This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be Free With KDE 4.0!

The KDE Community is thrilled to announce the immediate availability of KDE 4.0. This significant release marks both the end of the long and intensive development cycle leading up to KDE 4.0 and the beginning of the KDE 4 era.

http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.0/

This is truly the start of something amazing!

Get your KDE 4.0 hot off the grill! Instructions are at http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.php
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: Be Free With KDE 4.0!

Hi,

I tried it this afternoon. It looks great, but IMO, I think it's not ready for Kubuntu 7.10.
    With composite enabled, it is reacting slowly. I don't think it is my PC( Pentium Dualcore 3 ghz and 2 gigs RAM + Nvidia Ge-force 7600 GT), because with compiz-fusion it is running great. Next week I will give it a try with Suse 10.3 and see if it is any better.

Cantodea
    Main system: Dell Studio XPS 8100 with Kubuntu 10.04<br />Main system: Dell Inspiron 1720 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Second system: Acer Aspire 1500 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Third system: Dell Dimension Desktop with Kubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista<br />Fourth system: Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista

Comment

works fast as *%$£ on mine (dual core 2.2ghz 4gb ram)

nice stuff, only used it for the last 10mins but am suitable impressed! having issues finding things that i want to change (ie right click apps menu, panel options) but thats just mainly fluff things, everything thing else works like a treat, and looks slick!

Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

Yes I couldn't agree more! I have faffed around with my set up and have found some widgets (Garfield comic, my pics etc, and I am very impressed. Yes it is a bit slow but no big deal for me anyways.

TG

Comment

where did you find them? also how do you add them in?

also i found that running 'sudo' commands in konsole and using my normal root password works as normal, however opening package manager asks for the root password but doesn't accept it - any ideas?
          Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

Now I've been waiting so long for the release of KDE4, but somehow I can't install kde4-core. If I click on "Request Install", in the column "Requested" (don't know the correct english label ) "DEFECT" is displayed.

Has someone the same problem?

Comment

have you tried running it from the terminal?

sudo apt-get install kde4-core

that's how i got mine running

Comment

I tried it, but it's not working.
                I can't quote it in English because my shell speaks German, but the last error message is like: "E: Broken Package"

don't know how to fix this

Comment

if you have synaptic package manager -open that it has a custom filter for broken packages, you can find it using that.

Comment

I don't know what you mean at the moment

Comment

where did you find them? also how do you add them in?

also i found that running 'sudo' commands in konsole and using my normal root password works as normal, however opening package manager asks for the root password but doesn't accept it - any ideas?
                      You get the extra widgets by installing:
                      extragear-plasma

as for the password have a look here:
                      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089653.0
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Aw man...am I the first with problems?

Code:
                        $ Xephyr :1
                        Extended Input Devices not yet supported. Impelement it at line 625 in ../../../../hw/kdrive/src/kinput.c
                        Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic, removing from list!
                        X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
                        I'm continuing on:
                        then and run /usr/lib/kde4/bin/startkde in the Xerphyr xterm.
                        and will be back with results after rebooting and all.

Comment

With that error message--
                          Code:
                          Impelement it at line 625 in ../../../../hw/kdrive/src/kinput.c
                          I really don't know how to get to or where to start for that path to: "/hw/..."
                          I'm not shutting down till 2:30 or so...
                          Aaahhhh!!!

Comment

Looks awesome!!! I haven't had much of a chance to play around with KDE 4 yet, due to several other projects I'm currently working on, but everything really looks like it's coming together great
                            Asus G1S-X3:
                            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

How to install kde 4?Can I do it from Adept.I don't understand guide from http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.php
                              Where to add and how deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu gutsy main

Comment

Working...
                              X