Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel GMA-500 will NOT be supported in Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic).

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intel GMA-500 will NOT be supported in Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic).

Originally posted by GreyGeek
    With Linux approaching 12-15% of the USA desktop markets share, and even higher in China and other countries, it is like saying to 15% of your market that you don't want their business.

Who can afford to help Intel make up the loss of 15% of that market share?
    Linux has a 15% desktop market share (in the USA or anywhere)
    Really, I would like to believe you, but do you have some evidence? All the OS surveys I read give Linux at between 1% and 2%.

I am surprised that nobody asked more info about this astonishing information.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love it to be true and I am asking in good faith. I just wonder what is the source of the information.

Blessings!

Comment

"Oh ye of little faith!"

My source is unimpeachable! Steve Ballmer himself!!!

He made that statement last February, and Linux hasn't gone backwards or sat still since then, so I'll bet it is higher than 10-12% now. Back then the retail channel gave Apple 10%. Ballmer's graph gives Linux MORE. Ballmer said Linux is a greater threat to Microsoft than Apple. I believe him!

In China the CTO of RedLinux says RedLinux is at around 30%. There may be more people in China using Linux than there are people using computers in America.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I think most people (with access to consumer products, which very unfortunately is not the case for all) are using Linux several times a day. Candidates: the GPS in the car, the cellphone, the data server in the place they work, that besides the people who run it in their home desktop or notebook/netbook, not to mention all their google searchers running in a linux farm ... and now it will be embedded in more and more motherboards as an instant-on OS, and the list goes.

Yes, we made it.
        8)

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          "Oh ye of little faith!"

My source is unimpeachable! Steve Ballmer himself!!!

He made that statement last February, and Linux hasn't gone backwards or sat still since then, so I'll bet it is higher than 10-12% now. Back then the retail channel gave Apple 10%. Ballmer's graph gives Linux MORE. Ballmer said Linux is a greater threat to Microsoft than Apple. I believe him!
          Well, we do have more DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS ...

(sorry, coulsn't help it )
          # make install --not-war

Comment

Is that why your antiperspirant failed?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

More unhappy news in this front. The Intel owned Moblin Zone site posted a very questionable "justification". Oh my!
              http://lwn.net/Articles/359083/

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyB
                lmilano,

Thanks so much for your reply, I understand the situation.

Luckily I have just read that the new version of Mandriva will include the driver, so I'm going to give that a shot.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2010.0_RC_2#Poulsbo_drivers

I do like Kubuntu, but I'll just be happy if I can finally ditch XP. Mandriva is a pretty good KDE distro too.

Thanks again.
                JonnyB,
                Did you get around to trying Mandriva with your Intel chip?
                From what I can gather, support will only be available in the non-free version. Just wondering if you tried it. I have a real slow connection to DL for nothing.

Comment

Working...
                X