X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Unable to get network to work

Hi,

I appear to be unable to setup my network in any shape or form. I can not ping my router. I am however able to ping localhost/127.0.0.1 as well as my static IP address which I have setup in /etc/network/interfaces. At the moment I would just like to be able to ping my router (I am sure if i can get it up to that point getting an internet connection should be easier?) The following is what I have setup thus far:

My Router's IP is 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 , DHCP is enabled (pretty much running factory defaults at the moment)
    I am running a p5n32-E SLI motherboard (using on-board ethernet cards, Nforce i believe)

My /etc/network/interfaces file contains the following:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    #iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.1.25
     netmask 255.255.255.0
     network 192.168.1.0
     broadcast 192.168.1.255
     gateway 192.168.1.1
    My /etc/resolv.conf contains the following:
    Code:
    nameserver 192.168.1.1
    ifconfig returns the following:
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1a:92:5b:88:4b
    inet addr:192.168.1.25 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:2232 (2.2 KB)
    Interrupt:214 Base address:0x6000

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1a:92:5b:97:23
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
    Interrupt:213 Base address:0xe000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:33 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:33 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:2212 (2.2 KB) TX bytes:2212 (2.2 KB)
    Route returns the following:
    Code:
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination  Gateway    Genmask    Flags Metric Ref  Use Iface
    default    192.168.1.1  255.255.255.0 UG  0   0    0 eth0
    192.168.1.0  *       255.255.255.0 U  0   0    0 eth0
    link-local   *       255.255.0.0  U  1000 0    0 eth0
    I have scoured the internet for a solution but have found none which actually solve the problem, so I have come to the conclusion that this problem is way over my head. The problem also appeared in Kubuntu 8.04 and i figured i would just wait it out (obviously the problem still persists). I should probably mention that i have also swapped routers (Currently a D-Link DSL-2740B), which didn't make any difference what so ever. Since I am able to post this from Windows XP on the same PC... I guess it is safe to say I can rule out the fact that the network card isn't working. I also removed KNetworkManager as it was messing me around more than it was worth. It didn't allow me to setup static IP addresses. DHCP also failed to obtain any DHCP offers (this was also the case when i set it up manually). I am completely at a loss as to why this is turning out to be so hard?

So i guess there is more wrong than just the configuration in this instance (unless i am missing something here). With the above configured the following commands return the following information:

ip link show eth0 returned this:
    2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:1a:92:5b:88:4b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    ip neigh returned the following:
    192.168.1.1 dev eth0 FAILED
    (as if i didnt see that one coming, since i can't ping the router at all and the state being unknown).

Also i don't know if this is significant but lspci had the following to say:
    00:11.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)
    00:12.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Unable to get network to work

have you try to setup eth0 via the command line ?!
    proc:Intel Pentium Dual&nbsp; CPU&nbsp; E2220&nbsp; @ 2.40GHz Cash Size 1024KB<br />hdd:Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3GB/s 500GB<br />vc:Nvidia Zotac 8600 GT AMP edition 256MB GDDR3<br />ram:1 block Kingston 1GB DDR2/667 1 block JetRAM 1GB DDR2/667 Dual Channel mode<br />Fully Compatible with Kubuntu 8.1 + KDE 4.1.2 <br />Tested &amp; Appro

Comment

Yep I have, but unfortunately that didn't really give me a result either. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Comment

infact ... nope i don't have ideas i have problem with the static ip setup via knetworkmanager but saw that there is some kind of bug in it i try to setup it via interfaces file but this dont work too and when i setup it via the regular way with the command line
        ifconfig eth0 xx.xx.xx.xx netmask xx.xx.xx.xx
        route add default gw xx.xx.xx.xx
        echo "nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx" >> /etc/resolv.conf

everything was fine but i thing there was no problem with dhtcp settings ... i dont realy know why you can't use it
        proc:Intel Pentium Dual&nbsp; CPU&nbsp; E2220&nbsp; @ 2.40GHz Cash Size 1024KB<br />hdd:Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3GB/s 500GB<br />vc:Nvidia Zotac 8600 GT AMP edition 256MB GDDR3<br />ram:1 block Kingston 1GB DDR2/667 1 block JetRAM 1GB DDR2/667 Dual Channel mode<br />Fully Compatible with Kubuntu 8.1 + KDE 4.1.2 <br />Tested &amp; Appro

Comment

Yes I have to admit, the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that DHCP doesn't work at all. That is also the reason I tried a static IP setup (incase my router was having a fit). Is there any chance this could be a driver related issue?

I can also try and install kubuntu on one of my older laptops and see if I can ping the router from a different setup. I think I will also start from scratch on my desktop pc and lean towards the command line considering you had more success doing things that way.

We will have to see how all of that turns out

Comment

Originally posted by vinnig
            Yes I have to admit, the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that DHCP doesn't work at all.
            Have to politely disagree with you here. My router (Linksys WRT54G) has DHCP enabled and I have no problems connecting using either my wired or my wireless configurations.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

See:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810

Note the part about knetworkmanager and static IP addresses ...

Comment

Snowhog,

I am sure it does work for you and i am sure DHCP will most likely work on the laptop I will install it on later tonight. What i am saying however, is that DHCP is not working on my desktop PC for whatever reason that may be. I obviously want my network to work on my desktop, not my laptop though . I am fairly new to linux so any additional help you can provide me to get this to work would be absolutely awesome. I might be doing something wrong here in my infinite stupidity.

Comment

Hi Dibl,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have noticed that KNetworkManager sometimes fails for connections that require static IP addresses. My problem however persists even when attempting to use DHCP, hence why I am asking for help

Comment

If you can enter your router setup, note the routers identified DNS IPs. The entries in /etc/resolv.conf should be the same, as KNetworkManager gets these NDS IPs from the router.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the help everybody. I managed to solve this by replacing my network card. DHCP as well as manual configuration is working for me now .

Comment

Working...
                      X