This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project Neon

I'd just like to confirm Nate's post. I haven't been able to bork my system yet by installing packages from the repo (and that is quite something!). I am not too firm on adept, but if you use apt-get you get an exact list of what the system proposes. If in doubt ask here first
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I gathered enough courage and installed....god damn 4.2 is going to be a great release! thanks for all the help

Comment

@conholster

KDE 4.2 is great indeed! Packaged with *many* new features. And most importantly, they fixed every single bug I reported got 4.1.3

Comment

Apart from an empty Applications menu, I'm also missing three widgets. Two in the taskbar and one on the desktop (plasma_applet_notes).

Any idea how to fix this ?

Comment

The missing applications issue was solved earlier in this thread. Which widgets are you missing? Have checked the add widgets menu?

Comment

I've just heard a colleague telling he had the widgets and the applications menu right from the start. So, if there's a way to have to done with apt-get I'll be very glad. Because I'm rather bad in editing and pushing files around to make things work.

The widget on the desktop is most probably the one with the yellow sticky note (plasma_applets_notes) and the ones on the taskbar were removed when restarting. But one of them was the one to show the desktop. Trying to add a widget from the internet doesn't work at all.

Add Widgets -> Install New Widgets -> Download New Plasma Widgets -> *nothing*

Comment

Project Neon debs are updated quite often (with the latest release being today), so it's possible the issue is fixed by now. I initially wiped my .kde-neon, then copied my .kde dir to .kde-neon and then applied the ugly fixes for apps menu and lock screen (it's not actually that difficult, needs you to type two commands). Now it works perfectly and I actually use it full time.

Anyway, since it does not mess with your current configuration you can safely install it. If you don't like it you can either remove it or use 4.1.3 till fixes are released.

Comment

I assume the 'unlock' you're talking about is the unlocking of the desktop ? what command needs to be issued to fix this ennoying problem ?

And I wasn't aware .kde and .kde-neon were interchangable. Thanks !! :-)

Comment

The issue I mentioned earlier was that a locked desktop could not be unlocked by providing the correct password.
                    I found the fix on Project Neon Google Group .
                    Code:
                     sudo chmod +s /opt/kde-nightly/lib/kde4/libexec/kcheckpass
                    KDE 4.2 is available as a different session (you have to select kde-neon at kdm login), with a different config folder, .kde-neon .

Comment

The missing widgets:

* plasma_applet_notes (desktop)
                      * quickaccess (taskbar)
                      * showdashboard (taskbar)

I have lovely red boxes with a white X instead. :-)

Comment

Yea, I can confirm those are missing. They will probably be back in time for the final release.

Comment

Originally posted by musta ruhtinas
                          from here

Code:
                           cp /etc/xdg/menus/kde4-applications.menu ~/.config/menus/applications.menu
                          and rerun kbuildsycoca4
                          Again, this is a great tip musta ruhtinas! We should tell apachelogger, so he adds it in his page on the KDE wiki. It would be nice if /bin/bash (the OP) could add the tip to the original post. I tried symlinking, it works fine, and it's probably a better solution, because this way you keep up to changes in /etc/xdg/menus:

Code:
                          ln -s /etc/xdg/menus/kde4-applications.menu ~/.config/menus/applications.menu
                          kbuildsycoca4

Comment

Originally posted by musta ruhtinas
                            ...Anyway, since it does not mess with your current configuration you can safely install it. If you don't like it you can either remove it or use 4.1.3 till fixes are released.
                            Not entirely true...

Originally posted by #!/bin/bash
                            Well, yes, KDE 4.1.3 has only bugfixes and no oxygen changes. I was told at #kubuntu-devel that the oxygen theme changes are because you have KDE-nightly installed and have used it atleast once.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                              Again, this is a great tip musta ruhtinas! We should tell apachelogger, so he adds it in his page on the KDE wiki.
                              Ok, I did contact Harald (appachelogger). He says that the intrepid builds are still not ready enough, and that's why he only announced the hardy repos for kde-nightly. This issue with the menus will be addressed properly before switching to intrepid builds.

About the switch to intrepid builds:
                              http://groups.google.com/group/amaro...2b3d96a8?hl=en

Comment

Not sure if I should be posting here or starting a new topic but...

KDE-neon works perfectly for me know except that kmail consistently complains that:

"The process for the imap://my.mail.server protocol died unexpectedly."

I can't get mail at all, despite the fact that everything else about kontact and kmail seems to be working. I've tried deleting the kmailrc files, to start from scratch, but it doesn't make any difference.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                                X