your fstab entry for the partition will work.

Comment

excellent! thank you.

Comment

Re: /media/disk as the mount point? [SOLVED]

Comment

Working...
                X