This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu and system hardware requirements

Ok, the newbie support forum is the perfect place for this question. I found several somewhat related posts, but not exactly what I needed.
    I'm a Windows user who's working on migrating to Linux. I've tried several distributions and like Ubuntu, and the look of Kubuntu (KDE desktop). From www.linux.org I get this info on system requirements:
    "For best results, this use of Linux requires newer hardware. As with anything, the newer the better. At the time of this writing, you really need a system that's at the Pentium III/AMD Athlon class or better with at least 256 MB of RAM. In order to install all the nice programs that will help you get your work done, you'll need at least 4 GB of space in your hard drive. You'll also need some additional space to store your files."
    (available at http://www.linux.org/info/wanttouse.html )
    So it seems to me, based on the live CDs and distributions I've run and installed (Kubuntu & Ubuntu 7.10; Kubuntu 6.06, 8.0.4; Xubuntu 7.10) on various systems, it seems that if a computer will run Windows XP it will run Kubuntu. I know there are other distributions that require vastly different (lesser) hardware, and that Linux is infinitely customizeable, but I do particularly like Kubuntu, the Debian framework, and KDE desktop. I've got some older hardware (we're talking either Pentium II processors at approx 700mHz or AMD K-6 at approx 400 mHz with 64 MB RAM, in some cases 96 MB RAM) that I'd like to run Kubuntu on but I read that the minimum RAM is 128 MB for the KDE desktop.
    Here's my question: if Kubuntu 7,10 works fine on Windows XP capable systems, is there a version of Kubuntu that will work fine on computers "designed for" Windows 2000? All of the hardware specs I mentioned above can run Windows 2000 fine, whereas they all struggle (or fail outright) with Windows XP and it seems to be the same way with Kubuntu 7.10.
    Now, knowing I could run from the command line, I should probably ask if there is a desktop environment that is more suitable to these requirements (Gnome, KDE, X, etc.?). The WinXP / Win2K reference is just an easier way for me to think about it. Just due to circumstance (and employment) I've been with Windows since DOS.
    If I'm on the completely wrong track with this let me know. My goal is to get a "Windows-like" environment for non-technical users on this older hardware and Kubuntu would be the way I'd go if the equipment was just a little better.
    Thanks for any advice/suggestions as I read on in the forums.

Re: Kubuntu and system hardware requirements

Ubuntu System Requirements (I think, that both Ubuntu (Gnome desktop) and Kubuntu (KDE desktop) requirements are same (about ))
    This page details the hardware required to run Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron).

Some of the hardware specifications quoted on this page are estimates. You may be able to run Ubuntu successfully on hardware of a lower specification than that specified, although performance is likely to be very poor.

The minimum requirements are only likely to allow a server (non-graphical) installation to run well. The recommended minimum requirements should allow you to run a graphical installation of Ubuntu well.
    Hardy is in the beta stage: Hardy Release Schedule, Plans, Artwork, Release Notes, Screenshots and Upgrading

Xubuntu is the lightest (of the *buntus): Get Xubuntu
    Minimum system requirements

To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM.

To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on your hard disk.

Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 192 MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB RAM.

From Kubuntu 6.06 LTS Here for the Long Term
    Recommended Minimum Requirements:

Install Type Memory Hard Drive Space
    Desktop 256 megabytes 3 gigabytes
    Server 64 megabytes 500 megabytes

Here's my question: if Kubuntu 7,10 works fine on Windows XP capable systems, is there a version of Kubuntu that will work fine on computers "designed for" Windows 2000? All of the hardware specs I mentioned above can run Windows 2000 fine, whereas they all struggle (or fail outright) with Windows XP and it seems to be the same way with Kubuntu 7.10.
    You have tried with the live CD ?

Earlier:

Topic: Excessive memory usage
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3083399.0

Topic: Kubuntu 7.04 on Compaq Presario 700 via Live DVD
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086671.0

Topic: 384 mb for live cd intall
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087479.0
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for the info! I've tried the live CDs and they actually gave me the most trouble as far as a usable system (low RAM and all). Using the alternate CD distributions to do a text install on these low-end systems seems to have greatly enhanced usability on sub-par equipment. But, with my new understanding of the "alternate install" images I think I'm asking the wrong question - slightly.

It seems that different versions (of Kubuntu, Ubuntu, etc.buntu) aren't designed/developed the way Windows is - i.e. every sequential OS release requires greater and greater hardware. It seems that just the particular desktop you run determines (to a greater or lesser extent) what kind of system requirements you'll really need; something I should have realized - the graphical interface, and its complexity, are what really require the greater system requirements. Am I thinking correctly on this?
      I appreciate the help, and have been working on this myself in the meantime.

Comment

Basically "YES", you've got the right idea. New Linux distro versions do not automatically imply a bigger hardware resource consumption.

I would advise steer clear of the very cutting edge of new hardware, particularly new graphics card models. Stick with an established Nvidia or ATI or Intel graphics chip, and you should be OK on that. Run away from SIS graphics.

Be careful about printers. Lexmarks basically don't work, due to lack of drivers. Canons and Epsons are spotty. I personally would steer clear of dual function scanner/printers, although some have been successful. Check on linuxprinting.org before you buy a printer to use with Linux.

Some of the new laptops have issues with lid-closing, hibernating, etc. Most of these can be worked out. Look at Ubuntu Forum and see which hardware seems to cause the most problems, then you'll know to buy something else. There's at least one or two models of CD ROM drive out there that won't run the installer correctly, no matter what folks do. I can't remember the make and model, but it's not a real commonly used one. If you search for "busybox" errors, you'll probably come across a case or two that were caused by an incompatible optical drive.

Comment

Great - I think I understand more of the "mechanics" of the Linux (or at least *ubuntu) OS and upgrade cycle. I think I'm well on my way to being able to recommend this to others (those who just need a computer and are sick of Windows). I generally stay away from the cutting edge technology only because of the cost$ involved in acquiring it, so that's not an issue as far as brand new hardware goes for me.
          And as an aside, I did manage to get a Lexmark E320 (not the Optra E320) to work with Kubuntu. I'm somewhat of a tinkerer with old hardware (or perhaps I'm just too cheap to splurge for cutting edge stuff!). Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

The Live CD is a great hardware tester, by the way, and the price is right.

Comment

Working...
            X