This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

packaging system database problem

I am a 4 day newbie. I can't load anything new. I get the (Another process is using the packaging system database). It will ask if I want to resolve but it will not let me. Help please.

Comment

Re: packaging system database problem

Originally posted by sjsylvester

I am a 4 day newbie. I can't load anything new. I get the (Another process is using the packaging system database). It will ask if I want to resolve but it will not let me. Help please.
      @sjsylvester, we have a marvelous search capability on this forum, which will provide you solutions for problems that other new users have encountered. For example, I entered "another process" into the search window, and here is what I found:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090848.0

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088842.0

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091807.0

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091400.0

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091165.0

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090531.0

And, btw, WELCOME!

Comment

Kubuntu Feisty 7.04 won't shut down

This may not be a new tip, but it took me days to find it buried in many threads.

When selecting shutdown or restart, the system gets to the last Kubuntu splash screen and cycles between the splash screen and a blank screen. The only way to turn off the machine is hold in the power button.

I found these 2 alterations works for me:

ALTERATION 1:

In Konqueror edit the following (highlight file - actions - edit as root) :

/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc

The section that starts with : [X-*-Core]

Add this following line to the end of this section:

TerminateServer=True

Save the file.

(Be careful the upper case letters are required I think)

ALTERATION 2:

Root mode konqueror again

/boot/grub/menu.lst

Add this following line to the end of the first Kernel line:

apm=power-off

(add a space before the addition)

(For some reason it took a couple of reboots for these to stick - but works perfectly now)

The machine this works on is:
        Asrock 775Dual VSTA with an Intel E4300 and 2x 1gb sticks 800mhz DDR2 ram with
        an Nvidia 8600GT video card

Comment

Re: Useful Tips for newbies go here

personally I use
          Code:
           sudo shutdown -P now
          or
          Code:
           sudo shutdown -r now
          -r being restart.
          [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

The shutdown commands should work. As should

sudo halt
            or
            sudo init 0

sjsylvesters' problem seems to be that when he tries to install somthing he is denied because adept package manager is already running.

sj: if you can't see the offending process on the taskbar or anywhere else try pressing ctrl-escape (together) this will open the process manager. Locate a process named, for example adept and press the Kill button. Try again. there is more that can be done if this doesn't work but for now...

Holding in the power key or pulling the plug is rarely (although, sadly, sometimes) necessary. It's a bit like driving a car into a wall and then running away. bring the car to a halt, turn off the engine and lock it up.
            The OS needs time to stop all running processes and services and to make sure that all data has been synced (written) before power is removed from the system.

on the rare occasion that you do have to 'pull the plug' just be glad that you remembered computing rule No. 1 Backup - Backup - Backup

You did, didn't you?

Comment

i would suggest http://www.ubuntugeek.com for more ubuntu tutorials this will really help more users these tutorials will work for kubuntu also

Comment

This is nery useful information for me. I'm new comer in this kind of stuff. Thanks a lot. Looking foward for other stuff similar like this

Comment

Hi, I installed the alternate kubuntu 8.4 from an iso disk I downloaded myself and it works better on the old desktop than the windows 98 it replaced. Slow, but not so bad as you might expect. I read about people having problems with sound but since my system has busted speakers, I wouldn't know. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to go online immediately without tweaking anything; something I had never experienced with a windows product. I have an allergy to command-line anything, so I wanted something that does what I want right out of the box. I fell in love with Kubuntu and have been happily playing with it ever since. My only issue at the moment is Konqueror's inability to work with Hotmail. You see I long ago gave up using Outlook or my Intranet Provider's mail server; too many virus and other security problems. Can someone suggest a GUI cure for my email problem? I can open my inbox but I can't open the emails inside. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by bareman_i69
                    ...Can someone suggest a GUI cure for my email problem? I can open my inbox but I can't open the emails inside. Thanks for your time.
                    K Menu -> Applications -> Add/Remove Programs...

Enter your password when prompted

Internet

Firefox Web Browser (or just search for it and install it)

Then go back to K Menu and it should be there in Applications -> Internet

Comment

hey guys i am new to this forum. and i would like to have a issue solved i want to know how can i boot in my laptop i am not well and good in computers so can someone guide me so that i can do this very easiy. thank in advance who is helping me to do that
                      __________________________________________________ ____
                      Houston Best Florist loans with no credit check pisos vilafranca download iPhone ringtones

Comment

hey guys i am new to this forum. and i would like to have a issue solved i want to know how can i boot in my laptop i am not well and good in computers so can someone guide me so that i can do this very easiy. thank in advance who is helping me to do that
                        Welcome abilash.
                        First, are you wanting to install Kubuntu on your laptop or do you just want to try out the Live CD for a while?
                        Also, some specs on your laptop will help for any issues that might come up.
                        &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

After almost a year of just asking every stupid problem on this forum I decided to become a semi useful member of this community.
                          What to do if you get (as I did) locked out of an adept?
                          The first thing that I learned was:
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get install name of program
                          to upgrade use this: [modified]
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get update
                          sudo apt-get upgrade
                          The best thing is to install synaptic which is same as adept only that is programed in GTK.
                          The other thing that you can do is:
                          Code:
                          sudo adept
                          Which forces Adept to start as an super user.

I hope this will help anyone.

BTW: How can I get my adept "unlocked". That's why I'm even writing this.
                          I mean I can continue t use Synaptic and sudo adept, but I would like to just normally use adept.
                          And the strangest thing I got locked out only from Adept manager, I can still get to add/remove normally. I can upgrade normally and all.
                          And It gets even stranger my Adept manager is in Slovene, but my update manager and add/remove are in English...
                          (If anyone wants to help me good, but as I said I don't really need it)
                          I&#39;m magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

Should be:

Code:
                            sudo apt-get update
                            sudo apt-get upgrade
                            and finally

Code:
                            kdesudo adept
                            And to unlock:

I cannot remember the exact place of the lock file, but it tells you anyway in the error message. Simply remove it and everything is back to normal
                            Code:
                            sudo rm /var/path_to_lock_file/lock_file
                            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks toad, I totally forgot to add apt-get to...
                              And I'll will try your approach to unlocking...
                              I&#39;m magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

When you write your first simple 'hello world'&#160; shell script, or c proggie, etc. most tutorials then just say 'run it'. So you type its name into console, and the console tells you that the file doesn't exist&#160; even though you've made it executable.

What they forget to tell you is that you need a full path for the command which you can get by preceding the program name with ./

Example:
                                wes@ubuntuww:$ ./myprog

Took me days to find this out, and I've been programming (in anything and everything but Linux) for 40 years!!

Comment

Working...
                                X