X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Be Free With KDE 4.0!

Originally posted by Rog131

The easiest way: if it is working don't fix it !

But you can clean your system (remove kde4 packages). The problem is that sometimes packages from ppa repositories can get your package management confused:

Topic: problems trying to remove kde4
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091100.0
    and
    Topic: Trashed Kubuntu How can I get it back?
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090495.0

Solution is to remove all ppa packages and install clean packages from the ordinary repositories.

Well, my goal was to clean my system of kde4 packages, but after looking at it further, it seems like it might just be easier to re-install, which I really don't want to do. But removing some of those packages seems to require removing kde almost entirely, which is why I say it might be easier to just remove everything and then re-install.

If I leave everything as is, will I run into problems in the future? Will I have any problems updating these kde4 leftovers in the future? That last thing is my biggest concern.

Thanks for the help Rog131.

Comment

it seems like it might just be easier to re-install, which I really don't want to do. But removing some of those packages seems to require removing kde almost entirely, which is why I say it might be easier to just remove everything and then re-install.
      Maybe this helps a bit:
      FAQ: Removing KDE4 from mixed system
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3092206.0

About reinstallation

If you have a separate partition /1/ for /home then reinstallation is easy. Separate home lets you to reinstall your system without losing personal data.

If I leave everything as is, will I run into problems in the future? Will I have any problems updating these kde4 leftovers in the future?.
      Hmm - hard questions. My quess: Yes, there could be problems with upgrade. There are now lot of problems with updates/upgrades :

- kernal panic on upgrading to 3.5.9
      - Problem with update
      - Problems upgrading from 7.04

/1/ FAQ: How to Partition
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

The main problem I have with uninstalling everything from the ppa repositories is that I've spent the past month customizing kde 3.5.8 and have just gotten it to where it's perfect. So, I'm afraid of losing all of my settings that I've put so much time into.

So let me ask you a question, please. I'll probably upgrade to Hardy soon after the official release. Won't upgrading to the official release of Hardy disable the ppa repositories, and begin using the default ones for everything, including the stuff I have from the ppa repositories now?

If you can answer that question, then the answer would seem to be real simple for me, because I can just leave everything as is, if your answer is yes, but will definitely want to "clean" my system, if the answer is no.

I really appreciate the help Rog131.

Comment

Your settings are in /home/username/.kde so you won't be fooling with that.

As for removing kde4 I did it like rog suggested and then did:
          I also removed kde4-core

Code:
          sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install adept
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install kdm
          I think you will get some problems with the ppa repos and the HH version of kde4, so my guess would be to do a clean sweep before dist-upgrading.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Short test (simulating upgrade):

Topic: Upgrade Test
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3092232.0

As Fintan said, your personal (user) settings are in the /home. They should be safe. But you can backup those settings:

Topic: How to save my desktop settings?
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091621.0
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Well, I did it and everything seems to be fine, so far.

I truly appreciate all of the help, guys! I'm ever-more impressed with kubuntu and the kubuntu community.

I do have one suggestion, though. The announcement for KDE 4.02 needs a warning to let people know that it's incomplete and can't be easily removed., without potentially causing problems with future upgrades. Perhaps I should have known better, but the lack of any warnings, or keywords, led me to believe that it was more finished and could be easily removed.

Having said that, I'm loving kubuntu and have you guys to thank for helping me to keep my system clean. Hopefully I'll be able to pay it back, or forward, one day.

Comment

Will KDE 4 be coming standard with Kubuntu 8.04? If not, does anyone know when it will be packed into a Kubuntu update?

I'm interested in moving to KDE 4, but just don't want to take up extra space or take a big risk. I would rather get it stable and as a replacement for KDE 3.

Comment

Originally posted by kennethmsmith
                  Will KDE 4 be coming standard with Kubuntu 8.04? If not, does anyone know when it will be packed into a Kubuntu update?
                  There should be 2 versions of CDs for 8.04, one for KDE3 and another for KDE4

Comment

Yeah... I also just saw another post elsewhere that stated it would most likely be packed in as standard for Kubuntu 8.10. Or at least some version of kde 4 would be.

Comment

Something I've been wondering for a little while now, does anybody know why the widget on the top-right corner of the KDE4 desktop includes a "Zoom Out" function? I can't seem to determine the logistics behind it
                      Asus G1S-X3:
                      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Was wondering that myself. I also wish I knew of a way to remove it completely.

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
                          Something I've been wondering for a little while now, does anybody know why the widget on the top-right corner of the KDE4 desktop includes a "Zoom Out" function? I can't seem to determine the logistics behind it
                          it's function isn't decided yet

Comment

it's function isn't decided yet
                            Asus G1S-X3:
                            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I have been playing around with KDE 4.0.3 over the weekend and so far seems as stable as KDE 3.5.9. Still getting used to the new kmenu but I'll say its usable in the present form. Will definitely be a great desktop once all the bugs are ironed out and the applications ported over. IMO this is the future of desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
                                Can you actually log in and load your desktop, or does it crash before it gets that far?
                                I get the log-on screen and enter my info.
                                I then get the KDE 4.0 "splash screen" with the flashing icons for all the start ups
                                Then I get the desktop for a split second and then I'm dumped
                                back at the log-in screen. KDE 3.5 works fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X