X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jaunty Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.2

Ah, Neon? Well that explains it.
    My neon says the same thing

I upgraded a test intrepid to jaunty as well and get my above.

This is fun all over over again

Edit. After todays update:
    Kate? gone.

Lancelot? Gone

Quicklaunch folder? Gone

Taskbar now has 2+ rows.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Yo Rog, I got the JJ alternate iso and started an install in a v-box. Al l went well till I got to the "select and install packages" and then it choked I can get to a command line and startx gives a " -bash: startx: command not found" any way outa this do you think?

I did a dist upgrade from HH to II and I just ordered a II cd so I guess I'll wait for the new cd and do another dist upgrade if I can't get this way to work. I only get 17 gigs every 30 days with my satellite isp and I'm real close now. Thanx for any help and if not, because this is an alpha, no problem. Off to my midnight job now.
      Being able to access the internet whilst answering a call of nature was 'one of life's most liberating experiences.'  Vic Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by bsoderror
        Yo Rog, I got the JJ alternate iso and started an install in a v-box. Al l went well till I got to the "select and install packages" and then it choked I can get to a command line and startx gives a " -bash: startx: command not found" any way outa this do you think?
        I ran into the same problem. I ended up chrooting into the partition (although I was able to boot to a command line like you) and then installed kubuntu-desktop. I received a message that libplasma2 and libplasma3 were broken. It did give me an option to install it without kate, kdeplasma-addons, and plasma-quickaccess and it left libplasma2 broken. This gave me the KDE desktop but I think that I am still missing other packages but I have no way to confirm it. It has been stable so far though. Hardware Drivers failed on me, but I was still able to install b43-fwcutter and nvida-glx-177 manually without issue. I had an empty xorg.conf file and reconfiguring it still gave me an incomplete file (did that in the one of the prior version's alpha too but was fixed before the final release). I ended up cheating and copied my xorg.conf from one of my other linux partitions.

I just downloaded Intrepid so I am going to install it and upgrade to Jaunty.

Comment

HPLIP seems to be broken as well.

At least it doesn't see my HP laserjet 1600 and won't see it with a manual set up either.
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Ahhhh, finally caught up to you guys. Did a new install of II and a dist upgrade to JJ wooHoo!

Originally posted by Fintan
            Ah, Neon? Well that explains it.
            My neon says the same thing

I upgraded a test intrepid to jaunty as well and get my above.

This is fun all over over again

Edit. After todays update:
            Kate? gone.

Lancelot? Gone

Quicklaunch folder? Gone

Taskbar now has 2+ rows.

Being able to access the internet whilst answering a call of nature was 'one of life's most liberating experiences.'  Vic Hayes

Comment

Please excuse the dumb question, but how does one update from Intrepid to Jaunty? I have a stock intrepid install I'd like to dist upgrade but I can't find out where the jaunty repos are?

Thanks - Lindsay

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw
                Please excuse the dumb question, but how does one update from Intrepid to Jaunty? I have a stock intrepid install I'd like to dist upgrade but I can't find out where the jaunty repos are?

Thanks - Lindsay
                Hopefully you mean and EXTRA Intrepid install. Jaunty has many things lacking and while stable for an alpha not good enough yet for day to day use. I think Rog131 posted this link, I just copied it but it'll tell you what to do, easy as pie. I did have to install update-manager as I didn't have that on my system, do what it says and let her dig. https://wiki.kubuntu.org/JauntyJacka...hnicalOverview

Comment

Originally posted by bsoderror
                  Hopefully you mean and EXTRA Intrepid install. Jaunty has many things lacking and while stable for an alpha not good enough yet for day to day use. I think Rog131 posted this link, I just copied it but it'll tell you what to do, easy as pie. I did have to install update-manager as I didn't have that on my system, do what it says and let her dig. https://wiki.kubuntu.org/JauntyJacka...hnicalOverview
                  Oh yeah! I resized my exiting Intrepid partition to add a test one (side not - Ubuntu makes that really easy now - very impressed).

I actually got the Jaunty CD install to work - once I realised I had to burn it to a DVD I got the "Install Step" failed error, same as on VirtualBox, but skipped to the grub step, which got me a booting system with a command prompt. Then I did a
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
                  and that got me a working desktop, if somewhat broken

Then I overwrote it with Intrepid and tried the dist-update, worked a charm and have a working system with some plasma issues missing libPlasma2 in the dependancies.

Thanks - Lindsay

Comment

KDE 4.2 Beta 1 - any news?
                    Jonathan Riddell Mon Dec 1 13:50:19 GMT 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 02:02:16PM +0100, Herv?? Fache wrote:
                    > Dear devs,
                    >
                    > There is no mention of KDE 4.2 Beta 1 on the Kubuntu.org website.
                    > Also, I was under the impression that packages for 8.10 would become
                    > available.
                    >
                    > Should I conclude that creating such packages is a challenge and that
                    > you're blocking the website update until such packages are available?
                    >
                    > Could you confirm/infirm whether such packages _will_ become available
                    > for 8.10? I am waiting for a number of regression corrections,
                    > especially in Kate and Gwenview (bugs reported)...

We're a bit short of packaging ninjas this week so it's been late in
                    getting done.

Packages are being uploaded to Jaunty starting today and will be
                    backported to 8.10 over the next couple of days.

Jonathan
                    and...

Jaunty-changes -- Jaunty Jackalope archive upload notification list - December
                    [ubuntu/jaunty] kde4libs 4:4.1.80-0ubuntu1 (Accepted) Harald Sitter
                    [ubuntu/jaunty] kdepimlibs 4:4.1.80-0ubuntu1 (Accepted) Harald Sitter
                    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hi, I'm trying to install in my V-Box the alternate-i386 kubuntu 9.04 alpha 1 and I encountered some problems with the ubuntu mirror address, what address I have to put there?

And in the successive pass, what folder should I select?

Thanks

Francesco

Comment

Plasma won't load with JJ.

Aftre a recent update (I think yesterday) loging into plasma does not complete.

I get a "HPLIP error, cannot find systray, will now exit" message and a black screen.

The same applies to booting into recovery mode (root)

Has anyone else seen this?
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Here plasma is dying to the white screen.

Alt + F2 and starting konsole and giving a command:
                          Code:
                          plasma
                          will tell:
                          plasma: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK6Plasma6Corona20containmentForScreenEi
                          plasma(8175): Communication problem with "plasma" , it probably crashed.
                          Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "
                          libkdeinit4_plasma.so is part of the kdebase-workspace-bin and it is still KDE 4.1.73. Is this version mismatch problem ?

I did have same kind of problem when i upgraded from the Intrepid (KDE 4.1.3) to the Jaunty (KDE 4.1.73) -> White Screen of Death. Then waiting and upgrading all KDE packages to the same version solved that. Hoping fo the best...

Comment

Black Screen / No Video Signal

After yesterdays (3.12) updates JJ was starting to the black screen and monitor did show "No Video Signal" message.

Fix was: Grub -> recovery mode -> xfix, Try to auto repair graphic problem. Writing new xorg.conf. There aren't many many lines in the xorg.conf:
                            Code:
                            Section "Device"
                            	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
                            EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                            	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
                            EndSection

Section "Screen"
                            	Identifier	"Default Screen"
                            	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
                            	Device		"Configured Video Device"
                            EndSection

White Screen of Death

Plasma desktop is crashing to the white screen. Checking Ubuntu Packages /1/. There is sources for the kdebase-workspace-bin 4.1.80 but binaries are for the 4.1.73 . Downloading sources (kdebase-workspace) and compiling them - no problems. Installing selfmade deb's:
                            kdebase-workspace-dev libkwineffects1 libkdecorations4
                            kdebase-workspace-libs4+5 kde-window-manager kdebase-workspace-bin
                            kdebase-workspace-data klipper ksysguard systemsettings kdebase-workspace
                            kdebase-workspace-wallpapers kdm ksysguardd python-plasma
                            Log out - log in, and now there is a new shiny KDE 4.2 beta-1 desktop .

/1/ http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Comment

I've never tried doing a package build ... would you be able to point to a how-to doc for this Rog131?

Thanks - Lindsay

Comment

After yesterdays update:
                                recovery mode->xfix and reboot:

login sound, black screen, hplip error, software updates message.

alt+F2->terminal->plasma gives:
                                fintan2@fintanws2:~$ plasma
                                <unknown program name>(6728)/ checkComposite: Plasma has an argb visual 0x88548e8 56623105
                                <unknown program name>(6728)/ checkComposite: Plasma can use COMPOSITE for effects on 0x884deb8
                                plasma(6729) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "findServiceByDesktopPath: not found"
                                plasma(6729) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "findServiceByDesktopPath: not found"
                                QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout
                                plasma(6729) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/fintan2/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/.desktop not found"
                                plasma(6729) Solid::Control::ManagerBasePrivate::loadBackend: Backend loaded: "HAL-Energieverwaltung"
                                QFSFileEngine:pen: No file name specified
                                QFSFileEngine:pen: No file name specified
                                Object::connect: Attempt to bind non-signal TaskManager::TaskGroup::editRequest()
                                Couldn't resolve property: linearGradient3229
                                QGraphicsLayout::addChildLayout: layout already has a parent
                                QObject::connect: Cannot connect KAction::triggered() to (null)::renameSelectedIcon()
                                Object::connect: No such signal DesktopView::zoom(Plasma::Containment*,Plasma::Zoo mDirection)
                                Object::connect: (receiver name: 'Qt-subapplication')
                                plasma: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK6Plasma6Corona20containmentForScreenEi
                                plasma(6728): Communication problem with "plasma" , it probably crashed.
                                Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

fintan2@fintanws2:~$
                                alt+F2->terminal->kwin gives:
                                fintan2@fintanws2:~$ kwin
                                KWin: Manager-Auswahl nicht möglich. Läuft ein anderer Fenstermanager? (Versuchen Sie es mit --replace)
                                fintan2@fintanws2:~$ kwin --replace
                                kwin(6818) KDecorationPlugins::loadPlugin: kwin : path "/usr/lib/kde4/kwin3_ozone.so" for "kwin3_ozone"
                                kwin: X Error (error: <unknown>[DAMAGE+0], request: XDamageDestroy[DAMAGE+2], resource: 0x36004bc)
                                kwin: X Error (error: <unknown>[DAMAGE+0], request: XDamageDestroy[DAMAGE+2], resource: 0x3600771)
                                Hmmm...
                                4 GB Ram
                                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                                X