X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ripping CDs to any format other than Ogg Vorbis

Running Gutsy on a Compaq laptop...

Can't seem to be able to rip to flac or mp3 despite flac, libflac, and kubuntu-restricted-extras are installed. I tried configuring k3b and the KDE control panel, but there is no options for flac or lame/mp3.

Perhaps a bug should be filed? The kubuntu-restricted-extras package should really include the packages for encoding to mp3 as well. Flac support should be included out of the box.

Does anyone else have this problem?

-Klaus

Re: ripping CDs to any format other than Ogg Vorbis

Here mp3 - rip is working. Do you have:

liblame0
    This package contains the dynamic libraries, which provides the encoding
    functionality of lame.
    and
    lame
    This package contains the frontend encoder binary.
    Flac needs:
    flac
    This package contains the command-line tools flac (used for encoding and
    decoding FLACs) and metaflac (used for manipulating FLAC metadata.)
    and libraries
    libflac8
    This package contains the runtime library libFLAC.
    libflac++6
    This package contains the runtime library libFLAC++.

The kubuntu-restricted-extras package should really include the packages for encoding to mp3 as well.
    Yes, it should
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for your reply Rog131.

I just needed to install lame, as liblame0 was already installed.
      I made sure all the flac packages were installed but I still can't encode in flac through kde or k3b. I have the libk3b2-mp3 package but according to the description it only provides a decoder not an encoder. Weird, as I was able to encode with lame in openSuse once I installed the k3b-mp3 package.

Comment

Just wanted to pop on and say thanks for the info. I'm relatively new to Linux, and have been using Ubuntu proper until a few days ago when I decided to give this whole KDE thing a shot. Sooooo much better than Gnome IMHO. It would be a LOT less confusing switching between Ubuntu and Kubuntu (and Xubuntu, I assume) if their codec systems were more in sync with one another and the same rules applied universally. This post was EXACTLY what I needed to get my Amarok and K3B working the way I need them to. Again, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by klausdiemaus
          I made sure all the flac packages were installed but I still can't encode in flac through kde or k3b
          Odd, I just have those three packages rog131 mentioned and regularly use k3b to rip to flac (also have the package flac123 but that is unnecessary for ripping). Maybe you should have a try ripping with a different program for example soundKonverter which is in the repos.

Comment

I tried opensuse 10.3 and I still have the same problem, so I moved back to Ubuntu, and then used Vista for awhile, then thought of buying a Macbook for a while, now I'm back to a dual-boot between Vista and Ubuntu. I like Ubuntu with Gnome as it's more visually aesthetic than Kubuntu's KDE, yet, I get strange lock-ups (particularily with Firefox or Rhythmbox). I do find that KDE can be nice and very functional but I was just annoyed with not being able to rip cds to the format I wanted. It's pretty easy in Gnome, so it should be easy in KDE. I'm going to try again though. If this problem persists I might file a bug.

Comment

Installed Hardy Heron, still have the same problems. I'm going to double check if I have all the required packages... Having trouble with the repositories right now...

Comment

I use Grip for ripping. I usually rip and encode to ogg but all the other formats are supported.
                I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

as of intrepid, kde 4.2;

synaptic tells me i have(flac search);
                  flac
                  libflac++6
                  libflac8
                  libtag1c2a
                  libtunepimp5
                  libtunepimp5-mp3
                  soundconverter
                  vorbis-tools

a previous post mentioned grip, so i installed that as well before checkin if k3b would
                  offer me flac encoding.

i've tested encoding via k3b(workin) and playback via amarok(workin)

compaq presario v5208TU, <br />intel mobile 945GM/PM/GMS 943/940GML<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; celeron M 410 @1.46GHz, 1.96G ram<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Broadcom BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; #! 9.04(solid!) and LMDE

Comment

Working...
                  X