This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nvidia releases driver 180.22

OK, so before I start this again, is the driver download supposed to be in a specific spot right now?

Comment

Your /home/user folder is fine to save it initially, but the first thing the instruction has you do, after shutting down KDM, is to make a directory in /tmp and copy (cp) the file there, before you run it.

Comment

I still have the same garbled screen and freezing issues using the 180.22 driver.
        64 bit Kubuntu 8.10 on KDE 4.2
        Geforce 8700m GT

I've had no luck using any of the 180.x drivers I've tried up to this point, and was stuck with the crappy performance of 177.82.
        I've gotten mine working by using the newest beta - 180.27. Performance is great, no hangs so far (20 hours in!) with Kwin composting enabled. They only issue I have at this point is I occasionally get a few weird lines that I'm assuming are some sort of plasma underpinning that bleeds through. This seems to happen mostly when I have a dialog box pop-up. I can live with it.

I hope this helps someone!

Comment

Feedback - (and in spite of my comments, thank you for the procedure)

Originally posted by dibl
          OK, I installed it and it works just fine. I'm going to lay out the steps -- I assume it will be available in EnvyNG very soon, but this will be for those who like to try out the Beta drivers before a new driver is released.

NOTE: If you have previously used "Restricted Driver Manager" or "nvidia-xxx-glx" then you're going to have to do these things before you can install the new driver (otherwise proceed directly to Step #1) :

- Open Adept or Synaptic, or use apt-get, and remove --purge linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`
          - Remove any and all packages beginning with "nvidia-..." (see command line below)
          - Use your editor in root mode to open the file /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common, and on the last line where it says

DISABLED_MODULES=""

insert "nv" between the quote marks, so it reads:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv"

and save it. Next, at the "/~$" prompt

Code:
          sudo rm -rf nvidia*
          Now go to #1 and begin.

1. Download the 32-bit or 64-bit driver, as appropriate, to your /home/user/Desktop folder from here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

or here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606

2. When it is done downloading, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace out of the X server, and log in to the CLI. If Intrepid returns you to the GUI login, click the "Menu" at the bottom and choose "console login". Log in at the console.

Code:
          sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
          Code:
          cd /tmp
          Code:
          sudo mkdir nv
          Code:
          cd nv
          Code:
          sudo cp /home/user/Desktop/NV{TAB to complete} .
          NOTICE THE "."!

Code:
          sudo sh NV{TAB to complete}
          8.a. Accept the license
          b. Remove prior driver? = Y
          c. Download a kernel interface? = Y
          c. Compile a kernel interface? = OK
          d. Install Nvidia's 32-bit compatibility OpenGL libraries? = Y
          e. Run the nvidia-xconfig utility? = N (if you already have a good xorg.conf -- Y if not)

Code:
          sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start

I followed the procedure, but when I executed

'sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start'

I would eventually get hung up following a line saying it was starting...

Executing dmesg showed that I had module conflicts between my old driver and the new one.

Apparently I made my mistake at the line:

'- Remove any and all packages beginning with "nvidia-..." (see command line below)'

I had presumed this was refering to the line "sudo rm -rf nvidia*'; apparently not.

I was only able to get the procedure to 'work' by executing the following:

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*

Which removed quite a bit, btw.

Now I *seem* to be running a 'good' desktop using the nvidia 180.22 drivers.

Comment

dibl,

I have posted in the installation and boot section about my experiences with the nvidia drivers.

I am worried that my experiences might lead some folks into trouble, and I would like to avoid that. If you have any constructive criticism I would be most grateful,

Cheers,

Mudlark

Comment

Need some help on line 6

TAB gives a beeb nothing more. An enter will give text that the comand cp is not correct and missing information.

eljo@eljo-desktop:~$ sudo cp /home/eljo/Bureaublad/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.16-pkg1.run
              cp: ontbrekende bestemming na `/home/eljo/Bureaublad/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.16-pkg1.run'
              Typ 'cp --help' voor meer informatie.
              Linux beautiful to watch!<br />Kubuntu 10.4 with Canon MX310 in Samba network with Windows XP &amp; 7

Comment

Originally posted by Eljo
                Need some help on line 6

TAB gives a beeb nothing more. An enter will give text that the comand cp is not correct and missing information.

eljo@eljo-desktop:~$ sudo cp /home/eljo/Bureaublad/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.16-pkg1.run
                I don't speak Dutch, but I think I see the problem.

First, I assume you have "changed directory" (cd) to /tmp/nv and you are executing the cp command from there.

So, the line 6 command looks like this:

eljo@eljo-desktop:/tmp/nv$ sudo cp /home/eljo/Bureaublad/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.16-pkg1.run .
                Note that there is a period at the end of the command, which I colored red to emphasize. This tells the cp command to copy the file to the current directory. So, if you just write "sudo cp /home/eljo/Bureaublad/NV" and then press the Tab key, it should finish the name of the file and add a space. But then you must add the period, and press "Enter".

If it executes the copy command correctly, there is no feedback at all. You can confirm that the file is now existing in the /tmp/nv directory by doing the ls command there.

Code:
                eljo@eljo-desktop:/tmp/nv$ ls
                You should see the NVIDIA-xxxx file listed.

Then you can run it with the line 7 command as I wrote it.

Comment

Working...
                X