Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Useful Tips for newbies go here

1. Back To Top    #11
    hungrybeast

Re: Useful Tips for newbies go here

I didn't realize you were allowed to download linux isos without reading this guide first. It taught me to use the command line. It also demonstrates an install where some thought is actually required, unlike the kubuntu live install. Very humorous, as well.

http://www.linux.org/lessons/

2. Back To Top    #12
    Coolio10

My Guide To Prepare Before Installing Kubuntu

First be ready if you may have corrupted you system somehow by finding a bootable restore CD/DVD.

I reccommend UBCD4W(Ultimate Boot CD For Windows). This bootable cd contains many tools to fix or optimize a unbootable system and this cd also contains the Windows Recovery Console which contains the commands to fix the most common problems.

You can download UBCD4W from http://www.ubcd4win.com/
    After you download it follow the steps found here http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm

After you create the cd you should test it by inserting it into your main CD drive and restarting. While the computer is booting it should automatically display a blue screen and a menu, from the menu you can pick the recovery console. The most common comands used during corrupted system are:

• Chkdsk The /p switch runs Chkdsk even if the drive is not flagged as dirty. The /r switch locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. This switch implies /p. Chkdsk requires Autochk. Chkdsk automatically looks for Autochk.exe in the startup folder. If Chkdsk cannot find the file in the startup folder, it looks for the Windows 2000 Setup CD-ROM. If Chkdsk cannot find the installation CD-ROM, Chkdsk prompts the user for the location of Autochk.exe.

• Fixboot writes a new startup sector on the system partition.

• Fixmbr repairs the startup partition's master boot code. The variable device is an optional name that specifies the device that requires a new Master Boot Record. Omit this variable when the target is the startup device.

CHKDSK is usually needed when your mbr will still boot windows but windows will not start after the loading bar or after.

Fixboot/Fixmbr is when you either want to remove grub/kubuntu or your computer wont load any system.

From what ive heard fixboot is for xp and fixmbr is for versions on computers under xp. If one doesnt work try both.

UBCD4W also contains its actually part where it contains partitioning programs and defragmenting programs which are asked for kubuntu installation.

Hope this guide helps you who come to problems with your pc after kubuntu installation.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Tapd260

I have a friend who wants to install Linux on his computer. He's heard good things about it, and he wants it on his computer, but he's not very good with computers-- he's not sure which kind of computer he has, but he thinks it's a Dell. I couldn't just write down a URL and email it to him, because most of the online guides I saw were a little complicated, so I wrote him a guide in dumbed-down form. He was running Windows XP and wanted to dual-boot.
    Step 1: Go to http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/ubuntu-...sktop-i386.iso and download the file. This can take a few hours, but if you have a dial-up connection it's impossible. If you have a dial-up connection, or you want to buy the CD online, go to step 4. Otherwise, go to step 2.
    Step 2: Go to http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/d...orderV2RC1.msi and install the application. Put a writable CD into your CD-ROM drive. Writable CD's can be obtained from almost any office-supply store. Right-click on the .ISO file, and click Copy Image to CD. This will start the ISO Recorder Wizard.
    Step 3: Click Next until a progress bar appears. Wait for the CD drive to open. When it does, your CD is finished burning. Skip to step 13.
    Step 4: Go to http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/178.
    Step 5: Click the "add to cart" button at the bottom.
    Step 6: Click the "checkout" button.
    Step 7: Click the "continue" button.
    Step 8: Enter your information in the form.
    Step 9: Press continue.
    Step 10: Press continue.
    Step 11: Enter your credit card information.
    Step 12: Confirm your order.
    Step 13: Put the CD into your disk drive.
    Step 14: Turn your computer off and close the CD drive.
    Step 15: To set your computer so that it boots from CD: http://ice.he.net/~hedden//bootcd.html
    Step 16: Your computer will restart. It will start up from the CD, and you will be greeted with a screen. Tell it that you want to check the CD for error. If there are any errors, go back to step 1. If not, continue.
    Step 18: Press any key. Your computer will reboot. Tell it that you want to start up or install Kubuntu. Your computer will start up in Linux.
    Step 17: Once you have reached the desktop, double-click on the icon that says 'install.'
    Step 10: Tell it that your language is English,
    Step 11: The closest place to where you live,
    Step 12: That your keyboard is American English (assuming you live in America, otherwise try the keyboard of the country you're in),
    Step 13: What your name is, what you want your username and password to be, and a name for your computer.
    Step 14: Tell it that you want to manually edit the disk.
    Step 15: (this can get a bit complicated) Select /dev/hda1 from the menu at the bottom.
    Step 16: Select the "Resize" button and resize the green bar to half its original size. Press Enter. What you are doing here is resizing the windows half of your hard drive. Press OK.
    Step 17: There should be a grey block of free space to the right of the green Windows half of the hard drive. Select this block and click the "Create" Button. Set it to the filesystem of 'swap' and the size of 1 GB or 1000 MB. Press OK.
    Step 18: Select the grey block again, click "Create", and set the filesystem to "jfs." Press OK.
    Step 19: Press Next.
    Step 20: Accept the defaults and press Next.
    Step 21: This will take from 20-40 minutes. Wait until you see the "installation complete" screen, and then reboot your computer.
    Step 22: Linux should be succesfully installed on your computer!

This is specifically for people like me, who were Windows users who wanted to install Linux on their computer, but dual-boot so they could still run their applications.

4. Back To Top    #14
    fluffy

If you find yourself having using a terminal (or console) alot you should definitely install 'mc' (a midnight commander clone). It's great for getting around directories, editing files etc.

sudo apt-get install mc

Make sure you enable 'Lynx-like motion' in Options->Configuration then you can use the arrow keys to navigate.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Contributing Member
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 5th 2020
    Local Time
    03:37 PM

Hi All

Please check out the following site.
    It is Ubuntu Documentation site for the following
    Ubuntu Desktop Guide
    Kubuntu Desktop Guide
    Xubuntu Desktop Guide
    Extracts from the Official Ubuntu Book
    Installation Guide
    Server Guide
    Packing Guide

https://help.ubuntu.com/

The Guides are in both HTML and PDF formats

The sites will answer a lot questions about Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu

check the following link for TitleIndex - Community Ubuntu documentation
    A great place to check out some good documentation
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TitleIndex

Also in the forum you can do a search for the problem or answer that you seek.

Good Luck and please read about Ubuntu
    It makes better users out of us

Do not forget to ask for help, the more we all help the more we know
    it is the KEY to KNOWLEDGE

6. Back To Top    #16
    highwaykind

Newbie tip from the newbie ( who thinks the newbie section here is pretty advanced for a first time user.)

To install software hi KMenu ( formerly known as Start), click System and Adept Manager.
    Type in a keyword or the software name and hit install.

7. Back To Top    #17
    will_ i_am

every time I attempt to install anything in the console, I get this error:

E: Couldn't find package gstreamer0.8-lame

Please help.

Will I Am

8. Back To Top    #18
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 5th 2020
    Local Time
    06:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by will_ i_am
    every time I attempt to install anything in the console, I get this error:
    E: Couldn't find package gstreamer0.8-lame
    Most likely a repository problem, for 'gstreamer0.8-lame' you need to enable the 'multiverse' repository (note that is multiverse, not universe, but you may wish to enable 'universe' as well)

How to enable/edit repositories:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu

As a side note, which version of kubuntu are you using? If I recall correctly, 'gstreamer0.8-lame' packaged was used for MP3 playback in Breezy Badger (Kubuntu 5.10)...If you're using newer dapper (6.06) or edgy (6.10), check this page for how to enable mp3 support:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

9. Back To Top    #19
    Chauncey

Quote Originally Posted by highwaykind
    To install software hit KMenu ( formerly known as Start), click System and Adept Manager.
    Type in a keyword or the software name and hit install.
    Don't you mean "request install" then "apply changes" at the top?
    I'm dumb, so it takes explicit instructions for me to do anything right.
    (I can copy and paste from guides, but then I never learn anything)

10. Back To Top    #20
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 5th 2020
    Local Time
    06:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey
    Don't you mean "request install" then "apply changes" at the top?
    You got the steps right, I guess the the poster assumed familiarity with Adept installation procedure

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast