X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Nvidia geforce 8600m GT card

Hello.

I have a big problem with kubuntu. Almost everyday it freez and my desktop become messed-if i had a old graphic card (i dont know how to describe). I must push and hold my power button to shut it down (i dont have a restart button-laptop). I tried ctrl-alt-backspace, but it didnt work.

I use a nvidia 180 driver. I tried nvidia 177 driver on new installed kubuntu but it happend the same.

I have a Acer laptop with Nvidia geforce 8600m GT 512MB.

I use Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.1 -all updates- and compiz (compiz is not the problem because it happend without compiz.)

I hope someone can help me (im new at linux).

TY

Re: Problems with Nvidia geforce 8600m GT card

Have you tried to install and run the EnvyNG package? It's a handy app that checks your system and recommends you the best option according to your video card. Of course, everything that EnvyNg does you can do it, but if you do not feel safe hacking configuration files and using the command line EnvyNg is probably the best option.

Comment

TY barbolani for your advice. I will try EnvyNG.
      I will make a post in two weeks to tell if this helped or not.

Comment

EnvyNG didn't solve my problems. 5min ago Kubuntu freeze again, it become messed and the screen blink when i watchet some pictures. And again i must hold the power button to shut it down.

Does someone have a solution for this problem.

Comment

why do you think this is a video card issue? from your description, it could be any number of things, or so it seems.

mm0
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

I read somewhere that there where problems with my video card (GeForce 8600m GT with any nvidia drivers).

But didnt said anything how to solve it.

Comment

works fine for me. I have the same card.

mm0
              Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

I have not seen a report of an Nvidia driver problem that causes the desktop or the system to "freeze". I am also doubtful that the problem is the video driver.

Have you run memtest overnight?

How does this system work when the Live CD is booted? How long will it run a Live CD session before freezing?

Are there any other operating systems installed? How long does it run with them booted?

Have you ever let it run overnight in text mode? Does it only freeze when KDE is running?

Comment

yeah, that's what I meant to type...

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    I have not seen a report of an Nvidia driver problem that causes the desktop or the system to "freeze". I am also doubtful that the problem is the video driver.

1.Have you run memtest overnight?

2.How does this system work when the Live CD is booted? How long will it run a Live CD session before freezing?

3.Are there any other operating systems installed? How long does it run with them booted?

4.Have you ever let it run overnight in text mode? Does it only freeze when KDE is running?
                    I thoth that is something wrong with my video card or drivers because, everytime it freeze my desktop become totally messed (desktop is not sharp) and you can not recognize any thing (background, icons,..).

That usuly happens when i watch pictures, use compiz cube, ...

1. No i havent run memtest, my laptop dont run over night. I use Kubuntu about 4h a day.

2. With live cd it runs fine and also normaly it runs fine. There is no time when it will freeze. Sometime it wont freeze for two week and sometime it will freeze 2 times a day ( when i watch pictures, compiz cube, ...).

3. I dual boot it with Windows Vista and there i dont have any problems.

4. Didnt run it in text mode and yes it freeze when KDE is runing, but not always.

PS: I run compiz, but compiz is not the problem because i tried without compiz and the problem is the same.

Comment

I found something on OpenSuSE forums.

Some users have almost identical problems as i have.

It seems that this is not a graphic problems, it could be a kernel bug. When it freeze the CPU jump on 100% and you cant do anything.

Here are the links:

http://forums.opensuse.org/install-b...some-time.html

http://forums.opensuse.org/install-b...ocking-up.html

PS: Is not only the KDE that freeze, it happend also on GNOME.

Comment

FYI a nicer way to reboot your computer in these scenarios:

Hold down Alt and SysRq (PrintScreen). With those held, type R, E, I, S, U, B ("busier" backwards). This essentially talks straight to the kernel and says "We're going for an emergency reboot NOW, brace yourself!" and should help prevent filesystem corruption and the like.

Are you able to ping or SSH to your machine when it's in this crashed state? Can you find out what process is taking so much of the CPU?

Try disabling compositing in KDE. Then reboot, try running glxgears a few times. Does that cause a crash?

Comment

Have a toshiba laptop with the same 8600m gt card. as soon as i activated the latest driver, my screen froze. now my screen freezes at random. also tried the other available driver, and it does the same thing. after reloading kubuntu, i have no problems until i activated the drivers for this video card again.

Comment

JamesM the problem is that the keyboard is dead when it freeze. The strange thing is that sometimes the mouse works, but i can not click any icons i cant even recognize the icons because the screen is messed (out of focus).

ogre593 i also tried different nvidia drivers, but is always the same.

Comment

Hi there. I am new in kubuntu 12.04. I am using it for 2h. (at the time of registration.) I had a problem with kubuntu witch froze after log on. I've try looking for solution on forum, but no luck. But I found solution by my selve I am very proud.

In my case kubuntu didnt freez. Desktop refresh was the problem. It started twiching after I instaled latest nvidia drivers for graphic( ge force 8800 gt). And on second kubuntu setup (1h later ) started twitching on first login. You need to uninstall them and install drivers that system recommend. So, now you know solution. And how will you do that if your desktop is frozen?

You need to go to Start (button with K on the bottom left side of the screen) Application – System -Additional drivers. I know you can't do this because of the freez. But here is the funny thing:
                              Memorise positions of the icons in the start button. ( Application – System -Additional drivers), and then when start panel is CLOSED, click on the desktop on places where in start panel icons are. (sorry about bad english). Remove current drivers and install recommended ones. Desktop refreshes every time you click on start button, and then click New activity tab. (top right corner)
                              Now tell me that you didn't laught. This is very funny error.
                              All so this is my first post ever. Sorry if I didnt do this right.

Comment

Working...
                              X