Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK,OK, I need some major hand holding here...! How do I install a tar.giz file?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK,OK, I need some major hand holding here...! How do I install a tar.giz file?

No wonder people go back to F'n windows....I down loaded and installed the oxyglass theme to my Home folder in the task bar. but it deos not show up under my themes so I can use the great wall paper...!!

Re: OK,OK, I need some major hand holding here...! How do I install a tar.giz file?

I note you have downloaded the theme to your home folder but I'ts not clear what you did to install it. What did you do after downloading it?

Actually, having re-read your post, I see you want to know what to do with it.

A tar.gz file is what you would know as a zip file. It needs extracting - right click on it and you should see an extract option. What files can you see inside the extracted folder?

Comment

Re: OK,OK, I need some major hand holding here...! How do I install a tar.giz file?

Do you mean the oxyglass plasma (desktop) theme?

The easiest way to install plasma themes is Right-click on desktop > Appearance Settings > Click 'New Theme' > Search for 'oxyglass' > Install

Comment

I go to /Home/Troy in the task bar...There are nine folders:
        Desktop
        Documents
        Music
        Oxyglass_More
        Pictures
        Public
        Smooth_Black
        Templates
        Videos
        and one smooth_Black tar.giz file...!

Comment

I don't have my Linux box with me at the mo but kubicles solution seems the right way to install the theme.

Unless I'm badly wrong you should be able to simply navigate from there to downloaded the tar.gz file and click install. I'll know more when I get home in an hour or 2.

Comment

I'll wait....

This is a perfect example why Linux may never overtake windows. Or Apple for that matter.
            something as easy as changing the desktop does not work the way another person thinks it would. And is just to convoluted....

Comment

Originally posted by TroyR
              I'll wait....

This is a perfect example why Linux may never overtake windows. Or Apple for that matter.
              something as easy as changing the desktop does not work the way another person things it would. And is just to complicated....
              Sure, wait all you want. But, consider that you had a learning curve in Windows, too. You were not born with the knowledge of how to run it nor, I suspect, did you have to install it, since MS still has a major strangle hold on the PC OEMs. Here's a thought: try installing Windows from a CD and then compare it with installing Kubuntu from a LiveCD
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'll wait for Liquidator......!

Comment

Okay 2 things.

Oxyglass more theme is available as follows:

Right click/desktop settings/new theme. A doalog box will be populated with themes to download - oxyglass more is amongst them. Select install. When it has finished downloading click close and then you can select it in the theme drop-down box. Remember though that these are simply themes for the plasma desktop so you will see subtle changes to the panel and the things that go on it. The selection that is already available from that drop down menu IMHO make rather more striking changes but it will be whatever floats your boat.

The wallpaper should be available but it seems that as kde4 goes through updates they can disappear. The base set of KDE4 papers is available for download here

http://www.tile64.com/2008/01/29/kde4-wallpaper-pack/

This is a zip file. Create a new folder (open the folder home/documents for example - right click on an empty space in the file manager and select create new/folder. Right click on the zip file and select extract to and navigate to the new folder. The pics will be extracted but note they will be in a variety of sizes. The picture I think you want is curls on green. Right click on desktop and ensure that wallpaper type is "image". Then with the drop down box marked "picture" navigate to the curls on green directory and select the one that suits your resolution. Yopu can delete any you don't want, and if you fancy a change you can select a slideshow.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you, Please look for me tomorrow. I'll try then....it's getting late. OK

Comment

good luck!

Comment

the question still remains: why not install the theme via the built-in theme installer? It is getting the files from the kde-look.org

oxyglass is a plasma theme, and does not itself contain a wallpaper

you can manually install the them , if you wish, simply extract the files from the tar, and move the Oxyglass folder to /home/{username}/.kde/share/apps/desktoptheme. You will need to exit and restart the theme chooser for it to show up.

Now, there is a wallpaper browser/installer as well, but it only looks at kde-look, tho there are some good ones there.

Comment

Thankyou Claydoe, but where do I extract the tar files too..?

And if Oxyglass does not contain wallpaper perhaps that is part of my problem. I was only looking for a particular wall paper. That was all.

Comment

Simply right clicking on the downloaded folder and extract here will extract the file to the same directory and create the oxyglass folder Claydoh refers to. You then move that folder to the folder referred to and follow the instructions you have been given. However, as also referred to the theme can be selected and automatically installed via the install option within desktop settings.

I think the problem is a difference in understanding what a theme does. When you download a theme for Windows you wind up with wallpaper, icons, mouse themes and sound effects. With a plasma theme, you don't get most of those and unless you know that, when you look at examples on the internet, you can be led down the wrong path.

As all you want is the wallpaper, downloading the file I referred to and following the instructions will, I am sure, give you what you want.

Comment

I hope you don't mind, I printed your instructions for future reference.
                              Thankyou for everyones help.

Comment

Working...
                              X