Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What wireless notebook cards work right out of the box?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What wireless notebook cards work right out of the box?

I've been researching how to get a Linksys WPC11v4 (rtl8180 chipset) working on a T20 Thinkpad, either using ndiswrapper (worked in Dapper) or using the newer driver (rtl8180-sa2400.sourceforge.net) which seems to require getting source code out of CVS and compiling. But someone in the Ubuntu forums had the right idea: just cut the Gordian knot and use a card that works right out of the box, specifically the D-Link WNA-1330 (haven't tried it myself, just reporting what that poster said).

Which leads to the question: What other 802.11b/g cards (if any) have been found to work "right out of the box" under Feisty? I'd be interested to see what others' successful experiences have been.

Re: What wireless notebook cards work right out of the box?

Dlink WUA-1340

OH yeah I used this one too DWA-642

Comment

My Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG worked with Gutsy, no problem.

Comment

My Linksys wireless-g USB adaptor worked right of the box. Model wusb54gc. Best of luck!

-Emo

Comment

On an Asus G1S : ipw3945 works out of the box on hardy heron, didn't try elsewhere...
          On gentoo, working also since drivers were included in the 2.6.24 kernel.

Comment

At this point a lot of people are having a hell of a time trying to get wireless working with Broadcom chipsets. Myself included. I have a Broadcom 4318 chipset and I can get the b43 driver loaded but knetworkmanager fails to scan for open networks. Even performing a manual scan with iwlist scan fails. I've alread started a thread at the Ubuntu forum on this. Results are varying. Ndiswrapper completely fails to work at this point even in beta. When loading ndiswrapper and using the standard commands in various sources for Ubuntu/Kubuntu ndiswrapper loads, fails to show in System/Network, and knetworking doesn't do a thing. I did at one time have the b43 driver working and loved the progress that project has made with it. If they get the b43 driver working out of the box with Kubuntu, I'll never use ndiswrapper again.
            Dell Inspiron N5010 Intel Core i5 Arrandale M460 processor Intel graphics 8Gig RAM Seagate 640Gig HD Broadcom BCM4113 Wireless Linux Mint Rebecca (Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr).

Comment

Originally posted by TFrog
              At this point a lot of people are having a hell of a time trying to get wireless working with Broadcom chipsets. ...
              Which gets me to think: wouldn't it rather be useful to list the wireless chipsets which work out of the box with Linux/Ubuntu rather than the particular adapter models?

Comment

Originally posted by a_flj_
                Which gets me to think: wouldn't it rather be useful to list the wireless chipsets which work out of the box with Linux/Ubuntu rather than the particular adapter models?
                That's what's normally done. I usually google it, and there will be some posting somewhere. However here is an excellent list which is relevant to Kubuntu.

There is lots of information out there, but the real problem is that manufacturers are sleazy. They will change the chipset without changing the model number. Yes, you will usually see a version change, but that is not advertised - you have to look at the package or plug in the device. Knowing all this I recently did my research and bought a USB wireless device. When it arrived, I discovered that the manufacturer had recently changed the chipset. I'm not generalizing based on my own experiences (several), but there are many examples of this out there. So the moral is, watch out for version numbers and (if possible) check the package or ask the vendor (if possible) to verify it.

Comment

Ole Juul,

What you stated about manufacturers is quite true. Broadcom being the worst offender. However, under new management they are finally starting to show some Linux love. Shame they won't do so for their older chipsets though. Now I'm on an even older HP laptop and it has another offending Broadcom chipset (4306). Seems no matter what distro I've tried the open source drivers (b43) fail to work as well as the windows driver under ndiswrapper. Last wireless chipset I owned that worked really well with anything other than ndiswrapper was an old wireless card for a desktop computer. It was a DLink card with an Atheros chipset. It worked well with just about every distro I've encountered. However, Atheros has been very nice to the Linux community even providing documentation for their chipsets so that drivers can be reverse engineered. Most others have not done so.

There was at one time a project to make Linux much like Windows with the driver situation. I forget the name of it while writing this but it's about 4 to 6 years old now. That project has never been brought into the kernel to make things simple for even the hardware manufacturers. Perhaps someday. It would definitely make the DRM issue in the kernel much simpler. Till then we wait for better support.
                  Dell Inspiron N5010 Intel Core i5 Arrandale M460 processor Intel graphics 8Gig RAM Seagate 640Gig HD Broadcom BCM4113 Wireless Linux Mint Rebecca (Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr).

Comment

Ole Jule and Tfrog posted most of what I might have posted. I've found that just about any "atheros" card works fine if the disto has done it's homework on the driver or if one can download it.

The linksys mentioned above model WPC3000NV1 also works and the Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 ghz WPC 54GS ver 02 have almost always worked for me on just about all distros.

But by and large, as mentioned above, just about anything "Atheros" seems to work.

woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I recently got a wireless device and it turns out to have a newer Atheros chipset which didn't appear to work with Linux. but it looks like there are people working on the drivers as we speak. I had to hunt down a newer kernel and some firmware to get it to work. I did get it happening, but it is missing a lot of functionality. Anyway, I'm not in a hurry, and I appreciate the work that developers are doing. I don't think Atheros are really being the helpful ones here. Are they giving out the needed information to develop proper drivers?

Comment

Working...
                      X