Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

File Shares in 9.04 (no other computer sees 9.04 computer)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Shares in 9.04 (no other computer sees 9.04 computer)

I just installed Kubuntu 9.04 on one computer and all my other three Kubuntu 8.04 computers cannot see the 9.04's files in terms of file sharing. I have done all the basic file upgrades that were available after 9.04 initial installation and rebooted.

I installed samba on the 9.04 computer and it does show under workgroups on all my other computers (it says Samba server Ubuntu and correctly includes the name of the 9.04 computer), BUT there are absolutely no files or folders within the share (and I made sure the drives were pre-mounted on the 9.04 computer before going to any of the other computers to view the shares).

All my 8.04 computers share files in either dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 or in WindowsXP flawlessly (it does NOT matter which operating system is running on any system; all share files back-and-forth with ease), but the 9.04 stays invisible to all the others always (actually, the 9.04 is invisible to itself when I go into the network on the 9.04 and look at it within it self, so it's no surprise that no others can see it either, whereas within all the other 8.04 computers if I do a similar procedure, they can "see" their own shares, so something's amiss on the 9.04 setup).

I've been using Kubuntu 8.04 for quite some time and feel I know what I'm doing in terms of file shares, BUT with 9.04, I'm just not getting the file sharing to work (but maybe I just don't know my way around yet).

MORE DETAIL IF NEEDED:

I just had Kubuntu v8.04 completely bomb (crash, clunk) on a 4th computer so completely, the system would no longer start (it'd just freeze with lines of text displaying across the screen), so I finally decided to install 9.04 instead of another copy of 8.04 (I've been resistant to install 9.04, I confess, after my 9.04 Beta experience, which I just didn't like, however since new is "supposed" to be better, I installed 9.04). Windows XP still works fine on this computer that had the 8.04 bomb, and all the disc partitions are OK, including the ext3 partition that had the bombed 8.04 Kubuntu, but I dutifully reformatted it before installing 9.04 in the old ext3 partition.

After a full install of 9.04, that's when my problems started (and I'm tempted to go back to 8.04, as I know how to make things work in that version and the software too, works better); however, now that I have 9.04, I want to get it to work, BUT I simply can't get anything to share FROM the 9.04 computer TO any other system (neither to Windows or Linux).

The 9.04 system can read all the other computers, but no other computer can see anything the 9.04 has (of course, I could boot into Windows on the computer with the 9.04 system, and then all the other computers can get the files they need). What a shame to depend on Windows because I can't figure out Kubuntu 9.04's file sharing system. I want to do this in Kubuntu 9.04 and I want to do it with the Kubuntu desktop interface too (I am assuming Kubuntu 9.04 is ready for the general public to use with the desktop interface being able to give them what they need to make it work, and there "should" not be a need to crawl under the hood with sudo's, ping's, and all that other techno stuff IF 9.04 is really beyond the Beta stage and is ready for ordinary people -- again, that's my assumption, not my demand; it's what I think is my reasonable assumption and I'm assuming I just don't understand yet what to do to make it work normally as it comes "out of the box").

I've tried the right-clicking in Dolphin before I came to the forum and I also see here in the forum that others have tried it too, and it seems to do nothing after graying out the button for a few moments (nothing happens whatsoever after the gray out, no pop-up confirmation, no details, no nothing!). I've gone to the System Settings->Sharing in 9.04, but there's really nothing there anymore like it is in 8.04 (no way to set up folders, unique names for shares, etc.), so I assume the new way is the right-clicking method (except it doesn't seem to function). I can't help but wonder, what's the purpose of System Settings->Sharing -- there's really nothing there except for a place for a name and password, and though I left it blank and later filled it in, no other computers ask for the details. It's just a big empty screen with two lines for a name and password (again, unlike 8.04).

If this has been already covered, please do point the way to the solution, but understand I spent a great deal of time already searching and searching, and reading and reading and getting no solutions yet by using "file sharing 9.04" as my search criteria, otherwise I would not be starting this new topic.

I look forward to getting 9.04 working as well as 8.04 works (well, except for the one that bombed!).

Re: File Shares in 9.04 (no other computer sees 9.04 computer)

Hi

I can share here in 9.04, through an nfs share, to another 9.04 computer, I have no windows at home. I am running the latest stable KDE (and loving it)

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2.4

You probably aren't, and I can't say for sure that this will fix your issue. But updating will take a few moments if you have broadband. If that doesn't work, you can try the almost stable KDE 4.3

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2.98

If this doesn't work for you either, I would prollly go back to 8.04 and stick to that for a while, maybe try again later on with 9.10 and see if you like it. No pressure to upgrade, people stick five years to the same windows OS, you can stick to your fav linux a year or two

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I doubt that KDE is causing the problem and assume it's the Ubuntu 9.04 in the background of the KDE desktop which makes it Kubuntu 9.04 (well, if I understand how things are knit together here).

I've spent more than 2 days and entirely too many hours trying to get Kubuntu 9.04 to share files with my other 3 computers which have dual-booted WinXP and Kubuntu 8.04, and though they all can share between them, no other computer can ever get to the files on the 9.04. I was finally able to get the 9.04 to show as a system in the network, but there is nothing within it (no drives or folders), but that's no surprise since when I would click on a folder in 9.04 and activate the share tab, when I clicked Configure, it'd gray out momentarily, then come back with no configuration screen, suggesting to me that nothing would be the result (and it was).

Too much down time. It is not my pleasure to spend SO much time dealing with the operating system. I create web pages and run forums on the majority, and that's what I need my time to do, not fiddle with Kubuntu's shortcomings in 9.04.

I'm formatting the 9.04 partition and reinstalling 8.04 (I'm so glad I did not erase the ISO's and will remember to always keep them). I know Kubuntu will abandon us at some point (just like Microsoft abandons its users too), but until then, I will hang on (I used Win98 for MANY years after XP came on the scene, then I finally switched to XP and got used to it, but saw little real improvement over what Win98 offered -- just a shell game of moving things around and calling it an improvement it seemed to me so we'd go out and send in our money to the Micro$oft empire). While I can't say the same negative things about Kubuntu, the desktop seems like the Microsoft shell game of moving things around with little functional outcome, and in that respect, Microsoft and Kubuntu are quite alike (neither seem to be listening to their users, which surprises me for Kubuntu, but not for the Microsoft empire).

I hope Kubuntu will resume its roots with the people at some point and stop growing independent of them (or maybe it's the KDE I'm talking about here, since that's what I interface with the most and what I seem to dislike in 8.10 and 9.04 both -- I just can't find things anymore having spent SO much time in 8.04, and I really have little tolerance or need for such time wasters).

Anyway, thanks lmilano for getting back to me with the KDE information, but I don't think the desktop environment itself is making 9.04 not function in terms of file sharing, though I think the new KDE does having something to do with how some of the upgraded programs no longer seem to function right; such as Gimp, which no longer has any menus to create web headings with transparent backgrounds, something I use a lot, but which has disappeared in Gimp in 9.04, though everything else is there, so who made the change: Gimp or KDE? I don't know...BUT, I just don't have time to worry about these details and I'm formatting and reinstalling 8.04 again right now, since I'm writing this on another one of my computers, and soon I should be able to become productive again on the computer that had the 8.04 bomb-out, and my being productive is the only thing I need from an operating system (I'm not a hack who loves crawling under the hood of the operating system and fiddling with its internals; I'm a web designer and forum administrator and that's where I need to put my energies).

Comment

I think you are a bit too frustrated (and for a reason), to be able to make a fair judgement of Kubuntu, and I think it is unfair to compare a convicted monopolist with a heroic volunteer effort like Kubuntu. Kubuntu is yours, as much as mine, as much as anybody else's. There is no evil entity, it belongs to us, and it is as good or as bad as _we_, the people, make it.

Maybe i am lucky but my computers give me no trouble with kubuntu for the most part (no OS is perfect). The little time I spend is mostly helping new users. Anyways, at least we tried Maybe you'll like Karmic, it's easy to try a bit after the release, at some point you may like some newer release. For someone with your needs, long term support releases are probably the best bet though.

Comment

Mr NowIsAllWeHave just got samba and nfs instaled (he has this posted elsware as well)but probley hasent got a working samba.config yet so hase no shares ....why the config still gose gray on him we dont know yet.
          and he never asked for help seting up nfs.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

vinnywright, I thought I did ask for help with the graying out by mentioning it as a symptom in a larger problem picture.

Now, I just want to report back that my reinstall of 8.04 has been fully successful, I'm now sharing freely with all my other computers, and I'm back into being productive.

I'm sorry I wasted SO much time with 9.04! I lost 2 days and lots of energy futilely trying to get it to work for me. I was so certain I could break through this problem that I spent too much time working with it, which ended up making me frustrated.

I know some of what I don't like about Kubuntu 9.04 is the KDE desktop as compared to the 8.04 KDE desktop (I didn't like it in 8.10, and it looks a lot like 9.04). Some of the programs I depend on changed with the KDE environment for some reason (I'd have thought it'd be the Kubuntu operating system that made the changes, but I'm not sure one way or the other) and, with these changes, I no longer have the tools I normally use in these program (and I certainly don't find that productive at all -- Gimp being one example of a program I use with web design that seems degraded in function in 9.04 Kubuntu, as I said in a previous post).

9.04 shut me down, so I won't risk it again with any of my 4 computers that I use to program websites and administer forums (8.04 keeps me productive for these purposes).

lmilano, maybe 9.10 will be better (it should be, as the philosophy of Ubuntu/Kubuntu suggests it's for the people, but I fear the Buntu's are becoming like Microsoft and getting away from the people by not listening to them and listening internally instead to their own voices in a feedback loop that leaves us out). I'm not meaning to bash the Buntu's, I'm just frustrated at the seeming lack of hearing of the people. I tried and tried to get Kubuntu to work on a couple of other computers with Radeon and Nvidia cards, and the LiveCD won't even run, and I could get no help with that either in the past about 6 months ago (it was like no one was listening, but that was with another user name with an email that I no longer have, so I signed up again with this name). Yes, I'm frustrated, since the larger any system or company gets, the more it concentrates internally (I have lots of experience working in large systems, some of which were people oriented at first, but not later -- it seems a necessary evil or process, take your pick). I have hope that Kubuntu's future releases will be as excellent as their past ones (except for the 2 computers which will never run Kubuntu it seems with either the past or newest Kubuntu releases because of video card issues which are simply not dealt with -- thank goodness I have 7 computers at my resource, which is not an accident: it's the only way to survive when I have 25 years of computing experience as I know every computer AND every operating system AND every disk will absolutely fail someday, so I have overkilled with 7 computers to give me some wiggle room).

I love Kubuntu, don't get me wrong, but I have dual boots on every system with WinXP as a resource since some software I need to use just doesn't seem available in Linux-land. I spend 98%+ of my time using Linux, so I'm definitely a fan, but I don't love spending my time under the hood. If the operating system were a car, I don't want to spend my time working with and teaking the engine; I want to spend my time going somewhere. I get frustrated when my productivity is thrown off, since I have too many other things to which I need to put my energies than this recent problem with 9.04 (again, I invested 2 days since I was SO certain it could be solved and I had the forum resources here and I have many years of successful computer problem-solving and programming -- but I just didn't arrive with 9.04 and I didn't get productive and happy again until I reinstalled 8.04).

We'll see later about 9.10 (I have hope, but 9.04 was a discouraging experience -- I don't mean for anyone else, but for me). Again, I'm a fan, but I growl too (I have work to do!)...

Comment

Working...
            X