This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ridding Toshiba Satellite of XP

Having burnt my Jaunty J ISO I slipped it into the drive of my not-so-new Toshiba Satellite A105-S361. I opted for keeping my Windows partition, however I got an error message at the end of the install. Having run native Kubuntu and Mandriva distros for years I tried installing from the boot. Except I cannot decipher which Fn key takes me to the NetBios. I've played tiptoe-through-the-tulips across the keyboard without success. Any ideas?

Re: Ridding Toshiba Satellite of XP

On my Satellite M35X-S149, it's

"F2 for Setup, F12 for Boot Device Selection Menu" (no Fn keys).

IIRC, it's the F12 that I used to tell it to boot from CD. I'd imagine that it's similar on your model, though couldn't guarantee it.

Not sure if that's what you were looking for...

Comment

Thanks Sissy! Indeed, F12 sans the Fn key brings me to choice of setup - I go for CD. It prompts me for language, then provides several avenues to choose from, including a test install "without any change to your computer", straight up install Kubuntu, "check disk for defects", test memory and boot from hard disk.

The CD drive clicks, whistles and purrs at each choice, but nothing happens. I try to arrow to another option: no can do. Same for tab. On two options the keys beep back at me. Only one option, to boot from the hard disk with Windows on it, produces results. Friends have mentioned the jackalope gets hung on boot quite often. But I haven't even installed it yet!

Comment

But you can choose one initially, right?

You might just give it some time. The process was painfully slow when I did it.

Comment

The first thing to occur to me is that the CD burn could be faulty, especially if you can't check the cd for errors!

I would suggest you burn it again on a new CD and, to be on the safe side, on a very slow setting.

Comment

Re: Ridding Toshiba Satellite of XP - RESOLVED

Indeed I burned another copy and voila! Easily the fastest transition I've ever had, and on a dual partition even. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X