This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nvidia releases driver 180.22

Ugh. 180.xx stable is supposed to be released for Envy/Intrepid, right? I'm dying over here! :P

Comment

EnvyNG usually picks up the new drivers very quickly -- I would assume you are days or no more than a week or two from an upgrade that includes it.

Comment

I'm in a similar mess. Was using 177, switched to 180.06(?) Beta to correct the OpenOffice issue. Everything was fine until I tried installing 180.22. That was when things blew up. I booted in recovery mode and fixed the X-Server. Now I only have 800x600. When I follow your instructions, during the install, I have two instances of the same error:

Unable to open /usr/lib/nvidia/libglx.so.xserver-xorg-core or something similar.

Does anyone know how I can recover?

Thanks in advance.
        Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10 (x86)<br />KDE 4.1.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.27-9-generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 180.06<br />Xorg:&nbsp; 1.5.2<br />nvidia GeForce 6200

Comment

UPDATE:
          Followed your instructions and installed 180.06. I'm back in business! Working from a 800x600 resolution was painful. I would still like to move to 180.22 and away from Betas, but I'm not sure what is the best way to proceed. Any ideas?
          Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10 (x86)<br />KDE 4.1.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.27-9-generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 180.06<br />Xorg:&nbsp; 1.5.2<br />nvidia GeForce 6200

Comment

If you Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to get out of X and shut it down with
            Code:
            sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
            and then follow every step of post #3, I would expect you to end up with a good driver installation. Don't omit the
            Code:
            sudo rm -rf nvidia*
            step -- and do that at the "/~$" prompt, by the way.

Comment

Thanks dibl! I'll give that a try

Comment

Okay, I tried 180.22 again following the instructions in this thread. When the installer is checking for conflicts, I get the following error:

Unable to open /usr/lib/nvidia/libglx.so.xserver-xorg-core for reading
                I'll see this error message twice. However, when I go back to 180.06, it installs correctly with no errors. Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by sledhead
                  Any idea what is wrong?
                  It sure looks like
                  Code:
                  sudo rm -rf nvidia*
                  isn't removing the old driver files. Very odd.

Comment

Is it?

Code:
                    sudo rm -rf nvidia*.*
                    or

Code:
                    sudo rm -rf nvidia*
                    I'll try again with the latter.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Still no luck. I just want to check where I run the "rm" command. Is it from my home or from root directory? I'm thinking it is home.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        EnvyNG usually picks up the new drivers very quickly -- I would assume you are days or no more than a week or two from an upgrade that includes it.
                        ... No blog entries over at EnvyNG headquarters since December...

Comment

Originally posted by sledhead
                          Is it?

Code:
                          sudo rm -rf nvidia*.*
                          or

Code:
                          sudo rm -rf nvidia*
                          I'll try again with the latter.

Thanks for your help!
                          The latter -- I must have been on a Wintel POS when I wrote that.

And do it from the root directory ("/~$"), so it catches all nvidia files on the system.

Comment

Thanks dibl!

That time it worked. For some reason, "rm -rf nvidia*" would not function in a recursive mode. I had to use Dolphin to find then delete the files.

Comment

It's not letting me save it I don't have permissions, How can I change the permissions?

Note: The file is: linux-restricted-modules-common

Comment

Jokervx4@

Do your self a favor and stop downloading individual .deb files. Use the package managers (Adept Manager or Synaptic (preferred)) to select and install packages.

linux-restricted-modules-common is in the repositories, and therefore, selectable and installable via same.
                                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X