This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMWare Player 2 -- Works with vmware-any-any-update-116

I got my VMWare Player 2.02 Win XP Pro machine running on Hardy Heron KDE 4. There was a twist -- it requires the vmware-any-any-update-116 patch to be run. Here's how I did it -- YMMV.

1. Make a "winxpkinda" folder in my home directory (you can name it whatever you wish).

2. Copied my known-working vmdk and vmx files from my other OS installation into the new folder.

3. Copied the previously-downloaded VMWare Player 2.02 tarball onto my desktop and extracted it.

4. Went into the extracted folder and executed
    Code:
    sudo ./vmware-install.pl
    The installation seemed to work correctly, but the configuration step failed with errors.

5. Went to this link and downloaded the any-any-update-116 file to my desktop. Extracted the tarball.

6. Went into the extracted folder and ran
    Code:
    sudo ./runme.pl
    - it ran the vmware configuration script with no errors this time.

7. Alt-F2 "/usr/bin/vmplayer" launches the player.

8. I chose "Open Existing Virtual Machine" and then browsed to my "winxpkinda" folder, clicked the vmx file, and it asks the source of the VM. I clicked the "I copied it" button, and it was very happy to launch my 1600 x 1200 Win XP window, and of course my applications were right there waiting for me as I last left them.

It's a very cool way to run the 2 or 3 apps that don't have any equivalent in the open source world (so far).

Re: VMWare Player 2 -- Works with vmware-any-any-update-116

i prefer to wait for the new release from vmware

Comment

Working...
    X