This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

That's a good point, and I'll fix it (whether the typical noob knows the difference, or not ....).

Thanks!

Comment

Re: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Nice post, except for one thing. It is considered an HTML faux-pas to use:
      Code:
      for a really handy guide, click <a href="example.com">here</a>
      I didn't realize until my touchpad stopped working how important that it is to avoid this. Long story short, I would highly recommend making your links at least slightly more unique. It makes them more descriptive to the general public, and WAY more easy to navigate for us "keyboardists".
      Running Kubuntu 10.04 LTS 32bit on an EeePC netbook (model: 1005HAB).&nbsp; <br /><br />Found the following image online and thought it was funny:<br />

Comment

Re: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs &amp; Answers

Updated a couple of items today, including added partitioning "how to" links.

Comment

Updated today -- revised #15 to provide detailed procedure for installing and configuring internal hard drive.

Comment

For "8.a. Wireless Doesn't Work." There is a large database of Linux on a huge number of Wireless Cards at http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

If a card shows green it should work on Linux. Drivers are shown.
            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Excellent -- thank you (again) arochester! I have updated the guidance to include this helpful site.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                NOTE: (a) AHCI mode provides the fastest performance for most SATA hard disk drives, but it is normally not the best/fastest mode for a SSD.
                I didn't know this. Switching from AHCI to legacy mode cut my boot time from 20 to 17 sec from grub to working desktop.

Thanks, dibl!
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Sure -- a 15% speedup is always welcome, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    Sure -- a 15% speedup is always welcome, eh?
                    It is - but it's a little strange. There was *no* speedup after the machine booted but a pretty significant increase during boot. Only thing I can figure is that command queueing during boot was causing issues. hdparm after the machine's running shows about a 1% increase.

Like I said, strange - but thanks again
                    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                    -- anais nin

Comment

I don't claim great expertise on drive/controller technology, but from a high level simple-minded perspective, it is obvious that a rotating hard drive experiences delays during head "seek" tasks, which can occur during both write and read operations, but a SSD never needs to seek, because it is solid state memory. So, a single large non-fragmented file on a HDD would only experience one seek to read or write -- the rest of the time while the bits are passing across the SATA bus would be the same for the SSD (assuming a SATA SSD), resulting in very little difference in performance of that test between the HDD and the SSD. Compare that to the difference between a HDD and SSD for passing 25,000 small files randomly scattered around the drives. The proportion of seek time, versus transfer time, would be far, far higher, and the SSD should be way faster in that case. I don't know how the hdparm test is performed, but the question of file-seeking might be relevant to your observation.

Comment

Working...
                      X