This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.10 doesn't install

Greetings to all. I'm very new to Linux and Kubuntu. I have an old PC tower by Compaq with Windows XP and AMD 64 Athlon processor in it. I got my hands on Kunbuntu 8.10 and wanted to give it a try.

No matter what option I try, everything seems to freeze once Kubuntu 8.10 starts loading. Whether it's the demo or full install, I get the same thing...

I get the start up screen with the logo and "kubuntu" in blue, and below it is the blue cursor that goes back and forth. After about 20 seconds, it freezes and nothing more happens. The keyboard lights for "caps lock" and "scroll lock" blink and that's it.

Do I need to have the PC connected to the internet? IS there something I need to do before running it right from the CD? I purchased this version directly from Amazon.com

Thank you in advance,
    Brian

Re: Kubuntu 8.10 doesn't install

Since you bought the CD, it should be good. Take a look at #2 in the FAQs in my signature -- probably it is a power management or video display issue and you need a boot option.

First try using F4 "Safe Graphics". If that works, you can run the live CD and play with the OS. If it doesn't, try F6 "Boot Options".

Using the F6 menu option, I would first try the power management options:

noapic
    noacpi
    nolapic

If those don't help, then start working through the video options:

vga=788
    vga=791
    xforcevesa

One (or a combination) will work, almost certainly.

Comment

Thanks dibl

I did the first two steps.
      --Safe graphics didn't work. It froze up.
      --selected the noapic, nolapic, and acpi-off (no exact wording of noacpi). It froze up.

Don't know where to access the video options, do not see them on the start up/boot menu.

I can't stress enough that when it comes to actual typing of code and the like, it's completely new territory. I will try to read up and try to figure out what to do next. I didn't think it'd be so hard to install an OS system >

Comment

As dibl said, since you bought the CD from Amazon, it should be good.... but it may just pay -- if the CD loads far enough -- to - instead of selecting Install - select Check CD for defects.

Comment

Well, would you believe it---

After doing a "Check CD" I get the following message:
          Check finished: errors found in 1346 files!
          Press any key to reboot your system

So...does this mean I do an exchange with Amazon.com because the disc if faulty?

The very reason I purchased the disc was because I could never get the downloadable version of Unbuntu or Kubuntu to burn a proper disc...always problems.

Comment

Geeeeeeeeeez.

Well, the other possibility is the old optical drive. An interesting experiment would be to pop that CD into a newer computer, and "check CD for defects". If it comes up clean, we will know the culprit ....

Otherwise, download a Kubuntu ISO, verify the md5sum, and burn it at 4X with the old optical drive. Believe it or not, some optical drives like the media they burned best of all.

Comment

Well, it won't run on a Mac (it's an older iMac power pc), so I'll have to piece together my wife's newer computer and see what happens....we just finished moving and everything's in boxes. Stay tuned, I guess! :P

Comment

Originally posted by Brimey

it's an older iMac power pc
                Ummmmmmmmmmm ... that's a significant piece of information, not a parenthetical!

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPC

If that tower actually has a Power PC CPU in it, then it is not an Intel-compatible architecture -- that CD will never install Kubuntu on a Power PC! :P

Comment

no- please don't misunderstand me-- the target PC that I'm trying to install Kubuntu on is an older Compaq Windows PC.

My comment was on checking the errors on the install disc on a second computer-- which for me is my older iMac.

I might attempt to download the Kubuntu iso later this week-- but I've had nothing but errors doing so. No matter where I download it from, the disc that gets burned never works because it's full of errors. I just don't get why that happens. And I'm sketchy on the checking the md4sum...I've followed directions, but it's territory I've not been in before, so it all seems rather foreign.

Anyone live in New Hampshire? Thanks guys. Stay tuned.

Comment

Here's more info on the PC I'm trying to install on:
                    Compaq Presario
                    AMD Athlon 64 processor 3400+
                    1.81Ghz, 1.50 GB of ram

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      Geeeeeeeeeez.

Well, the other possibility is the old optical drive. An interesting experiment would be to pop that CD into a newer computer, and "check CD for defects". If it comes up clean, we will know the culprit ....

Otherwise, download a Kubuntu ISO, verify the md5sum, and burn it at 4X with the old optical drive. Believe it or not, some optical drives like the media they burned best of all.
                      Follow the directions above from dibl.

I have two intel computers a Pentium 4 and a Pentium 3 that would lock up when booting in to 8.10. The same two computers would boot up with 8.04 and 9.04.

Are you using a wireless connection to download Kubuntu? If so try disabling your wireless connection and download Kubuntu with your connection hardwired by ethernet.

If you are using windows you can download "md5summer" for free to verify the md5sum. I pasted a link below.

http://www.md5summer.org/download.html

Comment

Originally posted by Brimey
                        Here's more info on the PC I'm trying to install on:
                        Compaq Presario
                        AMD Athlon 64 processor 3400+
                        1.81Ghz, 1.50 GB of ram
                        That should run Kubuntu 9.04 just fine.

Do like Roadrunner says, re: md5 sum.

The mistake most people make burning the ISO to a CD is to let the burning software set the burn speed. You have to manually set it to 4X. Then go get a cup of coffee and read the newspaper for awhile -- it is rather slow.

Comment

Okay, I've downloaded the ISO for Kubuntu 9.04.
                          I've also downloaded the Md5summer program.
                          I've run Md5summer, selected the Kubuntu ISO and it spit out another file to my desktop....but that doesn't seem to be recognized.

I will continue to try and figure out HOW to do this whole thing--- but keep failing so far. >

Comment

Here are the actions I've taken so far--

I found that the MD5summer file that was given as a link didn't work, so I backtracked on the official Ubuntu site and found the Winmd5Sum program recommended.... ran it, checked the sum to the UbuntuHashes (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes), downloaded the recommended InfraRecorder (http://infrarecorder.org/), and am currently burning at x4 optical speed, as recommended by forum guru dibl

It has just finished burning and we'll see what happens from here. It's certainly been a learning process having to backtrack, read, and re-read posts and other documentation!

ps-sorry for the http links-- I don't know how to attach that to my post (none of the buttons look like they link addresses to text--but I'm sure I missed it)

--Brimey :P

Comment

Help again!

>
                              the Kubuntu 9.04 ISO file that I downloaded, checked the sum on, and burned, when inserted into the pc gives the following ERROR message:

Windows-No Disk
                              Exception Processing Message
                              c0000013 Parameters
                              75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c

cancel try again continue

None of this is right--- comments, suggestions, help? Please!

Comment

Working...
                              X