This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu install doesn't do anything?

Linux newbie here but I've got lots of *NIX experience. This probably will sound really dumb but here goes...

I've been trying to get Kubuntu 7.10 or 6.06.1 installed on several different x86 Desktop and notebook machines and have yet to have it install. Clearly I'm doing something wrong but I don't see what.

The isos were downloaded and burned with infrarecorder without incident.

The CDs boot both natively and in VMWare Workstation 6 and the menu is presented.

In all cases, when I navigate the menu to "Start or Install Kubuntu" or "Start Kubuntu in Safe Graphics Mode" and hit Enter to select it the CD spins and spins but the install never seems to progress beyond that point. The menu just sits there, no messages are displayed, and nothing seems to happen except the CD drive spinning away. I've waited over an hour for the screen to show *something* happening but it never does. If the CD is booted with no user interaction the countdown timer decrements from 30s to 0s and then nothing else ever happens.

When "Check CD for Defects" is selected the drive spins for a bit but nothing ever shows on-screen. Selecting "Memory Test" also shows nothing except the menu. No error or progress messages whatsoever.

So... what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Re: Kubuntu install doesn't do anything?

Sounds like you're having a rough time

Somebody else with more experience in this area may jump in here and give you a better suggestion, but I would recommend giving the Alternate CD a try.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Probably you are not burning the ISO at 4X speed. The ISO image uses extreme compression, and you can't burn it at whatever speed the burner would like to use.

Comment

Man, talking about compression: I had a one page report due today and saved it in the .odt format; realizing I wouldn't be able to open the paper from school (they only use M$ Word, without the .odt filter), I saved it again as a .doc. Looking at the 2 different sizes, the same, one page report in .odt format was 10K as compared to the .doc version at 105K...
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

The CDs were definitely burnt at a higher speed. I'll try again.

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

No question (so it would seem). It's
            the CD image. or
            the CD itself, or
            the CD burner.

As for CD speed of burning, lower quality CDs *may* require slower burning speeds.
            Also,
            The CD burning speed may be a function of the CD and the CD burner.
            Example: My Sony DRU810A will run down at 12x, but no slower.
            (fwiw, I use Verbatim CDs (and DVDs.), never (yet) had any burn problems in NERO or K3b.)

Hang in there: you'll see the way to make it go.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Woo Hoo!

I set Infrarecorder to record at 4x and, even though it still recored at 8x, it works!

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

"I set Infrarecorder to record at 4x and, even though it still recored at 8x ...""

That's an example of your CD recorder making it's own adjustments. (As I said, my Sony would bump that 4x up to 12x; it won't do 8x, not, anyway, using the Verbatims I use).

Glad you broke it loose! Credit goes, of course, to integr8e & dibl.
                (Unless I get any credit for "philosophy" ... ?)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                X