X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Be Free With KDE 4.0!

Originally posted by Grazzhoppa
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    The thing told you what to do. Reading is underrated.
    The Nomad's Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad
      if you would have read my post you would have seen that i had already tried that without success. reading is underrated.

Comment

woohoo! kde 4 is up and running! thanks for all your help guys!

Comment

KDE 4 looks great but frankly I'm afraid to try it at this point. In the normal course of things, Kubuntu has been great for me but the upgrade process since dapper up to gutsy has always been a bitch and caused things to fall apart on my system. This has, in every case, led to a clean install and hours spent customizing things the way I wanted them again.

So my question is this: How stable is KDE 4 for the average Kubuntu or the KDE based distro user?? Is it really worth upgrading now or should we wait a while while the kinks are worked out (which they're inevitably a large amount in any new major release of software)

Also, will most of the current KDE 3.5 based apps such as K3b, Kaffeine, Amarok, and then those GTK based apps I need such as Sound Juicer and Audio Tag Tool work as well in KDE 4 as they do in KDE 3.5 or will KDE 3.5 do I need to be sure that packages I'm using under KDE 3.5 have been upgraded themselves to work with KDE 4??

Another question: IF I do decide to run with KDE 4 in the near future, will installing it automatically remove KDE 3.5??

I'm always up for wanting to try the latest and greatest and KDE 4 looks great, I just wanna make sure I'm not gonna cause a big mess and spend hours fixing it again!!

Comment

Installing KDE 4 will not uninstall KDE 3.x, rather, it provides the option of running either a KDE 3.x or KDE 4 session (which you can choose from the login screen's drop-down menu). As far as application compatibility, my KDE 4 apps work fine in KDE 3.5 sessions, and my KDE 3.5 and Gnome apps work fine in KDE 4 sessions, so it's not much of an issue

If you don't want to install KDE 4.0 now, that's fine; it does still have some bugs, but reminds me very much of the final Gutsy beta (everything for the most part seems to work just fine-and-dandy). The initial KDE 4.0 launch was not meant to be as much a "stable" release, as it was meant to attract new users/testers who weren't willing to test the "beta" versions; as such, there are still a few glitches that need to be worked out, but it's really, really close to becoming a finished product, and I personally find it awesome

Oh, if you decide to install KDE 4.0, be very careful not to install v.3.9.x packages (I just spent 3 days trying to figure out why I couldn't install Kmahjongg-kde4, only to find out I had the outdated kde4games library installed).
            Asus G1S-X3:
            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad
              if you would have read my post you would have seen that i had already tried that without success. reading is underrated.
              I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't have been so cynical. But as it says in your post, you left out the "-f" option.

Glad that it's working now, anyway!
              The Nomad's Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

My head hurts! I really want to install KDE 4 and see what it's like, but I am confused about the best and safest way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewSchenker
                  My head hurts! I really want to install KDE 4 and see what it's like, but I am confused about the best and safest way to do it.
                  Well, I would not forecast relief for your headache, if you install KDE 4!

However, I don't think/haven't heard that it is actually harmful to anything. Just open the Konsole,
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get install kde4-core
                  and then go find something else to do for 20 minutes. Maybe take a nap -- you'll need your energy when you come back and see what you have done!

Comment

Something strange I noticed about kde4-core, it's version is 3.x, but it depends on 4.0 packages
                    Asus G1S-X3:
                    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      Well, I would not forecast relief for your headache, if you install KDE 4!

However, I don't think/haven't heard that it is actually harmful to anything. Just open the Konsole,
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get install kde4-core
                      and then go find something else to do for 20 minutes. Maybe take a nap -- you'll need your energy when you come back and see what you have done!
                      Your post does not fill me with confidence! I am very happy with the way Kubuntu runs on my system now, and I just use it every day for work without a hitch. Not sure if I want to disturb my perfect little world!

But then again, I'm just itching to always try what's new.

Oh, what to do, what to do....

Comment

Not sure if I want to disturb my perfect little world!

Your caution is justified. However, the way KDE 4 is installed, as an additional "session type", if you hate it, you can simply choose to boot into KDE 3.5 instead. So the only real "damage" you can do is to use some hdd capacity for stuff you may not like.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                          Not sure if I want to disturb my perfect little world!

Your caution is justified. However, the way KDE 4 is installed, as an additional "session type", if you hate it, you can simply choose to boot into KDE 3.5 instead. So the only real "damage" you can do is to use some hdd capacity for stuff you may not like.
                          I do like how it installs to try it out. That was perfect for me! It took me a while to say "yes" to installing it, but can say I'm glad I did. Way better than using the LiveCD that was offered.

Comment

Well I have it up and running and so far haven't run into any problems. I can't say how much of a relief it is to have KDE 3.5 as a backup though if I need it. Currently I'm attempting to do all of my work in KDE 4 and I like it. We'll see if that changes sometime in the future

Comment

anyone know how to change the menu on the right click from desktop to application yet?
                              Easily done in 3, cant find setting for it in 4
                              Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

I downloaded kde4 live cd and there are many games.But when I downloaded kde4 core there isn't so many games.How to install that games.Can somebody tell my?I think that I need to type something like sudo-apt kde4-games?

Comment

Working...
                                X