X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia releases driver 180.22

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606

Re: Nvidia releases driver 180.22

Did you try it? If so which version of the kernal are you running and which hardware?

I was seeing a lot of bugs a few days ago did they fix them all and make a proper release?

Comment

Originally posted by Vexar
      Did you try it? If so which version of the kernal are you running and which hardware?

I was seeing a lot of bugs a few days ago did they fix them all and make a proper release?
      I tired it...
      Didn't end well.
      I installed it, but when it came to building kernel config (or something similar) It said that it doesn't recognize the kernel so it
      went and compiled it by it self.
      But when I tried to go back to X it didn't wanted to start...
      It said that the driver is 180.22 but kernel wants the 177.22.
      I was a bit confused as it supposedly did recompile the kernel so it would recognize the 180...
      Anyway I had to reinstall the 177 and reconfigure the X to get things working again.
      But I did forget to uninstall or remove form use the 177 version.
      If you wonder my kernel is 27-11
      I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

OK, I installed it and it works just fine. I'm going to lay out the steps -- I assume it will be available in EnvyNG very soon, but this will be for those who like to try out the Beta drivers before a new driver is released.

NOTE: If you have previously used "Restricted Driver Manager" or "nvidia-xxx-glx" then you're going to have to do these things before you can install the new driver (otherwise proceed directly to Step #1) :

- Open Adept or Synaptic, or use apt-get, and remove --purge linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`
        - Remove any and all packages beginning with "nvidia-..." (see command line below) *
        - Use your editor in root mode to open the file /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common, and on the last line where it says

DISABLED_MODULES=""

insert "nv" between the quote marks, so it reads:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv"

and save it. Next, at the "/~$" prompt

Code:
        sudo rm -rf nvidia*
        and
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential
        Now go to #1 and begin.

1. Download the 32-bit or 64-bit driver, as appropriate, to your /home/user/Desktop folder from here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

or here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606

Get the ...pkg1.run for 32-bit, or ...pkg2.run for 64-bit.

2. When it is done downloading, Ctrl-Alt-F1 out of the X server, and log in to the CLI. If KDM returns you to the GUI login, click the "Menu" at the bottom and choose "console login". Log in at the console.

Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
        Code:
        cd /tmp
        Code:
        sudo mkdir nv
        Code:
        cd nv
        Code:
        sudo cp /home/user/Desktop/NV{TAB to complete} .
        NOTICE THE "."!

Code:
        sudo sh NV{TAB to complete}
        8.a. Accept the license
        b. Remove prior driver? = Y
        c. Download a kernel interface? = Y
        d. Compile a kernel interface? = OK
        e. Install Nvidia's 32-bit compatibility OpenGL libraries? = Y
        f. Run the nvidia-xconfig utility? = N (if you already have a good xorg.conf -- Y if not)

Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start

Comment

Originally posted by Primoz

I tired it...
          Didn't end well.
          I installed it, but when it came to building kernel config (or something similar) It said that it doesn't recognize the kernel so it
          went and compiled it by it self.
          But when I tried to go back to X it didn't wanted to start...
          It said that the driver is 180.22 but kernel wants the 177.22.
          I was a bit confused as it supposedly did recompile the kernel so it would recognize the 180...
          Anyway I had to reinstall the 177 and reconfigure the X to get things working again.
          But I did forget to uninstall or remove form use the 177 version.
          If you wonder my kernel is 27-11
          Yep me too just got back to 177 same exact problem, see the 9 steps above, and am willing to try again, question are you running the x64 version? Are you running twin view with Duel Monitors?

I do get a little lost after step 9 looks like you are say it is working then continue with more commands for the clean up, I guess I am looking for a use this driver in the hardware settings like 177 type of easy to use guide. :-)

Btw don't know if this helps but when I restored 177 all my gadgets and my panel are gone, I can see them still listed but none are to be found on any of the 4 desktop's, when I recreate the panel after removing all the gadgets it is never back to the same level that it started with, any one know a command for restoring the KDE install settings so I can start again, this happened before with my gadgets on my second monitor on desktop 1 of 4.

Finally when will that happen if this is the "Official release" when will it show up in the accepted or recommend section of the hardware install? How many weeks or months does this usually take?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Never mind on the Gadget question, I deleted the file to restore it, took a few tries, but then it restarted back to default, then I setup everything again. So 180.22 is a wash for me I will wait until either I know more, or it is apart of the hardware update section for KDE, was a good waste of 4 hours.

Comment

I do get a little lost after step 9 looks like you are say it is working then continue with more commands for the clean up, I guess I am looking for a use this driver in the hardware settings like 177 type of easy to use guide. :-)
              OK. I'lll fix it.

Comment

Amazing as it sounds it took 3 mins including download and restart to get the drivers working on XP, i am the suck with Linux. Good thing was I got to test out the drivers in the best case for running games, and 3D apps on this hardware, they are 5% faster overall with my current tests.

Thanks for fixing your post btw and the guide seems like we are the only 3 that tried it. :-) When I work up the courage I will attempt to fly amongst the wise penguins with wings, at this moment I am egg, and don't grok.

Comment

kernel 2.6.27, GeForce 6200

I installed it and it all seems fine. I was using 180.x beta driver so i do not see any difference between it and this release. When I switched from 177 to 180 beta though, that made lots of difference, for the better.

Comment

Agree -- I see no difference from 180.18. But I see a LOT of difference from 177.xx!

Here, I have KDE Version 4.1.85 (KDE 4.1.85 (KDE 4.2 Beta2)) on:

dibl@ibex:~$ uname -a
                    Linux ibex 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 22:15:32 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                    dibl@ibex:~$ lsb_release -a
                    No LSB modules are available.
                    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                    Description: Ubuntu 8.10
                    Release: 8.10
                    Codename: intrepid

Comment

I decided to give it another try, as it was supposedly the culprit behind my screen garbage.
                      So before any fiddling I decided to check if my 177 is disengaged. And it was so I decided that the best thing is to engage it and see if my screen garbage
                      stops. Well when I restarted my X totally died so I was forced to install the Nvidia driver.
                      I recommend to anyone that they have Lynx installed as it's the life saver.
                      With Lynx I could access this post from CLI and correctly installed the 180.
                      Now the question is how to prevent breakage due to updates.
                      I know how to do it in Arch but I don't know how to do it in Kubuntu...
                      I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

Originally posted by Primoz
                        Now the question is how to prevent breakage due to updates.
                        I know how to do it in Arch but I don't know how to do it in Kubuntu...
                        If you do not have your kubuntu manage nvidia-driver (you did not install it through apt-get) then there should be no breakage as kubuntu will not try to update it. Only problem is that nvidia module is compiled against current kernel version, so if you update your kernel, there is good chance nvidia module will not load and you will end up at blank screen. At that time, simply reinstall driver, which will compile nvidia module against new kernel and you should be good to go.

Comment

Normal updates won't break the Nvidia driver. That includes
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                          However, if a new kernel version is offered and you install it, you need to understand that booting the new kernel will take you to a CLI (console) prompt, since the Nvidia driver won't yet be installed on it. So, it is wise to keep the downloaded Nvidia driver file somewhere on your system where you can get to it if you need it.

8)

Comment

Thanks dibl. Works a treat. Improvement on 177

Comment

Well I regrouped mentally and this wasn't easy for me, and got it all working. Thanks Dibl I give you a personal KDE Pengo Award for the directions, my problem was that I didn't remove the Nvidia drivers or even de activate them before installing the new ones, but I didn't have your directions either, so this time I followed and it worked very well. My Desktop FPS feels like windows XP which is a first for me in any Linux environment!

Only issue is that I lost my tool bar for the 5 th time which I place on my second 24 wide screen display so if you do this update make sure you reset your tool bar to the default location before starting. At this point I know its running but I can't see it, my only way to launch apps is to use the run command or create a new launcher gadget and then use it. So I will end up clearing this setup out again and restarting fresh.

On my other request another I was up too late smoking crack moment, it dawned on me this morning that if I wanted an Nvidia GPU perf setup like i have on windows, I should go actually to the Nvidia site and look. Well who knew they would have a Linux version. It's not a gadget but better overall. http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfkit_home.html

Comment

Working...
                              X