This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

OK, fair enough. I think my signature is about maxed out with what's in it, so I'll just change it.

Thanks for the suggestion, kbunt!

Comment

Originally posted by kbunt
      How about?: have the link in your .sig?
      And here I was thinking of bookmarks in klipper and all! The KISS princiiple never occured to me! Thanks for bringing me back down to earth, kbunt
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Nooo! don't change your sig, people can learn from your mistakes (and successes)! I don't know how old you are but if you are anywhere near my age and been in the computer industry working with Nasa through your company (mine was Seimens), then you have a unique perspective on computers and their languages...

Terabyte
        Terabyte<br /><br />Non sibi sed omnibus (Not for oneself, but for all)

Comment

Re: Top Kubuntu FAQs &amp; Answers

Well, the link to the FAQ only replaces my hardware, which isn't that interesting, so let's try it.

Toad, this FAQ was a result of your idea for a central writeup -- you are certainly welcome to put the link in your signature too, if you wish. Actually anybody whs thinks it might be useful can do so -- it's full of other people's work, especially Rog131.

I called it "Top 20" to motivate myself to find another couple of issues to include.

Comment

NASA and Siemens working together? Am VERY surprised that between them they managed to get a packet of crisps into orbit...

Re signature - done that straight after kbunt suggested it but it ain't as shine, pretty and bold as yours, dibl
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
              NASA and Siemens working together?

What I like about Linux ---- NO BUREAUCRACY!

Comment

Re: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs &amp; Answers

dibl's da man.
                ty d..
                compaq presario v5208TU, <br />intel mobile 945GM/PM/GMS 943/940GML<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; celeron M 410 @1.46GHz, 1.96G ram<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Broadcom BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; #! 9.04(solid!) and LMDE

Comment

as of intrepid EXT3 partitions are formated with I-nodes of 256

on http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning his best advice for dual-booting windows suggests;

ntfs win partition
                  EXT3 /home as shared via http://www.fs-driver.org/faq.html which is no-longer possible as
                  "I-nodes that are larger than 128 bytes are not supported."
                  EXT3 / partition
                  swap partition

"currently there is only one workaround: Please backup the files and create the EXT3 file system again.
                  Give the mkfs.ext3 tool the -I 128 switch.
                  Finally, restore all files with the backup."

i've read 256 I-nodes are to make migration to EXT4 smoother..
                  compaq presario v5208TU, <br />intel mobile 945GM/PM/GMS 943/940GML<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; celeron M 410 @1.46GHz, 1.96G ram<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Broadcom BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; #! 9.04(solid!) and LMDE

Comment

ventper, "as of intrepid EXT3 partitions are formated with I-nodes of 256"

That seems so. The old GRUB (based on 128, controlling an existing dual-boot setup) trying to boot a new Intrepid GRUB (in the 256 partition) throws off GRUB 2 errors (Bad File or Directory Type) because of it. Rx: install new GRUB from Intrepid's /boot/grub into one's "old" GRUB partition(s) (so it will boot Intrepid and everything else).
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

hey,
                      it's kind of embarrassing... but, i really really can't remember how to get the ling on my sig nice with just the text to click and not need of the address...

(ah! i took the liberty to put the link on my sig.. - so next time i need it i can find it fast, :P )
                      yhotg<br /><br />--------------<br />dibl&#39;s Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs

Comment

Originally posted by yhotg
                        it's kind of embarrassing... but, i really really can't remember how to get the ling on my sig nice with just the text to click and not need of the address...
                        Code:
                        [url=http://www.url_address.com]Link text[/url]

Comment

thanks kubicle
                          yhotg<br /><br />--------------<br />dibl&#39;s Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs

Comment

How about adding to 8a Wireless doesn't work a link to "Useful resources for beginners setting up your wireless connection" at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=596797

Good stuff.
                            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Great suggestion, arochester -- I'll do it! I'm also going to put a link to Little Girl's NFS guide, if I can track it down.

Thanks!

Comment

One little nitpick: Wine Is Not an Emulator

Originally posted by http://www.winehq.org/about/
                                Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on Linux and other POSIX compatible operating systems. Windows programs running in Wine act as native programs would, running without the performance or memory usage penalties of an emulator, with a similar look and feel to other applications on your desktop.
                                Thanks dibl.
                                Welcome newbies!
                                Verify the ISO
                                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                                X