This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

silverlight/moonlight plugin

Noticed that OpenSuse and Firefox 3.0 is for the 1st time offering moonlight plugin for the firefox 3. The Silverlight streaming video (ms) is the plugin for many subcription services such as MLB.TV and also in August the Olympics will be webcast in silverlight. Moonlight is the Linux equivalent. The video using OpenSuse is currently inferior to ms silverlight but its not bad. Since I otherwise have a lot of probems with OpenSuse KDE 4 and prefer Kubuntu KDE 3.5.9 please look into this for the good guys.

Re: silverlight/moonlight plugin

Originally posted by crossface
    Noticed that OpenSuse and Firefox 3.0 is for the 1st time offering moonlight plugin for the firefox 3. The Silverlight streaming video (ms) is the plugin for many subcription services such as MLB.TV and also in August the Olympics will be webcast in silverlight. Moonlight is the Linux equivalent. The video using OpenSuse is currently inferior to ms silverlight but its not bad. Since I otherwise have a lot of probems with OpenSuse KDE 4 and prefer Kubuntu KDE 3.5.9 please look into this for the good guys.
    I am watching the Winter Olympics over NBC's streaming video service using the Moonlight 2.99 plugin for Firefox.

It runs nicely.

NBC requires that you are a cable customer if you want to access their live or recent replay videos. (I am, so I was required to sign in with my cable provider to be eligible to watch the streaming videos).

You may quibble with the restrictions, but kudos must be given to Novell's Moonlight project in bringing Moonlight 2.99 to readiness in time for the Olympics.

The plugin can be downloaded from:

http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/prerelease.aspx

And, duh, you don't watch it on your computer. You buy a cable that runs from the video output of your computer (you have a laptop, right?) to your TV (an HDI cable for newer computers or an S-video cable/audio cord for you dinosaurs) and then watch over your big screen. Only takes a quick trip to your electronics store to find the cables...

We only rarely watch regular TV anymore. It's Hulu or other online content, piped through the TV as described, nearly exclusively.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. If you are watching online TV, you may want to learn about QOS (Quality of Service) filters in your router. You can give priority to certain net services (such as Hulu or NBC streaming) if you don't want to be interrupted by your kids whenever they are playing on the Internet...

(This is critical for VOIP applications, of course).

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
    X