Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the minimum system requirements for KDE 4?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the minimum system requirements for KDE 4?

I have heard a lot about KDE 4 and would like to take a look for myself. However, I can't seem to find any definitive list of hardware requirements. Based on what you see below about my system, what is your opinion?
    Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Re: What are the minimum system requirements for KDE 4?

If KDE 3x is working on that rig, I don't see why KDE4 won't. I wouldn't try compiz, however -- that might be pressing your luck.

Comment

That's very similar to my Dell Inspiron 3800. To be truthful, I had to instal Xubuntu on that one and I really haven't tested KDE4 on it. Kubuntu 7.10 did run on it, but slow. I have seen considerable speed ups with KDE4, so there might be hope there. Yes, that Graphics card won't support Compiz.

Edit: Just tied KDE4 on there. Slow to boot. Ran OK and must admit it really looked impressive on there. Problem. Max resolution on that machine is 800x600. I've been fighting VirtualBox at that and KDE4 isn't 800x600 friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
        I have seen considerable speed ups with KDE4, so there might be hope there.
        Silly me. I assumed new versions always ran slower and needed more hardware resources. Windoze habits are hard to break.
        Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Comment

its apparently more resource friendly than kde3. (up to 40% less memory from what i've read).
          <br />

Comment

Originally posted by echoes~
            its apparently more resource friendly than kde3. (up to 40% less memory from what i've read).
            wow, that's nice.
            [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

I have my answer. I just tried it.

Very pretty

Very sluggish

Very buggy

If I went through and turned off some of the eye candy I might get better performance, but why would I use a neutered KDE4 when KDE3 works perfectly for me?

At least the process was painless with the help of this post:
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091539.0

Comment

well just keep in mind that kde4 is a work in progress.
                it still may be a bit buggy compared to kde 3.5 but that is to be expected somewhat, since its so new. it will only get better from here.
                <br />

Comment

Working...
                X