This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change Computer Name

I needed to change Kubuntu computer name, because my daughter's Windows computer didn't like, that my Kubuntu computer had the same name as is the name of my home network.

I expected, that it would be a very simple GUI operation, but I didn't find appropriate edit box for it. At the end after crossing Google and I changed the name of my computer in the file /etc/hostname. Now the Windows computer is satisfied.

I can't believe that there is not some GUI solution to this, is there?
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Re: Change Computer Name

Yeah there should be a gui method for this I agree.
    Systemax PC<br />CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 4400<br />RAM: 3 GB DDR2 800 (PC2-6400)<br />Display: Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS<br />Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Now you know the easy way to do it.
      The GUI setup keeps changing with upgrades and sometimes doesn't work. IMHO setting up a network by editing the files is easy enough that it is worth learning. Once you know which files to edit it's generally faster anyway. Anyway, I'm glad you got it fixed.

Comment

You don't have to edit the /etc/hostname 'by hand.' From the CLI, just type:
        Code:
        sudo hostname new_hostname
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

SOLUTION:
          There is no GUI solution in Kubuntu Jaunty.

WORKAROUND:
          You need to adjust /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts to your needs. Should be self-explanatory once you're editing the files.

Instead of changing file hostname you can run from the shell
          Code:
          sudo hostname new_hostname
          Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

The hostname command doesn't seem to change /etc/hostname (not surprising since it doesn't demand root privileges). There are two places I know of where the hostname is embedded: /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts. As far as I can tell, they both have to be changed by direct editing one way or another. This is an obvious function to put somewhere in System Settings.

Comment

Working...
            X