This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help

...do you know of any sites, pages, documents etc that would give konsole tutorials..

Kubuntu Forums > Important Information > Documentation > How To's > Commands at Konsole: Beginners
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

ahhh legend, sorry about not posting this question in the right place ...

Comment

Originally posted by SNL888
        do you know of any sites, pages, documents etc that would give konsole tutorials
        Short Answer
        If you read the article then you should already know the answer to that question.

Shorter Answer
        Yes I do, and some of them are linked in the article.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I have rewritten many parts of the article now. New things have been added too. Now it seems to me that maybe some pictures would make it better because 1000 words is too wordy. Do you guys think it would be more helpful with pictures? Will pictures be distracting?
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Yes, I think pictures would make it hard to read. Not a problem with pictures, per se, but more than you can't break it into easy to navigate subsections as in a wiki. Quite frankly, if you have a little time, you may consider adding this in the kubuntu wiki, and simply link to the wiki article from here (or keep a short summary here plus the link)

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu

In any case, m any thanks for the great work!

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
              That wiki doesn't appear to be intended to host articles aimed at users. Rather it seems to be targeting Kubuntu team members and bug hunters. Or am I missing the link to the user documents?
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

the wiki is for just about anything and everything under the sun, someone just might need to write or edit it
                (it is a mirror of the Ubuntu wiki) Do feel free to add a page in there, but unfortunately it might get lost in the sheer mass of pages there But it sure is easy to link to in a sig line or how-to

help.ubuntu.com is the wiki with a focus on help documentation

help.ubuntu.com also has Kubuntu specific things. If you search for the term 'repositories' there, you will find a number of pages on the subject, such as
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/
                or
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
                both provide links to Kubuntu-specific pages on the subject.
                As it is a wiki, we sort of need to rely on users to help edit and create pages as needed.
                I happened to have done a fair bit of work on the Kubuntu specific repository wiki pages, it was hard remembering to edit the main Ubuntu-specific page on the subject to add a link to the Kubuntu specific one

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                  the wiki is for just about anything and everything under the sun, someone just might need to write or edit it
                  (it is a mirror of the Ubuntu wiki) Do feel free to add a page in there, but unfortunately it might get lost in the sheer mass of pages there But it sure is easy to link to in a sig line or how-to
                  I've read this 4 times now and I still can't understand what you mean. Are you talking about wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu?

help.ubuntu.com is the wiki with a focus on help documentation
                  I've actually contributed some minor things to one or two articles in the community section. Somehow I can't picture this article fitting in there.
                  Welcome newbies!
                  Verify the ISO
                  Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

How about we get a wiki software here in KFN? Has anyone explored that idea?

Cheers!
                    Leo

Comment

with the official wikis, why duplicate the effort? And then there is the maintenance, etc neede for one. I say stick with the useful tools we do have already.

Sorry for that crappy wording on my part, Telengard

wiki.ubuntu.com/wiki.kubuntu.org are more or less catch-all wikis with pages for anything under the sun, just about. A lot of pages have to do with technical proposals, concepts, meetings, etc as well as seemingly random useful info

help.ubuntu.com is specifically for, well help. it has a better layout subject-wise, and quite a few topics do have either Kubuntu sections or links to the relevant Kubuntu-specific pages.

If someone sees a page that needs a Kubuntu counterpart or addition, anyone can create or edit one.

Comment

Originally posted by wiki.kubuntu.org
                        Help/Support

Looking for user/help related documentation? Sorry, but you are in the wrong place. Please go to:

* Official Help Documentation
                        * Community Support
                        Help and documentation aimed at users is not welcome at wiki.kubuntu.org. So that is out.
                        Welcome newbies!
                        Verify the ISO
                        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

the kubuntu wiki is just a mirror of the Ubuntu wiki. I believe it says the same thing, as well as
                          This is THE definitive place for members of the Ubuntu community to discuss ideas and store team-related information.
                          The Ubuntu Help Wiki is where you find/create help topics, Kubuntu included.

There are quite a few pages to be found there related to Kubuntu, but as can be seen, many need some updating(I found one or 2 or 10 to work on myself just now).

A wiki is a lot of work if there aren't a lot of people involved, but with what is already there, it would be much easier to edit/fix what exists already

Comment

I don't mind the idea of contributing to the help.ubuntu.com/community wiki. As I said, I've contributed one or two small things at help.ubuntu.com/community already. Since I use the help.ubuntu.com/community myself I expect to have the opportunity to contribute editing some more in the future.

I see some advantages in keeping this article here. Kubuntu users come to KFN for support, not help.ubuntu.com/community. Observe the many help requests at KFN which are already answered at help.ubuntu.com/community (or even by a simple web search). I wrote this article to guide such users to the documentation they need. If the article is moved to the wiki (where they won't look) then I won't have served them well.

By keeping this article here I can maintain full control over it. I fear that by moving it to a wiki the temptation to expand the article into a comprehensive list of Linux links will be too great for some editors. Instead of "here's how to use KDE Help Center" the article will become a meaningless list of URLs to external pages which extend far beyond the domains of Kubuntu, Canonical, and KDE. Maybe my worries are unfounded, but human nature is what it is.

Those are my thoughts for now, but I remain persuadable.
                            Welcome newbies!
                            Verify the ISO
                            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Every word in Reply #27 above (Telengard) is right.
                              I haven't read the whole thread. Don't feel I need to.
                              Agree with Telengard: Keep this here. For now & the foreseeable, at least.
                              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

By all means keep the articles here, but I don't think another wiki is useful *here*, or if it is even possible with the hosting KFN has atm, come to think of it.

If/when KFN can be moved to a different host, then anything is doable

Comment

Working...
                                X