This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jaunty Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.2

I've never tried doing a package build ... would you be able to point to a how-to doc for this Rog131?
    I have send a query to the kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com.
    What's Up, Doc ?

and Scott Kitterman told that:
    On Thursday 04 December 2008 09:47, Sam Rog wrote:
    > There are source packages for the KDE 4.1.80 kdebase-workspace-bin,
    > kdebase-workspace-data, etc... in the repositories for the Jaunty but not
    > the binaries.Is there glitch in the package build system or am i too hasty

You are too hasty. The package is in binary New.

Questions like this are a strong indication that you should not be running the
    development release at this point. It is most certainly not suitable for
    general users. The Kubuntu member's experimental PPA has 4.1.80 packages for
    Intrepid. Ironically, if you'd stayed with Intrepid and used that, you'd
    have those packages available to you.

Scott K

Package build: > FAQ: Installing from source

Shortly

You will need (packages):
    - build-essential
    - fakeroot
    - dpkg-dev

and from the Ubuntu packages:
    kdebase-workspace_4.1.80-0ubuntu1.diff.gz
    kdebase-workspace_4.1.80-0ubuntu1_i386.changes
    kdebase-workspace_4.1.80-0ubuntu1.dsc

You will also need (quote from the debian control file):
    Build-Depends: cdbs (>= 0.4.51), debhelper (>= 6), quilt, cmake (>= 2.6.2),
    kdelibs5-dev (>= 4:4.1.80), libphonon-dev (>= 4:4.2.80),
    libbluetooth-dev, libcaptury-dev, libdbus-1-dev, libnm-util-dev, network-manager-dev,
    libpam0g-dev, libqimageblitz-dev (>= 1:0.0.4-2), libraw1394-dev, libsensors-dev,
    libstrigiqtdbusclient-dev (>= 0.5.8-2), libusb-dev, libxkbfile-dev,
    libxcomposite-dev, libxdamage-dev, libxfixes-dev, libxklavier12-dev,
    libxrandr-dev, libxrender-dev, libxxf86misc-dev,
    libsmbclient-dev, libxcb1-dev, libxine-dev, libstreamanalyzer-dev,
    libfontconfig-dev, libglu1-mesa-dev, sip4,
    libsm-dev, libxcursor-dev, libxft-dev, libxtst-dev, libqt4-opengl-dev,
    libxinerama-dev, libxss-dev, libck-connector-dev, libplasma-dev (>= 4:4.1.80),
    python-kde4-dev (>= 4:4.1.80), python-qt4-dev, sip4
    In the same folder where .diff.gz, .changes and .dsc are:
    Code:
    dpkg-source -x kdebase-workspace_4.1.80-0ubuntu1.dsc
    This will make a kdebase-workspace-4.1.80 folder. cd there and:
    Code:
    dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot
    => a bunc of .deb packages
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks Rog, much appreciated. Will have a interesting weekend playing with that.

And a big "hmmmppphh" to Scott Kitterman - I'm not using this for my work desktop or anything, just interested in expanding my skills and knowledge and perhaps contributing some bug reports. We all need to stretch ourselves on a regular basis

Comment

Yesterdays updates took care of my "black screen".

Printing works again

kwin is very fast

Adding widgets (plasmoids) to the desktop can crash plasma.
        You have to drag and drop.

Lancelot, weatherforcast, lunar, quickaccess and a few others are gone, so is kate and msn for kopete, and I suppose some other stuff. I suppose they will come back
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Lancelot, weatherforcast, lunar, quickaccess and a few others are gone, so is kate and msn for kopete, and I suppose some other stuff. I suppose they will come back
          Yes - they will:

At the moment kdeplasma-addons /1/ is still 4.1.2 for the Jaunty. So you could wait or use the Intrepid packages > KDE 4.2 Beta 1 released:

- adding a PPA repository kubuntu-experimental for the intrepid
          - updating package database
          - upgrading (installing) kdeplasma-addons and kdeplasma-addons-data, nothing more.
          - disabling kubuntu-experimental repository.

=> More plasmoids...

Kate is in the Jaunty repositories.

/1/ kdeplasma-addons
          plasmoids for KDE 4 Plasma - main package

Comment

Okay, okay... I suppose my 8.10 + kde-nightly system *is* getting way too stable; I'm upgrading now.
            Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Upgrade went smoothly (thanks for the note about the plasma addons, Rog131).

I had an ear-piercing squeek from my speakers for about half a second when the system was booting... I'll have to see if that's persistent.

I noticed that I didn't have any icons on the KDM screen... I'll have to figure out why - seems like a problem I've either fixed before or seen mentioned here.
              Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Weird... I get that piercing high-pitched nails-on-chalkboard sound-blip every reboot now - about the time it says "Loading AppArmor". :\

Found another new issue too.... The first time I went to run VMware, it warned me that it needed to be re-installed for the kernel... then it just let me click a button and did it all by itself!

That part was great.

The part that's not so great is that it completely broke networking. I think it's defaulting traffic through one of its virtual interfaces or something. I have to "sudo /etcr/init.d/vmware stop" then "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" to reconnect to the internet. :\

I tried removing/reinstalling vmware workstation... but no dice. I also replaced network-manager-kde with wicd, to see if the problem was somehow related to me playing in the managers interface earlier today, but no dice. My /etc/network/interfaces file doesn't appear to be changed. :\

Maybe I'll try removing vmware again and make sure that all the /etc/vmware configs are gone this time....

Comment

*sigh*... no, vmware still breaks networking.

Unless I have a brainstorm befroe then, I guess I'll probably do a clean install when alpha 2 comes out, and see if the problem persists, before filing a bugs with VMware and/or Kubuntu. Oh well, the install CDs need testing too.

Comment

Worked around the vmnet interface problem by disabling NAT for it.

Noticed another bug: NFS lockd is broken - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/306343

Comment

KDE 4.2 beta2

The repositories are updating to the 4.1.85.

> Jaunty-changes -- Jaunty Jackalope archive upload notification list
                      [ubuntu/jaunty] kde4libs 4:4.1.85-0ubuntu1 (Accepted) Harald Sitter
                      [ubuntu/jaunty] kdebase-runtime 4:4.1.85-0ubuntu1 (Accepted) Harald Sitter
                      [ubuntu/jaunty] kdepimlibs 4:4.1.85-0ubuntu1 (Accepted) Harald Sitter

> KDE 4.2 Beta 2 Release Announcement
                      KDE 4.2 Beta 2 Provides First Look at Upcoming User Experience

KDE Commmunity Ships Second Beta Release of KDE 4.2, Inviting Community to Test and Report Bugs.

December 16, 2008. The KDE Community today announced the immediate availability of "Canaria", (a.k.a KDE 4.2 Beta 2), the second testing release of the new KDE 4.2 desktop. Canaria is aimed at testers and reviewers. It should provide a solid ground to report bugs that need to be tackled before KDE 4.2.0 is released. Reviewers can use this beta to get a first look at the upcoming KDE 4.2 desktop which provides significant improvements all over the desktop and applications.
                      With 828 bugs closed in the past week, the KDE community is now in bugfixing mode in order to provide a smooth KDE 4.2.0 to end users in January.

Comment

Alpha-2

> Jaunty Alpha 2 released
                        Welcome to Jaunty Jackalope Alpha-2, which will in time become Ubuntu 9.04.

Pre-releases of Jaunty are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a stable
                        system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even
                        frequent breakage. They are, however, recommended for Ubuntu developers and
                        those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.

Alpha 2 is the second in a series of milestone CD images that will be
                        released throughout the Jaunty development cycle. The Alpha images are
                        known to be reasonably free of showstopper CD build or installer bugs, while
                        representing a very recent snapshot of Jaunty. You can download it here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/jaunty/alpha-2/ (Ubuntu)
                        http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...aunty/alpha-2/ (Kubuntu)
                        http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/re...aunty/alpha-2/ (Xubuntu)

See http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mirrors for a list of mirrors.

Alpha 2 includes a number of software updates that are ready for large-scale
                        testing. Please refer to http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/jaunty/alpha2 for
                        information on changes in Ubuntu.

This is quite an early set of images, so you should expect some bugs...

> JauntyJackalope/TechnicalOverview
                        This is still an alpha release. Do not install it on production machines. The final stable version will be released on April 23rd, 2009.

New Features in Jaunty

X.Org server 1.6

The latest X.Org server, version 1.6, is available in Jaunty. In the short term, this will again cause increased instability for some users while the video drivers catch up.

Linux kernel 2.6.28

Alpha 2 includes the 2.6.28-3.4 kernel based on 2.6.28-rc8.

Known Issues

As is to be expected at this stage of the release process, there are several known bugs that users are likely to run into with Jaunty Alpha 2. We have documented them here for your convenience along with any known workarounds, so that you don't need to spend time reporting these bugs again:
                        • A new XServer, version 1.6, is included in Alpha-2. The binary proprietary drivers -fglrx and -nvidia are not yet supported for this server and will exhibit various serious issues if run against it. Users of these drivers are encouraged to wait or to switch to the corresponding open source drivers (-ati and -nv respectively) in the meantime.
                        • While the user-space component of the EXPERIMENTAL nouveau X driver is available in Alpha-2 universe, the kernel modules this driver requires to work are not yet available. The kernel modules should be uploaded soon after Alpha-2.
                        • Users of Intel i845 or i865 video chipsets are unable to load X, getting an error message of "Fatal server error: Couldn't bind memory for BO front buffer". Users on these systems are advised to wait for a resolution to this bug before upgrading.
                        • The OEM mode on Kubuntu images fails after reboot in Jaunty Alpha 2. Investigation of this issue is ongoing.
                        • Choosing the "encrypt home" option on the Ubuntu server or alternate CD will cause the installation to fail at user setup time. As a workaround, you can set up an encrypted home for your user after install using the steps described in https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/309541.
                        • Manual partitioning doesn't work with the Kubuntu desktop CD in Jaunty Alpha 2, and with the Ubuntu desktop CD you will not be able to edit partitions as part of manual partitioning. As a workaround, you can install using one of the automatic partitioning options if appropriate, or else you can install using the alternate CD instead.
                        • Installation to RAID from the alternate and server CDs fails with an error that no devices are marked for Linux RAID autodetect. Investigation of this issue is ongoing.
                        • Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is now disabled, to reduce issues experienced by users who accidentally trigger the key combo. Users who do want this function can enable it via the DontZap option in xorg.conf. A GUI tool to simplify setting xorg.conf options is under development and will be available in a later Alpha release.
                        Note
                        > Enable the ctrl-alt-backspace combination

> JauntyJackalope/Alpha2/Kubuntu
                        Introduction

Jaunty Jackalope will in time become Kubuntu 9.04.

The focus for 9.04 for the Kubuntu community will be delivering a clean polished user friendly KDE4 Desktop. The plan is to continue migrating much of our existing Kubuntu software to KDE4 offering a smooth out-of-the-gates KDE 4 interface. Jaunty is the first dazzling steps into the future of desktops with innovation not seen anywhere else.

Alpha 2, the second in a series of testing CD images that will be released throughout this cycle, represents the very latest snapshot of Jaunty Jackalope. The pre-release images are known to be reasonably free of major undocumented CD-build or installer bugs, however they are not recommended for use in stable environments. These releases will be for those who are developing, documenting, and testing...

New or Improved In Alpha 2

Everything!!

The Jaunty Jackalope Alpha 2 CD release brings with it a brand new desktop as well as many new fixes and applications...

Known Issues
                        • Manual partitioning on Live CD installs is broken - Don't do it.
                        • OEM Install mode is broken on the Live CDs
                        • Amarok is still Amarok 1 (Getting Amarok 2 into Jaunty is planned, but depends on MySQL 5.1 getting in first)
                        • Amarok, Kmail, Kontact, and Konversation are not on the CD due to space constraints (They are all available through the standard repositories)
                        • No IRC client on the CD - Due to space constraints the plan is to have no KDE3 applications on the CD by release. We are currently evaluating alternatives to Konversation since a KDE4 port of Konversation is not expected to be ready for Jaunty)

Note
                        You could use the Amarok 2 from the PPA repository (kubuntu-members-kde4, intrepid) > Amarok 2.0 released.

Comment

Plans / Blueprints (part II)

Documentation

> Kubuntu Jaunty documentation >> full specification
                          The current state of Kubuntu documentation is far from good. We need to revamp kubuntu-docs and get it back up to speed where it was about a year ago...

Gaps

> Kubuntu Jaunty Gap Analysis >> full specification
                          What are we missing compared to KDE 3 and Ubuntu Desktop?...

Packages

> Kubuntu Jaunty KDE Packaging >> full specification
                          - Akonadi
                          - kdesudo
                          - Qt 4.5 and Konqueror+kdewebkit by default
                          > KDEWebKit - current situation and future
                          > Topic: Webkit (earlier - Intrepid)

Default package manager

> Kubuntu Jaunty Package Manager >> full specification
                          Use KPackageKit as the package manager for Kubuntu.
                          > Topic: Adept getting the boot(?)

Setup

> Kubuntu Jaunty Setup >> fullspecification
                          - Powerdevil will replace guidance-power-manager as the power manager

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
                            If they would simply provide a one-click capability to see the entire package list, it would be fine to keep it, IMO. But as it is today, it's just a fancy way to run updates, for me. Who needs a package manager that doesn't show the packages? :P

Comment

Yes, I read where Adept Manager was given the Heave Ho! As long as it is replaced with a friendly, usable and thorough manager, I'm fine with it. If it turns out worse, then they need to re-evaluate their decision, IMO.

Comment

Does this also mean that Synaptic will be going as well?
                                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X