Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound Issues (falling back when sound is working fine)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Issues (falling back when sound is working fine)

Running Jaunty, Sound card is
    Code:
    00.1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio controller (rev 02)
    I used to have no internet sound, Now when I do get it, A notification says that my HDA Analog isnt working right, So it falls back to digital, It seems all the sound still works, But when Im running Amarok, every so often it will jerk the audio, This is quite a problem as my music is almost Always playing.
    However, this only seems to happen when the audio driver falls back, When I play youtube, ect.

Using Pulse Audio. And yes the preffered are in the Right order; Analog, Digital, Pulse Audio.

So any help will be appreciated.

Kubuntu9.04 AcerAspire3680

Re: Sound Issues (falling back when sound is working fine)

Thank you for bringing that up Sir Rudolf,

I have exactly the same problem. I am using Exaile to play my my mp3, and because it's based on python (installation requires a lot of unknown for me packages) I thought that might be the reason why it's dropping after time to Pulse. When I had Amarok on Kobuntu 8.04 everything was fine.

- Can anyone can relay/help ?
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala AMD64bit Acer Aspire 7520

Comment

Im going to try using Gnome when I get back to my keyboard at home. Its strange because the audio for me only malfunctions when I use the sound on the Internet. Like Youtube. So basically I've been staying away from Youtube + Flash based games.

Comment

Any luck? I don't think best option is going back to gnome
        We need solution to that problem.

Comment

I've been on gnome, makes no difference, But this is what I have discovered
          Put PulseAudio at the top of the list.
          I've noticed that When the audio says is Has Not fallen back, the video playback from things like Dragon Player, is lagging and not playing any sound, However after it Did say that It was Fine, and My amarok seems to not be lagging anymore as well.
          As for the Reason it falls back, Im not sure, I've gotten the message with a variety of things, as well as random occurrences.

So my suggestion for now is to move pulse audio to the top and avoid YouTube for awhile, It seems to Not crash with any other Video sites.

Comment

Reversing those two is interesting trick. Today just on log-in before I have done anything my sound decided to fall down, but because I reversed devices - like you suggested - it fall back to my sound card and it works fine ;-)

I am afraid although we will need better option and understanding this problem to fix it. It never happened to my on 8.04 so this could be first clue. It wasn't happening with my 9.04 Jaunty for a long time after the introduced it. It started recently so it needs to be recent change. Maybe kernel, headers, or sth ?

Comment

bah, mine still lags every so often xD
              Jaunty is my first linux version, so I really dont know too much

It also seems if you dont minimise the player to the system tray, it lags less. .-.
              I've tried that with banshee, and I just reinstalled amarok to try it there.

I would just go to 8.04, cause I have intel graphics as well, so It would be All Around better support xD
              But its too close to the launch of karmic, so i'll just live it out.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of Amarok -- I can usually eventually get it to play, but due to some leftover audacity dsp files that are in my music folder, it finds 80,000 files when it eventually gets done indexing, most of which are not actually playable music files.

Anyway, my point is that Amarok is a major resource hog. If your sound system is working correctly, according to the "test" in System Settings > Multimedia > Audio, then you're probably getting as good a result from Amarok as you're ever going to get. There are other choices for playing music in Linux -- MANY other choices. If it's mostly your own collection, look at alsaplayer (that's what I use). If it is streaming FM, then have a look at VLC and/or mplayer.

Sorry I can't fix Amarok for you.

Comment

Well - problem is different. I use Exaile to play (written in GTK, based on Amarok)
                  but I don't even get to that stage. Login... Plasma comes up... BOOOM. Sound fall back.

Comment

I dont mind using something else, I just didnt like banshee cause the random play function didnt seem to work properly.
                    When mine falls back, The sound sometimes gets better, like my Dragon Players plays Well, But all my music lags.
                    So Im going to try VLC, If that doesnt work im just going to wait for the launch of karmic, If its solved then its good, if not im going to go to 8.10

Comment

Working...
                    X