This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.pdf's and adobe

I think there are three reasons why I still keep a windows machine in use and Adobe Acrobat is one of them. As a charity volunteer I help people complete complex government claim forms. Here in the UK nearly all of these forms are available on line in .pdf format. The type of .pdf used allows it to be completed by filling in boxes, typing in explanations on the computer then saving the file locally for printing off when I am back at the office. I have yet to find an equivalent .pdf reader in Linux/Kubuntu.

I wish there was then I could have a totally Linux laptop.

I also note from a Mac Magazine that Adobe are going to develop their "Air" platform for Linux. Will the Kubuntu developers be picking this up I wonder?

Roy

Re: .pdf's and adobe

There is Acrobat Reader for Linux and it is absolutely free: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Do the following steps:
    1. Download the file. It will be a .rpm package so you have to convert it to a .deb.
    2. Install the 'alien' app. This program will convert the .rpm package to a .deb. You can install it from the console by typing the following:
    Code:
    apt-get install alien
    3. In the console go to the downloaded file and type:
    Code:
    alien AdobeReader_enu-8.1.2-1.i486.rpm --scripts
    Where the AdobeReader_enu-8.1.2-1.i486.rpm file is the one you've just downloaded from the adobe's site.
    4. Open konqueror and navigate to the converted file.
    5. Click on the .deb package and voila.

Comment

Just updating this as the original poster did not report success or failure. In case anyone (like me) gets here through a search - Adobe now have a .deb package of their Reader available for download and better yet, synaptic has packages to DL.
      Probably redundant info by now but you never know.

Comment

IMO: Anything from Adobe is equivalent to a virus. Memory hogs, memory leaks, lockups...you name it.

Okular works well - whats functions are you missing

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X